Canonization - basis?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Agrazing_Mace
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Agrazing_Mace

Guest
I am curious to know the basis for such a bold act by men (canonization). I have always just accepted it as a process the one, holy, apostolic Church is justified in performing.

My reasoning has always been simple- if Christ gave the keys of the kingdom to Peter and his successors, then that pretty much gives them free reign to allow anyone in they see fit. I know that may sound crass, but that’s the approach I’ve taken.

Still, the act of canonization (guaranteeing someone’s place in Heaven) seems a bit bold to me- and can come off as arrogant to those not in tune with the faith. Can anyone offer a better explanation regarding this topic?
 
When you say “guaranteeing one’s place in heaven” what do you mean? Do you mean, like, reserving a spot?

Because my understanding (sorry, no documentation to back it up) is that declaring one a saint happens after documented proof of miracles/cures that have come about due to the intercession of the deceased person, meaning, they’ve got a seat near Jesus & were able to put in a good word with him for you & your request.🙂

So canonization is saying, “This person is definitely in heaven right now.”
 
First, they aren’t actually sending people to Heaven who weren’t there to begin with. The person being canonized is being recognized that they have already been in Heaven since their time of death.

How do we know that the person is in Heaven?
  1. The person has lived an exemplary life (that is, if you tell their life story to a child, you have no fears if the child decides to imitate that person - no harm would come to the child - it is an example that we can all safely follow).
  2. There is nothing in the circumstances of their death to indicate that they had ever renounced their faith, or took their own life, or gave into any last-minute temptations to despair, or anything like that.
  3. People who have been “praying to” (asking for prayers from) that person are reporting miracles, and in at least three cases, no scientific explanation, no deceitfulness, and no other explanation can be found other than that the passed-on person must have been praying for that miracle to happen.
The testing for this sort of thing often takes years; they take it extremely seriously, and the process is very scientific and very skeptical - it can’t be declared a miracle until absolutely every other possibility (illusion, lying, science, etc.) has been ruled out.
 
I apologize- after reading aloud to my wife, she even seems to think I didn’t word it the way I should have. In any event, thanks for your responses.

To clarify, I am well aware that canonization takes place after the death of that person. My question lies in how the Church can be so sure as to proclaim someone in Heaven, when ultimately, that is a judgment made by God. Truly, one may have seemingly lived an exemplary life, but as we all know, that exemplary life must be lived-out until the end.

Though it seems absurd, one may have placed themself in mortal sin just before death without anyone else knowing about it. So, going along with the responses you all have given me, I’m assuming that these cases are ones that are simply tossed-out due to unsuredness.
 
I am curious to know the basis for such a bold act by men (canonization). I have always just accepted it as a process the one, holy, apostolic Church is justified in performing.

My reasoning has always been simple- if Christ gave the keys of the kingdom to Peter and his successors, then that pretty much gives them free reign to allow anyone in they see fit. I know that may sound crass, but that’s the approach I’ve taken.

Still, the act of canonization (guaranteeing someone’s place in Heaven) seems a bit bold to me- and can come off as arrogant to those not in tune with the faith. Can anyone offer a better explanation regarding this topic?
newadvent.org/cathen/02364b.htm
 
I for your responses.

To clarify, I am well aware that canonization takes place after the death of that person. My question lies in how the Church can be so sure as to proclaim someone in Heaven, when ultimately, that is a judgment made by God. .
the action of the CAtholic Church in canonizing a saint (a canon is a list, the person is placed on a list of recognized saints) puts them on a list, does not place them in heaven or facilitate their entry to heaven. It acknowledges the fact that after a long, sometimes centuries, investigation, evidence of their extraordinary heroic virtue throughout their life has been established, and verified miracles through their intercession have been accepted as proof that they are, indeed, in heaven.

Bear in mind that until there was a formal process of canonization holy persons were generally venerated locally through evidence of their virtue and miracles, but that a universal church process for verifying the assertions was not yet in place, so not every saint venerated today has been canonized.

Jesus gave Peter the keys to the kingdom of heaven and power to bind and loose, so the Church, with pope as heir of Peter does have the authority, given by Christ, to make such declarations.

The question here could probably be best addressed by recourse to the tract on the CA homepage and to the many threads here on Papal authority.
 
this site, marian catechists, has a link to the site for the cause of the canonization of Fr. John Hardon SJ. it is useful here because there is a copy of the long questionairre, which all those who knew Fr. Hardon are asked to complete and submit to the person in charge of collecting evidence for the cause of his canonization.

mariancatechist.com/html/general/stjohnhardon.htm

the form is very interesting because it shows what detail is collected about every aspect of his life. There is a section addressing question posed above about the moment of death, for those who were with the person at the time of his death and can attest to the circumstances and manner of death and his disposition at the time.

I just sent this to my brother, because he knew Fr. Hardon very well and worked with him in the years and months just before his death. Fr. Hardon was instrumental in his conversion and reversion back to the practice of the Faith, and he has a great affection and respect for Fr. Hardon.
 
Annie, thanks for that link–fascinating! As I was scrolling through the questionaire, a thought came to mind:

Questions # 40–70 in particular are ones that we should all be working out the answers to right now, in our lives here on earth! Our goal is heaven, no? I wondered, “When I die, how would others answer these questions about me?” :eek:

I may print them out for encouragement!
 
right, the questionairre could be the basis for a course on “how to be a saint”
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top