Can't Pick Bible Version

  • Thread starter Thread starter Rose_Commander
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I got in the mood to read a bible in a year, I picked up a copy of the RSV-2CE. I have the hardcover edition, which is very sparse in footnotes, but does have a limited amount of cross references, for study. For me, the footnotes were always in the right place when I needed them.

I only made it so far as to read the old testament. But, without any commentary nearby, I found it readable. Just through mental fatigue, I found myself missing details but I just pushed on, no special time pressure, just kept reading.

I wanted to understand the Old Testament more, and so I digressed into reading the Jewish Publication Society Torah Commentary series. I started in 2009 and I will probably be finished with the 5-volume, 2000 or so pages fairly soon. This will be just a casual read-through of the commentary using the JPS translation of the books.

I can tell you that this commentary series is not exhaustive, if you can believe it. Of course, it does not have a Christian point of view. But, it doesn’t even cover some of the palpable issues in scripture. And, of course, for Judaism, they have the ancient commentaries starting with the Talmud. But, it is a very good coverage of the translation, historical, literary, cultural, and, of course, religious issues in the text, with very modern points of view. This commentary series addresses the scribal sources of the texts and the redational (editing) issues of each of the books. At some point in your studies, you may want the scholarly insights into the literary structure of these Bible texts.

The JPS series lacks an index in each volume, or overall, as far as I can tell. So, you have to take your own notes along the way to keep track of where the most interesting things are.

This series has the space to compare the existing copies of the Torah that are available: Masoretic, Septuagint, Samaritan, Qumran, and a couple more obscure Torah versions. The Bibles in the O.P. usually are based on a single selected version of the “original” texts, and don’t get into the more technical issues.

Since it wasn’t mentioned in any previous posts: the KJV was updated into the American Standard Version, which was further updated and modernized into the RSV. I think that’s why I like the RSV-2CE from the outset, because it carries the classic sounds of the KJV translation.

I also have a copy of the New International Version Study Bible (a Protestant version). It is a very readable, modern paraphrasing. And, it has a lot of unique study aids. Don’t pass this by, if you find a used copy in a book store or wherever. Sure, its commentaries are distinctly “protestant” but I like to see what they say about things, too.
 
When I got in the mood to read a bible in a year, I picked up a copy of the RSV-2CE. I have the hardcover edition, which is very sparse in footnotes, but does have a limited amount of cross references, for study. For me, the footnotes were always in the right place when I needed them.

I only made it so far as to read the old testament. But, without any commentary nearby, I found it readable. Just through mental fatigue, I found myself missing details but I just pushed on, no special time pressure, just kept reading.

I wanted to understand the Old Testament more, and so I digressed into reading the Jewish Publication Society Torah Commentary series. I started in 2009 and I will probably be finished with the 5-volume, 2000 or so pages fairly soon. This will be just a casual read-through of the commentary using the JPS translation of the books.

I can tell you that this commentary series is not exhaustive, if you can believe it. Of course, it does not have a Christian point of view. But, it doesn’t even cover some of the palpable issues in scripture. And, of course, for Judaism, they have the ancient commentaries starting with the Talmud. But, it is a very good coverage of the translation, historical, literary, cultural, and, of course, religious issues in the text, with very modern points of view. This commentary series addresses the scribal sources of the texts and the redational (editing) issues of each of the books. At some point in your studies, you may want the scholarly insights into the literary structure of these Bible texts.

The JPS series lacks an index in each volume, or overall, as far as I can tell. So, you have to take your own notes along the way to keep track of where the most interesting things are.

This series has the space to compare the existing copies of the Torah that are available: Masoretic, Septuagint, Samaritan, Qumran, and a couple more obscure Torah versions. The Bibles in the O.P. usually are based on a single selected version of the “original” texts, and don’t get into the more technical issues.

Since it wasn’t mentioned in any previous posts: the KJV was updated into the American Standard Version, which was further updated and modernized into the RSV. I think that’s why I like the RSV-2CE from the outset, because it carries the classic sounds of the KJV translation.

I also have a copy of the New International Version Study Bible (a Protestant version). It is a very readable, modern paraphrasing. And, it has a lot of unique study aids. Don’t pass this by, if you find a used copy in a book store or wherever. Sure, its commentaries are distinctly “protestant” but I like to see what they say about things, too.
A caution about the NIV: It is contains a subtle anti-Catholic bias in the translation itself, even without the study notes. If you look at the Greek, if the word “paradosis” is used in a positive context, it is translated as “teaching.” If in a negative context, it is translated as “tradition.” In the RSV, “paradosis” is always translated as “tradition”
 
There are some King James Bible that have the Deuterocanonical books in them. They are the 1611 King James Bible.

amazon.com/Holy-Bible-Version-Bonded-Leather/dp/1565638085/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1290644532&sr=8-3

I already have a copy of it and love it.
At the end of the year Cambridge is publishing their New Paragraph Bible (KJV) with the Apocrypha which has the more updated spelling of the 16th century revision of the KJV

amazon.com/Cambridge-Paragraph-Bible-Personal-KJ590/dp/0521195012/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290970648&sr=8-1

Note that in the picture it is a leather bound Bible but the link is to the hardback edition, however they will also publish a leather bound edition.
 
You are joking, right? The NAB? That one is so bad it had to be changed to make it acceptable for liturgical use in the US. In the UK, they use the RSV, and that one is also used by my profs here at FUS, and the New Oxford comes recommended by my pastor, as he used that one in seminary. I would go with the New Oxford.
No joke. The NAB actually has perhaps too much scholarship going into it with all the reordering and dropping of verses to suit “important” ancient sources.

It is not currently my primary translation but I do keep it for reference.
 
OP- if you want thee’s and thou’s go with DR or RSV CE. Either would be fine and sound, the RSV a little easier to follow as its a 20th centuary translation.

Here’s my overview fwiw:

For daily reading I confess I choose beauty over scholarship and read three Protestant bibles. :o

I use the KJV for its beautiful language which I find imbued with mystery and sacredness.

I also consult Tyndale’s NT and the Coverdale 1535 Bible which are even more beautifully written than the KJV to my mind (although I think I’m right in saying that the KJV takes / adopts much of these two bibles almost verbatum).

If I want beautiful language but also to be confident that it is 100% Catholic in emphasis, I read Douay Rheims Challoner Revision (Baronus Press version).

(I wish a copy of the original 16th centuary Douay Rheims was easily available in clear readable Roman text, as I find the Challoner Revision a little lacklustre sometimes and would love to see how the original reads).

I’m no bible scholar, just an ordinary Catholic looking to learn. So for a study bible, to dig a little deeper I either use:

-the RSV-CE 2nd study edition NT from Ignatius (which is great- really interesting notes and apparantly orthodox Catholic theology).

and / or

-the New Jerusalem standard edition. The notes can be quite informative, but seem a bit hit and miss for the layman reader like myself.

This is the version of the Bible used in the Mass readings at my church, which is why I got it. I bought the standard edition for the extensive notes. Sometimes they are very useful for an ordinary reader like me, sometimes I suspect that they go over my head and are too scholarly.

I dont know if the scholarship/theology in the notes is considered “liberal” or “traditional”.

Personally I dont like the language used in the scripture text itself- it may well be impeccable from a scholarly point of view to use such prosaic language, but it just grates to my ears.

Whilst I appreciate that perhaps reading the bible is not necessarily intended primarily to be an aesthetic experience, when the content is dealing with the numinous, the sacred and the mysterious, (what I find to be) grimly prosaic language and prosidy struggles to compete with the RSV, DR and KJV.

Just my 2 cents 🙂
 
(I wish a copy of the original 16th centuary Douay Rheims was easily available in clear readable Roman text, as I find the Challoner Revision a little lacklustre sometimes and would love to see how the original reads).
You may be interested in this:

Original and True Rheims New Testament

(The entire Bible is available from that site, even though that particular link is only for the New Testament.)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top