Can't remember the full quote "Saved by Grace, working through faith.. ?"

  • Thread starter Thread starter CARose
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CARose

Guest
Hi,

I’m in a running conversation with someone on FB and after responding to his post on the false teachings of the church, he insisted that the Church has NEVER taught that we eat to actual Body & Blood of Jesus Christ.

I pointed out Justin Martyrs chapter 66 from the first Apology.

This led to a common FB friend (a fallen away Catholic) jumping in to point out that the reformation was when Martin Luther realized that with the Church’s insistance on works, over Faith that he realized it’s satanic (argh).

Anyway, I’m looking for the complete quote, and it’s source, that I’ve heard many times before, and I’ve been having difficulty locating it, either in my brain (argh) or in my various resources. I figured someone here can probably pull it up in seconds.

It goes something like “We are saved, not by Faith alone, but by Grace, working through Faith.”

Does anyone have the exact quote, with reference?

Thanks!

CARose
 
Hi,

I’m in a running conversation with someone on FB and after responding to his post on the false teachings of the church, he insisted that the Church has NEVER taught that we eat to actual Body & Blood of Jesus Christ.

I pointed out Justin Martyrs chapter 66 from the first Apology.

This led to a common FB friend (a fallen away Catholic) jumping in to point out that the reformation was when Martin Luther realized that with the Church’s insistance on works, over Faith that he realized it’s satanic (argh).

Anyway, I’m looking for the complete quote, and it’s source, that I’ve heard many times before, and I’ve been having difficulty locating it, either in my brain (argh) or in my various resources. I figured someone here can probably pull it up in seconds.

It goes something like “We are saved, not by Faith alone, but by Grace, working through Faith.”

Does anyone have the exact quote, with reference?

Thanks!

CARose
Protestants often use Ephesians Ch 2; V 8 & 9, but I always add verse 10 as it completes the thought and refutes their own arguement on the point.

If you are challenged by a fallen away Catholic, so much the better! In every case, a Catholic who leaves the Church is just someone who never received good Catechesis or just was not interested; not touched by the Holy Spirit at that time. The wonderful part is that many, many fallen away Catholics are now returning to the Church (like me!:D) This time around, I decided to actually investigate and study Church teaching, read the bible, take some apologetics classes, etc. I have a long way to go, but the work is so rewarding and I feel so blessed to have this opportunity.:signofcross:
 
Hi,

I’m in a running conversation with someone on FB and after responding to his post on the false teachings of the church, he insisted that the Church has NEVER taught that we eat to actual Body & Blood of Jesus Christ.

I pointed out Justin Martyrs chapter 66 from the first Apology.

This led to a common FB friend (a fallen away Catholic) jumping in to point out that the reformation was when Martin Luther realized that with the Church’s insistance on works, over Faith that he realized it’s satanic (argh).

Anyway, I’m looking for the complete quote, and it’s source, that I’ve heard many times before, and I’ve been having difficulty locating it, either in my brain (argh) or in my various resources. I figured someone here can probably pull it up in seconds.
It goes something like “We are saved, not by Faith alone, but by Grace, working through Faith.”

Does anyone have the exact quote, with reference?
Thanks!

CARose
Luther certainly knew and respected the fact for the Real Presence in the Holy Eucharist.
As for the phrase " faith alone ", as far as i know there is only one place where it appears in the Bible:
James 2:24- See how a person is justified by works and not by faith alone.

Here is the context of that verse—any wonder Luther wanted to remove the book of James from the Protestant Bible ? :rolleyes:
Have to say, my favorite is verse 20 !🙂

Jms 2:17-So also faith of itself, if it does not have works, is dead.

18 -Indeed someone might say, “You have faith and I have works.” Demonstrate your faith to me without works, and I will demonstrate my faith to you from my works.

19 -You believe that God is one. You do well. Even the demons believe that and tremble.

20 -Do you want proof, you ignoramus, that faith without works is useless?

21 -Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered his son Isaac upon the altar?

22 -You see that faith was active along with his works, and faith was completed by the works.

23 -Thus the scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,” and he was called “the friend of God.”

24 -See how a person is justified by works and not by faith alone.

25 -And in the same way, was not Rahab the harlot also justified by works when she welcomed the messengers and sent them out by a different route?

26 -For just as a body without a spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead.
 
The full quotation is this: “We are saved by grace through faith working in love”.
 
Thanks for the help guys.

Ausculta - Do you know the source of this quote?

Thanks,

Carol Marie
 
Thanks for the help guys.

Ausculta - Do you know the source of this quote?

Thanks,

Carol Marie
I think it was Born Fundementalist, Born Again Catholic. I’ll verify that when I get home (I’m at work), and I will get back to you.

A
 
I think it was Born Fundementalist, Born Again Catholic. I’ll verify that when I get home (I’m at work), and I will get back to you.

A
I checked the book that I cited, but I failed to find that specific wording. I can’t recall where I came across it. Basically it’s a distillation of Ephesians 2: 8-10 (vs. 10 being the operative verse). I read a lot (blogs, books, periodicals, newspapers, etc), and sometimes they all bleed together in my mind. I apologize, but the source escapes me.

Does anyone else know? The citation is:
We are saved by grace through faith working in love.
 
This is a quote from the bible itself, by saint paul

‘‘For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth anything, nor uncircumcision; but faith working through love.’’

Galatians 5:6
 
This is a quote from the bible itself, by saint paul

‘‘For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth anything, nor uncircumcision; but faith working through love.’’

Galatians 5:6
Barry is the man! :clapping:

Thank you, sir.

And to know it was the bible all along. I had a feeling that it might be a biblical citation, but I didn’t check. I didn’t want to make one of those “the bible says” blunders…
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top