Canticle of Zechariah

  • Thread starter Thread starter ted1132
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

ted1132

Guest
Most accepted translation: …to give his people knowledge of salvation, through forgiveness of their sins…" Question is – …through, by, for, forgiveness of their sins…? translation makes a difference on the msg.
 
What I say every morning is “by the forgiveness of their sins”
 
“Through” and “by” would effectively mean the same things here. “For” would mean something else.
 
You, my child, shall be called the prophet of the Most High;
for you will go before the Lord to prepare his way,
to give his people knowledge of salvation
by the forgiveness of their sins.

divineoffice.org/

peace
 
Most accepted translation: …to give his people knowledge of salvation, through forgiveness of their sins…" Question is – …through, by, for, forgiveness of their sins…? translation makes a difference on the msg.
It’s Greek “en” plus dative–and dative of instrument, means or matter seems to make the best sense–so something like “by (means of)” or “through” seems perfectly acceptable.

Here is the entry:

perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.04.0057%3Aentry%3De)nn)
 
Dear Ted1132,
If you could post the “canticle” since most of us here don 't know it it would be really helpful.I hate it when posters presume to think that all of us here are as knowledgable as the poster- please assume I- and I say I- am stupid or ignorant when it comes to talking about theology- explain terms that the average person(majored in Physics- am a Surgeon- so I’m not stupid) can understand.
 
CANTICLE OF ZECHARIAH

Luke 1:68 – 79
The Messiah and his forerunner

Blessed be the Lord, the God of Israel;
he has come to his people and set them free.
He has raised up for us a mighty savior,
born of the house of his servant David.

Through his holy prophets he promised of old
that he would save us from our enemies,
from the hands of all who hate us.
He promised to show mercy to our fathers
and to remember his holy covenant.

This was the oath he swore to our father Abraham:
to set us free from the hands of our enemies,
free to worship him without fear,
holy and righteous in his sight all the days of our life.

You, my child, shall be called the prophet of the Most High;
for you will go before the Lord to prepare his way,
to give his people knowledge of salvation
by the forgiveness of their sins.

In the tender compassion of our God
the dawn from on high shall break upon us,
to shine on those who dwell in darkness and the shadow of death,
and to guide our feet into the way of peace.

Glory to the Father, and to the Son,
and to the Holy Spirit:
as it was in the beginning, is now,
and will be for ever. Amen.

divineoffice.org/

peace
 
OK rd, no reason to feel intimidated by this, I barely know the scriptures myself, except for this passage, because it is in the morning prayer for everyone(sorry). As a surgeon, you can read well, read the scriptures, took me 5 years to even get close. I have been told read the Gospels right in order, JOHN last because he wrote last and it is the most mysterious.And of course, there are 100 commentaries on each one. As far as this passage, my understanding has always been, that one can receive “knowledge of salvation” by experiencing the forgiveness. They are not mutually exclusive. Thanks for the reply… ted
Dear Ted1132,
If you could post the “canticle” since most of us here don 't know it it would be really helpful.I hate it when posters presume to think that all of us here are as knowledgable as the poster- please assume I- and I say I- am stupid or ignorant when it comes to talking about theology- explain terms that the average person(majored in Physics- am a Surgeon- so I’m not stupid) can understand.
 
It’s Greek “en” plus dative–and dative of instrument, means or matter seems to make the best sense–so something like “by (means of)” or “through” seems perfectly acceptable.

Here is the entry:

perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.04.0057%3Aentry%3De)nn)
EXCELLENT, I always believed this was true. A latin translation I have from 1962, says “through”, but I have seen “for” or some others that I believe change the whole theology of what I “believe” the HS is revealing here. Thank You…ted
 
EXCELLENT, I always believed this was true. A latin translation I have from 1962, says “through”, but I have seen “for” or some others that I believe change the whole theology of what I “believe” the HS is revealing here. Thank You…ted
You’re welcome. I agree with your understanding of this verse.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top