• Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

stbruno

Georgia Woman Held Hostage Describes Ordeal
Police Praise Mother as ‘Very Cool and Levelheaded’
By DANIEL YEE, AP

ATLANTA (March 14) - For hours, Ashley Smith gently talked to the armed suspect in Atlanta’s courthouse slayings, turning from hostage to confidant as they discussed God, family, pancakes and the massive manhunt going on outside her apartment.

‘‘I believe God brought him to my door,’’ Smith said Sunday, only hours after her 911 call ended a manhunt for Brian Nichols, who is accused of shooting four people since Friday.

Over the course of the night, Nichols untied Smith, and some of the fear lessened as they talked. Nichols told Smith he felt like ‘‘he was already dead,’’ but Smith urged him to consider the fact that he was still alive a ‘‘miracle.’’

‘‘You’re here in my apartment for some reason,’’ she told him, saying he might be destined to be caught and to spread the word of God to fellow prisoners. She told him his escape from authorities had been a ‘‘miracle.’’

Unbelievably, this woman surely witnessed God to this killer. At age 25, she has taught people twice her age a great lesson. Let us always Praise God like she did.

Can I just say…that I am a supporter of the death penalty, and yet, after reading this, I…am not as sure.

This is amazing. However, I cannot believe that she followed him to dump the truck and then drove him back. What was going on there?

Also don’t want to lose sight of the fact that polical correct madness resulted in the death of 4 innocent people.

Ms Smith is a woman of faith and handled herself well…she could have been murdered…yet she reached out to Brian Nichols …it ended peacefully and could have gone a completly different way. I admire her . I don’t believe in death penalty although some may deserve it. I have been in prison ministry for some time and have seen men really change their life…so much so that they now teach the faith in prison…they are an example to the other men around and most respect them…including the warden and staff. Will they ever get out? Some ,no…

As amazing as this womans story and compassion is, I wouldn’t be polishing Nichols laurels just yet; according to the news this morning the prosecuter said he was acting defiant and proud of his actions.

40.png
wabrams:
As amazing as this womans story and compassion is, I wouldn’t be polishing Nichols laurels just yet; according to the news this morning the prosecuter said he was acting defiant and proud of his actions.
I don’t think anyone is doing that…good grief!

I do admire Ms Smith and with God all things are possible…I don’t know how Brian Nichols soul will be judged only God knows. I’m only saying what I have come accross being invoved in prison minstry. I do know he will get death pentalty…do you doubt it?

40.png
aimee:
I don’t think anyone is doing that…good grief!
I shouldn’t have been so harsh in my statement, I’m sorry. I was merely trying to say that I hear a lot of people, beyond this forum, saying this man surely has found God. Maybe he has, but acting proud and defiant in custody doesn’t strike me as an indication.
40.png
aimee:
I do admire Ms Smith and with God all things are possible…I don’t know how Brian Nichols soul will be judged only God knows. I’m only saying what I have come accross being invoved in prison minstry. I do know he will get death pentalty…do you doubt it?
I, too, admire Ms. Smith. And yes, I’m sure he’ll fry.

40.png
Brad:
This is amazing. However, I cannot believe that she followed him to dump the truck and then drove him back. What was going on there?
What was going on there, apparently, was her realization that if she took off at that point, he would go after someone else, and more people might get hurt. She felt that she had already established enough contact or rapport that he would eventually let her go and give himself up. Brave woman. All of us in the Atlanta area are grateful to her!
40.png
aimee:
I don’t believe in death penalty although some may deserve it. I have been in prison ministry for some time and have seen men really change their life…so much so that they now teach the faith in prison…they are an example to the other men around and most respect them…including the warden and staff.
As I said on another thread - I do live just miles from where this happened, I was frightened while he was on the loose, and I’m very glad he’s caught. I think he needs to pay for his crimes, and stay in prison where he cannot hurt anyone else, but I agree with Aimee - I DO NOT support the death penalty in this or any other case, largely for the reason she cites (which is consistent with the statements of the pope and the Catechism of the Catholic Church, 2nd edition).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back