Career and college, some advice?

  • Thread starter Thread starter CroatCatholic
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CroatCatholic

Guest
So, I am a recent revert to the faith. I truly want my life to be a life pleasing to God, and a life of a true Christian.
But, I am curious about something…
I am from Bosnia and Herzegovina.
I plan to study English and Croatian Language and Literature, and I’d like to work in the Education field after finishing college. But, a question that comes into my mind is, to what extent should we devote ourselves to worldly things(in this case, studying language, literature, pedagogy)?
I mean, I would like to find a balance between my devotion to studies and a stable and sucessful career, and devotion to God.
How do you (or how did you, if you’re retired 😀) balance your studies/career with your spiritual life? Any tips or advice on gaining balance between worldly matters and spiritual matters?
 
Last edited:
Even in a monastery or convent, some people needed to take out the trash, wash the dishes, etc.

I think the idea of teaching literature is very helpful in teaching a foreign language, which is a good thing for evangelization!, and both can be useful for encouraging good within even a secular society.

Study what you love, since it leads to a career path, and do it in accord with God’s will 🙂 We are not all called to be nuns, monks, or priests, and even they have all been involved in well-rounded education!
 
Last edited:
God gives us our brains so we can support ourselves, our families, the Church and charities, and also to improve the world, and there are saints from every profession imaginable, including many who devoted themselves to teaching young people or even teaching adults. Even the priesthood and religious orders in the West generally prefer their members to be reasonably well educated. If you have a good mind, then to toss aside the chance for an education would make you like the servant in Scripture who buries the talent his Master gave him.

I am not sure why you thikn that languages, literature etc are somehow “Worldly” things. Unless you’re planning to study a lot of very obscene books, knowing languages, literature and pedagogy can be very useful to a person. The Church needs to communicate in many languages and translate documents and speeches, literature gives you a better understanding of cultures and history, and like I said many religious orders and saints have focused on teaching. Who knows, you might even end up as a catechist.

Getting an education and pursuing a profession is only bad if you put worldly success and making money ahead of what you owe God. Like, if you decided to skip Mass on a Sunday in order to work more hours, or if you were uncharitable to others because you wanted to get ahead of them.

I myself didn’t have any struggle with education vs. God becaues the main reason I was trying to get an education was to be able to pay my bills and if necessary take care of my parents because they had no one else and my dad was already quite ill by the time I was in high school. My parents were good Catholics and neither they nor any of my Catholic school teachers told me I should set education aside in order to focus more on God. Many of the teachers who were sisters had been through college themselves or were even still attending, why would they tell me not to go?
 
Jeez, you’re not dead yet…how is studying a language worldly?? Go live - work and prayer, work and prayer.
 
I hope no one gets the impression that I think studying language, literature and wanting to be a teacher is sinful/wrong, I just ask for advice balancing my time and energy for studying and for work without forsaking God and spiritual life. 😀
 
Just be sure you go to Mass regularly, pray every day, ask God’s help in your studies, and don’t fall into the types of sins people commit at college like drinking, partying, hooking up, skipping Mass etc and you will be fine.
 
This is simple. If God has given you a special talent, or a calling toward a certain career field or field of study, then that’s what God wants you to do while you’re here. Using your talent (for good), and fulfilling your purpose here on earth honors God. By doing so, it’s another form of devotion to Him.

We’ve all been given special gifts, and are called to certain careers or lines of work, and we each contribute to making this a better world when we faithfully follow the paths God wants us to. We also enrich our own lives by doing so, and there’s nothing wrong with that.

No conflict, here, at all, as long as we truthfully discern these things and don’t allow the devil to sidetrack us into evil endeavors and unsavory motives.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top