The Generous Orthodoxy blog (17 Nov. 2006 entry) gives more details of Pearson’s theology. A blog-contributor also did an interview with another evangelical universalist (see “
Leaving Munster”, below).
As promised* weeks* ago, I’m finally getting round to posting my interview with Gregory Macdonald, the author of
The Evangelical Universalist. I’ll post it in a couple of parts as there’s so much content, but it’s all good. In short, the aim of
The Evangelical Universalist is clear - to demonstrate that there is no inconsistency between being an Evangelical and a Universalist. I think Gregory achieves that aim commendably. I’ll post a few reflections, including an assessment of the book, following the interview. However, I should mention up-front that one of my criticisms is that the book assumes too much from the reader, in terms of an understanding of the topic. Ironically, the same could be said of this interview, that reads more like a conversation between people who’ve read the book, than an interview on behalf of those who haven’t.
Either way, enjoy!
**Gregory, firstly, thank you for agreeing to this interview. **
Let me start by asking you, When, why and how did you become a Universalist? (Was there one particular Biblical passage, logical argument or author that finally clinched it for you?)
I became a universalist about five years ago. It was not an instant conversion but a slow process drawn out over two years. It was not until about five years ago that I felt able to say that I believed in universal salvation.
The real roots of my journey began, I think, reading William Lane Craig’s attempt to defend hell (Craig is a first rate philosopher who I like very much). I really wanted to find his arguments convincing and I was terribly worried by the fact that they did not seem to me to carry much weight. So ironically here was I, a believer in the traditional view of hell, reading an agument defending what I already believed and coming away concerned by how weak the case seemed to be. So I read more defences of hell (at this point I had not thought to question my interpretation of Scripture so all the things I read were philosophical books and articles.) It might sound weird but I really wanted to be convinced that the traditional view of hell worked - it was an important element in my faith - but the more I read the less convinced I became.
Eventually I got to the point that I believed that God could have saved everyone without violating their freewill if that was what he wanted. I also believed that God would not do this and many would be damned forever. This conjunction of beliefs (God could save all but won’t) brought me major spiritual problems and I found it hard to believe that God really loved the world (only the elect). I found worship difficult.
It was Keith DeRose’s online article on universalism and the Bible which first raised the thought that perhaps God not only could save all but also that he would save all but I was not very convinced by his arguments…
So I spent the next two years reading and thinking and gradually my confidence grew that it was possible to conceive of a biblical version of universalism. I still believe that people go to hell but I believe that all will be redeemed from hell.