Catholic and Democrat?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Nonie
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Iam not democrat. Iam a Conservative Catholic. In Canada, we have
4 parties in the House of Commons, the Liberals, the Conservatives,
the NDP ( New Democratic Party ) and the Bloq Quebecois. The Liberals are the governing party here.They do not have my support.
Nor will they ever have it. As for as we go, I think the Conservatives
are the better choice for Canada. I wasn’t even going to cast my
vote at all because of the way things are run in Ottawa. I figured
well, the Liberals will win again, because most of the population
of Canada is in the east, and Ontario is mainly a Liberal stronghold.
So why bother voting? Then someone pointed out to me, it is our
duty to vote, and I will vote, The Conservative party will get my vote.
They are not morally bankrupt like the NDP and the Liberals are.
In the west, we cannot vote for the BQ, and if we could, I wouldn’t
cast my vote for them.
 
40.png
Nonie:
Wondering Waif:
You haven’t really said why you switched. Personally, I don’t think that anyone who follows any party blindly is showing patriotism.

I think that the reason that folks are not as well informed is that
they’re so tired when they come home that getting them to listen to the issues is an uphill battle.
QUOTE]

Hi,
Well I switched from Democrat to Republican because I felt that abortion was the most important issue. The most tragic issue if you will.

And yes, I believe people just stop listening to all the politicians and their little sound bytes. It is tough to wade through all the talk talk talk and more talk and find the facts. But it is worth a try when it comes to an important issue like abortion. That is how I feel anyway.

Thanks for your thoughts,
Nonie
I am Republican but against the Iraq war. The only reason I am Republican is that it is pro-life in terms of being against abortion , but war is not pro-life, so it is a bit confusing. But what choice do I have?
It is a question of the lesser evil at this time.

God bless you,
Teresa.

God bless you>
 
.

It just seems more difficult to change political party , than say one’s religious preference.

Very true - democrats seem to be living off the compassion they had towards weak and the oppressed in the past but now sadly forget that they have become partners in evil - in most cases , ignorance from being lukewarm ( another word for the same old serpent of self love - just not wanting to care , if it does not 'seem ’ to affect the pocket book )
Yet it is so easy these days to really know what is going on , how destructive the choices we make can be .
Abortion probably cause the country, in finanacial terms alone huge sums - and not for the procedures but for all the way it impacts health of All those involved , down through years…
Dr. Therea Burk’s book,- The Forbidden Grief, mentions many of these sequelae - depression,( a pandora’s box of many other related illnessses ) eating disorders , heart attacks, possibly spine disorders , in many of those who have ever gone that path…It would not be surprising , if one day we realise even the seeming modern day epidemics of autism, ADD , divorces , addictions ,all might have some connection to this massive psychic wound …after all, in every abortion, there is the death cry of an infinite soul - that affect both parents ( since they are ONE ) and of the other children …families …
Could the epidemic of homosexuality too be somehow tied up with this - envy of the serpent through men…
Science has shown how out thoughts/ prayers can affect the whole universe - either to be in rhyme with The Music , that The Father had set off lovingly at the beginning or… one of discord …
There is even speculation that what caused the Flood is the violence that raged in human hearts that broke the crust of the earth, letting jets of underground water spout off, setting off the rain clouds …Hope the Democrats would listen to prophetic voices such as of former Pres. Carter
 
I came from a long line of Catholic democrats. However myself and my siblings all are republican. My Dad doesn’t understand how this all happened.

I can’t vote pro-choice/abortion. I research all candidates I plan to vote for, Republican/Democrat, and vote my morals. If neither candidate suits me, I just don’t vote. I can’t in good conscience vote for a pro-choice candidate. I know that makes some people crazy - the so-called one issue voter - but to me it is very important.

Off topic - the person who has the rainbow in their signature that says take back the rainbow - are their bumper stickers that I can find somewhere?
 
40.png
marymol:
.
Science has shown how our thoughts/ prayers can affect the whole universe - either to be in rhyme with The Music , that The Father had set off lovingly at the beginning or… one of discord …
What a beautifully poetic way of putting it, marymol. Reminiscent of the world view in Tolkien’s Silmarillion as well. 🙂

Your entire post makes some thoughtfully good points.

What I’m starting to wonder is, how many of these same Catholic Democrats who are so resistant to change and so in favor of clinging to tradition when it comes to switching parties or voting pro-life, are also the same Catholic Democrats who are all in favor of change and all against hanging on to tradition in the rush to take liberties with the rightful reforms of Vatican II, so that these rightful reforms have been transformed beyond the goodness of their original intent instead into a whirlwind of change for the sake of change?

Certainly Catholic Liberal Democrats can change … when they want to.

~~ the phoenix
 
40.png
lukefan:
I can’t vote pro-choice/abortion. I research all candidates I plan to vote for, Republican/Democrat, and vote my morals. If neither candidate suits me, I just don’t vote.
I would like to make a suggestion here. It is NEVER a good idea NOT TO VOTE! If you don’t vote, you cannot change the country. I used to believe in voting for the “lessor of two evils” but I will never vote the “lessor of two evils” again.

As I stated above, the last two presidential elections I did vote for the lessor of two evils - President Bush. The only reason I did this was I knew there would be a rare large number of Supreme Court vacancies (probably 4) coming up. President Bush promised Pro-Life Appointments. I knew if we do not change the Supreme Court back to a Culture of Life right now, then we probably would not have another chance to change the Pro-Abortion Supreme Court for another 50-60 years since justices are elected for a lifetime.

The problem with not voting is political forces have no way of knowing why you did not vote. If you do not like any of the candidates because they are Pro-Abortion; then WRITE IN THE NAME OF A PROMINENT PRO-LIFER FROM YOUR STATE! This way the political forces know they will need to become Pro-Life in order to get your vote. In my state (IL) I could write in the name of prominent pro-lifers like Joe Schiedler from the Pro Life Action League or Jill Stanek known as one of the top Pro-Lifers in the U.S.

In summary, always vote even if you have to write in the name of a candidate who is not running just so you get your point across!
 
the phoenix:
What a beautifully poetic way of putting it, marymol. Reminiscent of the world view in Tolkien’s Silmarillion as well. 🙂

Your entire post makes some thoughtfully good points.

What I’m starting to wonder is, how many of these same Catholic Democrats who are so resistant to change and so in favor of clinging to tradition when it comes to switching parties or voting pro-life, are also the same Catholic Democrats who are all in favor of change and all against hanging on to tradition in the rush to take liberties with the rightful reforms of Vatican II, so that these rightful reforms have been transformed beyond the goodness of their original intent instead into a whirlwind of change for the sake of change?

Certainly Catholic Liberal Democrats can change … when they want to.

~~ the phoenix
Certainly they can change when they want to–but what are they going to do about their multiple marriages and other impropriatives that have been well documented in the press. I know any one can ask God’s forgiveness, and it will be granted, but there are a great many of them that fit this category. We should pray for them
 
PLAL - never thought of the write in vote! I will use that in the future when neither candidate stands for what is important to me.
 
40.png
lukefan:
I came from a long line of Catholic democrats. However myself and my siblings all are republican. My Dad doesn’t understand how this all happened.

I can’t vote pro-choice/abortion. I research all candidates I plan to vote for, Republican/Democrat, and vote my morals. If neither candidate suits me, I just don’t vote. I can’t in good conscience vote for a pro-choice candidate. I know that makes some people crazy - the so-called one issue voter - but to me it is very important.

Off topic - the person who has the rainbow in their signature that says take back the rainbow - are their bumper stickers that I can find somewhere?
I hope you change your mind about not voting. A single president cannot change the law, it has to be done by the Congress. That is the body that makes laws. The very liberal members of Congress, knowing that they could never get their pro-choice ideas passed, looked to the SC to make the changes they desired. And they continue to do so on many other issues, i.e. eminent domain, school prayer, etc.

By not voting you help elect the one who’s party may be totally opposed to your views. And until we have a parliamentary system of government (which would send the USA down the tubes) there will be only a limited number of persons running for president.
 
mary bobo:
Certainly they can change when they want to–but what are they going to do about their multiple marriages and other impropriatives that have been well documented in the press. I know any one can ask God’s forgiveness, and it will be granted, but there are a great many of them that fit this category. We should pray for them
See… this is a HUGE assumption you are making about Catholic Democrats. And, it is what completely turns me and other off to your arguments. We don’t vote the way YOU think we should so we must enjoy sinning. For your information, I was a virgin (and not a technical one) when I got married at age 32. I am a lector and have been the lector’s coordinator in my parish. I spent almost my entire life in Catholic schools–including undergrad. And, my mother is a RCIA cathecist.

I vote Democrat becuase MOST Republicans care a whole lot about people before they are born and don’t give a rats arse about them after they are here living and breathing!

:mad:
 
40.png
smartblkchick:
I vote Democrat becuase MOST Republicans care a whole lot about people before they are born and don’t give a rats arse about them after they are here living and breathing!

:mad:
See … this is a HUGE assumption you are making about Catholic Republicans.

~~ the phoenix
 
Ultimately a vote not Dem or Rep is a waste, because your candidate will not win. If you have Democratic sympathies, feel free to vote for the Democrats after the pro-life movement has won. If every Catholic were to vote pro-life for 1-2 elections, the Dems would be forced to adopt it. At that point you can vote for a Democrat.

What about the war? Doesn’t that nullify the Republican claim to pro-life? Hardly. First of all, whether or not you agree with the war (I’m not particularly concerned about it myself), realize that everyone who is fighting is there of their own accord. Also unlike abortion, war is not immoral of its own accord. The Church supports the concept of a just-war. Notice that Hussein is being put under trial for crimes against humanity! Democrats are the ones who are so obsessed with the quality of life (to the point of KILLING people who have a lower quality of life) and yet they don’t give an expletive about the quality of life for people over seas. Maybe it’s because they don’t vote.

Catholics must vote Republican if the Dem is pro choice. If the Dem is prolife feel free to vote for him, but don’t overlook other issues like stem cell research. No doubt many Dems would like to point out capital punishment here, but it is not universally wrong. I for one am totally against it, but first I will take care of those things that are universally unacceptable. Should every other issue be taken care of first, I may even vote Democrat to get rid of capital punishment, but this pales in comparison with other life issues (in quality of offense, but especially in quantity).

I am a big proponent of capitalism. Capitalism creates money that is spread among its member. All socialism does is take money from the people who earned it and give it to the needy. Inherently bad? Not unless they are poor because they are lazy (more frequent than let on by media). But with capitalism there is more money to go around. Think what you will, but don’t assume that the Republican economy is worse or doesn’t do justice to the poor.

Ultimately I don’t care about economy or education when compared with justice. I adhere to most of the Republican platform, but I am not defined by it (esp. death penalty). I strongly advise everyone to vote Republican until a culture of life is established. If people would back-shelf the less important issues, this would be done in 4 years. Then you can single out the next important issue and push that until it happens. A write in vote doesn’t do any good because you don’t effect the outcome.
 
40.png
smartblkchick:
.

I vote Democrat becuase MOST Republicans care a whole lot about people before they are born and don’t give a rats arse about them after they are here living and breathing!

:mad:
Thats the usual Democrat talking point but they never bother to back up that ridicolous assertion with any proof. The issue is how to best help the poor. Obviously the Democrat soluton of throwing money at it and ignoring the moral and cultural causes of poverty failed miserably.

But even if your premise if true how can one enjoy the benefits given them by the paternalistic Democrat Party when they are dead? Don’t all rights flow from the right to life.?
 
Aaron I.:
Ultimately a vote not Dem or Rep is a waste, because your candidate will not win.
I’ve often seen this argument made in the US, and it simply isn’t true.

The ONLY reason you have a two party system in the US is because you, the voters, keep buying the argument that it is a two party system and keep voting that way. If a lot of you decide to vote for a third party, all of a sudden you will have a three party system. It is the fact that the voters on the whole keep buying the two party propaganda put out by - the two parties with power :eek: - that keeps it a two party system.

I live in a country that effectively has a one party system (our rough equivelant to the Democrats - (though our conservatives tend to look like your liberals) - with a “Catholic” Prime Minister who has legalized gay marriage. :mad:

There are no parties that embody all of any of our values. Each of us must decide which issues and values are of greater importance to us and vote for candidates who are most in line with our highest priorities. Ususally that does seem to mean the lesser evil, unfortunately.
 
40.png
smartblkchick:
I vote Democrat becuase MOST Republicans care a whole lot about people before they are born and don’t give a rats arse about them after they are here living and breathing!

:mad:
Aren’t you concerned then that so many black babies are aborted each day in this country? It is considered by some the most racist thing that is happening in this country.
cnsnews.com/ViewSpecialReports.asp?Page=%5CSpecialReports%5Carchive%5C200502%5CSPE20050207a.html
The Dems support the rights of these mom’s to abort their babies and even the Catholic ones. They usually don’t stand up for life. It used to be different. Catholics support moms that want to keep their babies- even Republican Catholics. CINO Democrats have a lot to answer for. They continually say they could never abort a baby personally but that women have the right to choose (the right to kill their own baby) and a majority of the babies killed are black. This is so very sad, sick, and I believe- yes, racist.
 
40.png
smartblkchick:
See… this is a HUGE assumption you are making about Catholic Democrats. And, it is what completely turns me and other off to your arguments. We don’t vote the way YOU think we should so we must enjoy sinning. For your information, I was a virgin (and not a technical one) when I got married at age 32. I am a lector and have been the lector’s coordinator in my parish. I spent almost my entire life in Catholic schools–including undergrad. And, my mother is a RCIA cathecist.

I vote Democrat becuase MOST Republicans care a whole lot about people before they are born and don’t give a rats arse about them after they are here living and breathing!

:mad:
I am sorry if I phrased what I meant in such a way as to offend you. That was not my intention. I was referring to the cafeteria Catholics in the Congress. I believe that they are not upholding the faith–either you are a Catholic or you aren’t.

I am sorry you feel that most Republicans do not care about people after they are born. Both parties care about people, that is how they get elected. I believe that the Dems believe in welfare to make this happen and Republicans believe in self reliance. That does not mean they do not help, but better to help someone help themselves than do it all for them. And if you check the budget, I believe you will find that all welfare programs have had more funding in than ever during the last four years.

Again, I believe you read something in my post that I did not mean, and I apologize if you are offended.
 
40.png
smartblkchick:
I vote Democrat becuase MOST Republicans care a whole lot about people before they are born and don’t give a rats arse about them after they are here living and breathing!:mad:
Anyone who is active in the ProLife movement knows your above comment is not true. Most of the people I know involved in ProLife are also involved giving time to other charities which help out people at other stages of life.

Your quote above was initiated by Planned Parenthood, NOW and NARAL – you know the Pro-Abortion crowd.

You also need to remember abortion affects women both physically and psychologically - just look up the millions of women who joined SILENT NO MORE. Are not “women” considered “persons here living and breathing”? Also, the unborn are babies who are here on earth. They just happen to be living in the mothers womb for a short period of time.

I think if you were more involved in ProLife activities, you would definitely find out we help those at all stages of human development including the human embryo, fetus, baby, child, adult and the elderly!
 
40.png
Fitz:
Aren’t you concerned then that so many black babies are aborted each day in this country? It is considered by some the most racist thing that is happening in this country.
cnsnews.com/ViewSpecialReports.asp?Page=%5CSpecialReports%5Carchive%5C200502%5CSPE20050207a.html
The Dems support the rights of these mom’s to abort their babies and even the Catholic ones. They usually don’t stand up for life. It used to be different. Catholics support moms that want to keep their babies- even Republican Catholics. CINO Democrats have a lot to answer for. They continually say they could never abort a baby personally but that women have the right to choose (the right to kill their own baby) and a majority of the babies killed are black. This is so very sad, sick, and I believe- yes, racist.
ABORTION HAS KILLED 36% OF THE U.S. BLACK POPULATION!

According to the U.S. Census bureau, there were 36 million blacks in the United States in 2002. If 13 million black children had not been killed by abortion, the black community would now number 49 million – it would be 36 percent larger. Abortion has killed over one-third of the black community in the last 32 years.

For More Information & Stats Read this Article

wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=46674
 
PLAL said:
ABORTION HAS KILLED 36% OF THE U.S. BLACK POPULATION!

Not to be insensitive, but it is pretty ironic. The Dems could actually be running the country now (horror of horrors) if they hadn’t killed off those people who would in large part be voting for them down the road.
 
Aaron I.:
Not to be insensitive, but it is pretty ironic. The Dems could actually be running the country now (horror of horrors) if they hadn’t killed off those people who would in large part be voting for them down the road.
Why, because you assume the black babies would be Democratic? I don’t think that trend is going to stay stable. There are many new black politicians that are waking up and leaving the party that ignores them except to make sure they have the right to choose death for their babies or to keep the poor on welfare.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top