I’m sorry Anna, I thought I was tracking what you said. Perhaps I could ask you to restate your point.
My point is that there has been an evolution in Catholic Bible translation – so that now Catholics (like Protestants) primarily use original language texts. Catholics also allow ecumenical translations. (As you are a non-Catholic who interacts on CAF, perhaps you are not opposed to ecumenical efforts.) The NRSV and the NAB, perhaps the two most important contemporary translations for English speaking Catholics, are both ecumenical.
I think our discussion turned into an argument (I accept my part in that) when it should not have. I am more than open to ecumenical translations. I collect translations of the Bible and find the history of the transmission of Scripture fascinating.
I agree that there has been an evolution in Catholic Bible translations, as is the case with Anglicans, Orthodox, and some Protestants–though there is still the King James-only crowd and other such factions.
I have
The New Oxford Annotated Bible-NRSV, an Ecumenical Study Bible. So, I am aware of the ecumenical nature of the NRSV and RSV.
I want to purchase a NRSV Catholic Edition Study Bible. I like comparing passages and reading the commentaries. That pushes me into more study of the transmission of Scripture, and also into further study of Christian history.
Clearly some conservative Protestants still feel uncomfortable about Catholic involvement in Bible translations. . . .
Absolutely, some conservative Protestants are very uncomfortable with Catholic involvement with Bible translations. In fact, a long time conservative Protestant friend came to visit me a few years back; and was shocked and appalled by the fact that I had a Catholic Comparative New Testament in my home. At that time, I had not yet left the Baptist Church; but I was beginning to study and to question things-not cool in the Baptist church, btw.
My whole point in quoting the Intro to the CE of the RSV is to show that we do not need to be so suspicious of one another, with the advancements in Biblical translations. The RSV and NRSV is acceptable to both Catholics and Protestants (not all.)
Though I am surprised the Catholic Church did not produce an independent translation, considering the vast library of the Vatican (which must be incredible), the availability of many reliable manuscripts, and considering the role the Latin Vulgate has played in the Catholic Church. I’ve met Catholics here who claim the Latin Vulgate is the greatest translation of the Bible ever produced and are very loyal to the Douay-Rheims–yet are unaware that the CCC uses the NRSV and RSV in Scripture references.
I suppose in light of textual criticism and the discovery of so many manuscripts, not available at the time the Vulgate was produced (or the KJV for that matter); it does make sense to adopt a translation such as the RSV or NRSV, instead of starting from square one.
Obviously, the Catholic Church trusts these translations; but did make some changes—which would mean the RSV/NRSV are not
purely ecumenical—otherwise, no changes would be needed.

The changes are interesting. Most involve what is placed in the main body of text and what is placed in the footnotes, which
perhaps reveals an interesting theological bias on both sides. “What goes where” is certainly worth reviewing. Also, some of the wording is different. Luke 1:28 is an interesting passage and an example of both different wording and placement in body of text vs. footnotes.
**Luke 1:28 **
RSV: And he came to her and said, “Hail, O favored one, the Lord is with you!”
RSV-CE: And he came to her and said, "Hail, full of grace,(a) the Lord is with you.(b)
Footnotes:
(a) Or
O favored one
(b) Other ancient authorities add
“Blessed are you among women!”
NRSV: And he came to her and said, “Greetings, favored one, the Lord is with you!”(a)
Footnotes:
(a) Other ancient authorities add
“Blessed are you among women!”
NRSV-CE And he came to her and said, ‘Greetings, favoured one! The Lord is with you.’ (a)
Footnotes:
(a) Other ancient authorities add
“Blessed are you among women!”
What happened to
“full of grace”? It’s missing from both the NRSV and NRSV-CE.
As I said, very interesting subject.
Peace,
Anna