Catholic/Atheist Wedding with Hindu Celebration?

• Thread starter Thread starter ArimayPi
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
48.png
JMMJ:
Some disrespectful responses, here.

The woman asked a very specific question. Opinions on the nature of her relationship weren’t a part of that.
With age can come the wisdom that “the issue is often not the issue”. Many of us think that may apply here. There is nothing disrespectful in widening the discussion to include matters the OP may not have considered.
In IT support circles, we have a term called the XY problem, where a user comes to us asking “How do I do this thing?” and we spend a lot of time helping the user to do what the user wants, when in reality the user’s desire to do this thing is falsely rooted in a belief or situation that has misled all of us. It is important in IT support as well as relationships, to get at the root issues and solve them, before any symptoms can be addressed.

Well one post put atheists in the same basket as addicts, abusers, and manchildren. Another compared OP’s situation to a bar room joke. And yet others delivered their “wisdom”, I guess.

Disrespectful.

These discussions are always infuriating, especially as someone married to a non-Catholic. Half the posters will start from the assumption that a Catholic must only marry another Catholic, ignoring the fact that the Church has a process specifically to facilitate such marriages. If they were inherently bad, presumably the Church would not allow them.

Again, if your personal rule is that you’d only consider marrying a Catholic, cool. Good for you. But that’s not the requirement, and it’s pretty arrogant to try to convince the OP she has to call off her wedding when what she’s proposing to do is perfectly licit.

In IT support circles, we have a term called the XY problem, where a user comes to us asking “How do I do this thing?” and we spend a lot of time helping the user to do what the user wants, when in reality the user’s desire to do this thing is falsely rooted in a belief or situation that has misled all of us. It is important in IT support as well as relationships, to get at the root issues and solve them, before any symptoms can be addressed.
I think this is really unfair. There’s nothing in the OP’s posts that suggest she’s acting on a ‘falsely-rooted belief that needs to be solved’. All she wants to know is if she and her fiance can have a Hindu celebration.

@ArimayPi, I suspect the best way to get an answer is to speak to your Priest. I hope you can find a solution that suits everyone!

Thanks for the (name removed by moderator)ut, everyone. I’ll update you with what my priest eventually advises.

Well one post put atheists in the same basket as addicts, abusers, and manchildren. Another compared OP’s situation to a bar room joke.
I cannot see any such posts. However, some of those I can see are pretty disrespectful anyway. I don’t have an answer to the OP’s question, but I’m sorry that some people seem to think that this was an invitation to advise her against the marriage rather than being just a question about how to go about organising the ceremony.

Oh wow, I didn’t see these. Sorry. It’s even worse than I thought. You know, I wish people would think about the consequences of their actions when they post on here. I used to think that CAF was a good way of my finding out about Catholicism, but I now realise that about half of the posts on here are just people advancing their own niche agendas and being very rude. However, it took me a while to realise that this was not typical of Catholics, just typical of about half of the people who post on here.

I plan to have the actual wedding in the Catholic Church, but I’m wondering about the possibility of having a 2nd “celebration” in India that honors Indian/Hindu traditions.
Summary
This text will be hidden
You could be dispensed from the need to have the wedding in a Catholic Church. Then, you would be permitted any ceremony recognized by civil law where where you marry, including a religious Hindi wedding in India.

It is technically not permitted to have two ceremonies, although I know it’s done aways. If you’re committed to following the churches rules, which is a good thing, then having a single proper Hindi ceremony would probably accomplish your goals best. A stripped down Hindi ceremony may upset his family more than no ceremony.

Perhaps you can Google a Catholic Parish that caters to an Indian population, and speak with the pastor/chaplain?

I don’t know where you live, but if you visit this website, you can find 4 pastors/chaplains who minister to the Indian Catholic population in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia.

Perhaps you can call one of these 4 priests or one in your diocese?

God Bless

Last edited:
These discussions are always infuriating, especially as someone married to a non-Catholic. Half the posters will start from the assumption that a Catholic must only marry another Catholic, ignoring the fact that the Church has a process specifically to facilitate such marriages. If they were inherently bad, presumably the Church would not allow them.
^^^Yep, they are usually in the first 1-5 replies too.

As a non-Catholic married to a Catholic, I always joke that I’m glad my wife didn’t (couldn’t) come here for marriage advice. We might have missed out on 17 years of marriage (and counting) and 3 kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back