Catholic Behavior

  • Thread starter Thread starter HuMaNpUmPkIn
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HuMaNpUmPkIn

Guest
Firstly I know many Catholics are not like this, so I am not attacking Catholicism or all Catholics. Now we have that out of the way

Why do so many Catholics react with intolerance towards everything they do not believe in? I understand they do not believe in it, but what right does it give them to attack it? As well as attacking the person in question? Does it not contradict loving thy neighbor and turning the other cheek? I understand the Catholics I am describing disapprove, and some may want to save the person’s soul, but proverbial vinegar will not bring them into what you see as the light. A sin is a sin and a sinner is a sinner, and it is god’s right alone to pass judgement on them.

The awful thing is alot of these people have great amounts of intelligence, but their intolerance prevents them from seeing the big picture and then putting their intelligence to a good use.

I ended up rambling, but simply put: Could anyone shed some light on why these few bad apples behave the way they do?

P.S If this is in the wrong forum please forgive me, spirituality is all I could think of right now as it does somewhat encompass that
 
You’d have to give an example of what you mean. Too often nowadays I see the phrase “intolerance” being used in place of “won’t encourage me to do what I want to do” or “won’t change their beliefs to match mine”.
 
You’d have to give an example of what you mean. Too often nowadays I see the phrase “intolerance” being used in place of “won’t encourage me to do what I want to do” or “won’t change their beliefs to match mine”.
Rudeness isn’t necessary, I neither attacked your faith, the entirety,the majority, nor the minority. I asked a simple question. I understand you may feel I am attacking an aspect of your faith, but if you’d read the first line of the first post then you would see otherwise.

Anyway, to give you an example, accosting anybody who has anything to do with an abortion clinic. Despite the fact that it’s wrong, forbidden and immoral in the catholic faith, some people may not care, or may not understand.
 
Rudeness isn’t necessary, I neither attacked your faith, the entirety,the majority, nor the minority. I asked a simple question. I understand you may feel I am attacking an aspect of your faith, but if you’d read the first line of the first post then you would see otherwise.
And I didn’t attack you either. I honestly was asking you. Calm down there buddy.

Taking the abortion clinic example, I’ve never heard of a Catholic physically accosting somebody outside of a mill, but seeing someone going into an abortion mill is rather the same as seeing someone approach someone with a knife, or a gun, and shouting “I’m going to murder you”. I can understand where that person is coming from.

But that would be just the case of the individual. They might as easily be baptist, mormon, or nazarene. To say it’s because they’re Catholic is to connect to unconnected things.
 
And I didn’t attack you either. I honestly was asking you. Calm down there buddy.

Taking the abortion clinic example, I’ve never heard of a Catholic physically accosting somebody outside of a mill, but seeing someone going into an abortion mill is rather the same as seeing someone approach someone with a knife, or a gun, and shouting “I’m going to murder you”. I can understand where that person is coming from.

But that would be just the case of the individual. They might as easily be baptist, mormon, or nazarene. To say it’s because they’re Catholic is to connect to unconnected things.
I’m sorry, your tone just sounded rude, please forgive me.

I understand that, but it is a matter of doctrine, beliefs, and circumstance. In some cases an abortion may be performed due to the possibility that it may endanger the pregnant woman’s life otherwise. There always these thin areas of grey in any argument.

I also understand it is not only catholics, people of all religons and no religion at all do it.
 
I’m sorry, your tone just sounded rude, please forgive me.

I understand that, but it is a matter of doctrine, beliefs, and circumstance. In some cases an abortion may be performed due to the possibility that it may endanger the pregnant woman’s life otherwise. There always these thin areas of grey in any argument.

I also understand it is not only catholics, people of all religons and no religion at all do it.
Then why raise the question on a Catholic board? Go to an abortion protest and ask the people there why they’re getting in people’s faces.

So for a possible threat to one person’s life you’re happy to extinguish another’s? You, my friend, are already a possible threat to my life - so is everyone else I talk to, on the net or in real life. I demand that you all be killed so that threat be removed.

See, I don’t like the idea that I or any person might have our lives snuffed out unless we’re a heck of a lot more than a ‘possible’ threat to anyone else.
 
Not just Catholics, any religious person is capable of believing they have a monopoly on truth and thus, the tone they take with other people, is one of superiority and hostility towards other ideas.
 
Not just Catholics, any religious person is capable of believing they have a monopoly on truth and thus, the tone they take with other people, is one of superiority and hostility towards other ideas.
Especially atheists!
 
Then why raise the question on a Catholic board? Go to an abortion protest and ask the people there why they’re getting in people’s faces.

So for a possible threat to one person’s life you’re happy to extinguish another’s? You, my friend, are already a possible threat to my life - so is everyone else I talk to, on the net or in real life. I demand that you all be killed so that threat be removed.

See, I don’t like the idea that I or any person might have our lives snuffed out unless we’re a heck of a lot more than a ‘possible’ threat to anyone else.
  1. The area I have relocated to has no abortion clinics so I cannot
  2. I never explicitly stated they were my beliefs, there is no need to be rude
  3. I also feel the same way as you, but the reason I raised that point in the first place is because while I do not agree with their actions I respect their opinions no matter what they are.
And to Iamnotafraid and thistle

I am asking about catholics because this is a Catholic board, and like not all catholics do this sort of thing, not all atheists do it.
 
The awful thing is alot of these people have great amounts of intelligence, but their intolerance prevents them from seeing the big picture and then putting their intelligence to a good use.
What is virtuous about tolerance?
What does intelligence have to do with tolerance? I knew a very smart carpenter that would not tolerate studs being more than 16” apart from each other. I thought 18” about be nice but he would not tolerate it.
 
What is virtuous about tolerance?
What does intelligence have to do with tolerance? I knew a very smart carpenter that would not tolerate studs being more than 16” apart from each other. I thought 18” about be nice but he would not tolerate it.
Taken out of context, but no matter. I’m talking about intolerance of others and their beliefs and opinions.

Let me take this moment to say once more I am talking about a handful compared to all Catholics.
 
Taken out of context, but no matter. I’m talking about intolerance of others and their beliefs and opinions.

Let me take this moment to say once more I am talking about a handful compared to all Catholics.
What is virtuous about tolerance?
Should we tolerate a serial killer because they believe it is OK?
 
What is virtuous about tolerance?
Should we tolerate a serial killer because they believe it is OK?
No, of course not, but tolerating others beliefs is imperative if we are all to live side by side. The difference between serial murder and abortion is some (I am not one of them, please do not jump on me for something I do not believe) believe that life begins at birth, or somewhere in the middle of the pregnancy. It cannot be disproved either way
 
  1. The area I have relocated to has no abortion clinics so I cannot
  2. I never explicitly stated they were my beliefs, there is no need to be rude
  3. I also feel the same way as you, but the reason I raised that point in the first place is because while I do not agree with their actions I respect their opinions no matter what they are.
And to Iamnotafraid and thistle

I am asking about catholics because this is a Catholic board, and like not all catholics do this sort of thing, not all atheists do it.
You cannot respect opinions which are immoral and evil.
 
No, of course not, but tolerating others beliefs is imperative if we are all to live side by side. The difference between serial murder and abortion is some (I am not one of them, please do not jump on me for something I do not believe) believe that life begins at birth, or somewhere in the middle of the pregnancy. It cannot be disproved either way
I’m not talking about abortion; I’m talking about intolerance. So it is OK to be intolerant of people that tolerate murder?
 
You cannot respect opinions which are immoral and evil.
I respect my fellow man.It is of your opinion that it is evil, and mine too. But of course we have as much to back up our collective opinions as pro-lifers as they do as pro-choicers, in which case you cannot claim to know it is evil. Until we know for sure which is true we cannot claim to be right without a shadow of a doubt. But I also understand where you’re coming from, and I have found the answer to part of my question thanks to everybody in this thread.

Also, to Stephen168: Somewhat, but this is not about my beliefs. It is about yours, and you believe those who tolerate sin should not be tolerated?
 
I respect my fellow man.It is of your opinion that it is evil, and mine too. But of course we have as much to back up our collective opinions as pro-lifers as they do as pro-choicers, in which case you cannot claim to know it is evil. Until we know for sure which is true we cannot claim to be right without a shadow of a doubt. But I also understand where you’re coming from, and I have found the answer to part of my question thanks to everybody in this thread.
You seem to be very tolerant. Not an ounce of conviction, but very tolerant.
 
No, of course not, but tolerating others beliefs is imperative if we are all to live side by side. The difference between serial murder and abortion is some (I am not one of them, please do not jump on me for something I do not believe) believe that life begins at birth, or somewhere in the middle of the pregnancy. It cannot be disproved either way
Why?

If my friend at school says “No Andy, 2+2 = 1!!!”, we have a problem. I am not tolerant of this. I know he’s either a) messing around, or b) ignorant.

If it is the first, I go, “Haha, yeah, and I’m the King of England.”

If it is the second, I go “No you fool, it’s 4.”

One should not tolerate error.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top