Catholic bible study at a bar

  • Thread starter Thread starter Warandpeace
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Warandpeace

Guest
I’ve been asked several times to attend a graduate school bible study. I am already involved in other Catholic events and I am hesitant to do this because I do not drink (I am told others do not drink either). Anyone have any thoughts?
 
There’s nothing wrong with alcohol in itself. Monks even brew beer. A Bible study at a bar could be a wonderful witness to others. It also wouldn’t hurt to have a beer or two if you aren’t driving. The Holy Father himself enjoys drinking beer.

Whether you choose to drink or not, I say it is a good opportunity for fellowship and witness!
 
I believe in a number of places the sessions are called “Theology on Tap,” and I have read good reports about these - often located in college towns.
 
The Holy Father has supposedly hosted a number of these with his students and former students when he taught, as stated earlier, there is nothing wrong with these sessions.

I recall a Priest friend with degrees in philosophy and canon law once telling us over a beer…remember, Jesus’ first public miracle was turning the water to wine for the guests to enjoy themselves.

responsible consumption is no issue at all it would seem
 
You know, it is possible to actually set foot inside a bar and not drink alcohol. They have a variety of soft drinks.
 
I believe in a number of places the sessions are called “Theology on Tap,” and I have read good reports about these - often located in college towns.
Our Diocese holds these, and the Bishop is right there with everyone else.
 
Karl Rahner
I thought as much.

The Pope seems to be enjoying himself.

He’s saying, “Hans whaddya think of Karl’s Horizon of Faith?”

Hans is saying, “Well the guy doesn’t even smoke a pipe, whaddya think I think?”😛
 
i believe this was the prelude to the infamous Kung beatdown :blackeye:
 
I think it’s ok, if you drink responisbly. I could’nt go there. But, when I did drink my favorite
was Chimay Trappist Ale!:)😉
 
Theology on Tap programs have been successful in reaching young adults in many dioceses in American. I wouldn’t hesitate to attend on if I were young. The New Evangelization encourages us to try to reach people where they are. This a good example of that, and it is supported by many bishops so have no fear.
Thank you all for posting those great old pictures of the Holy Father. I remember seeing a photo from a German magazine of Bishop Ratzinger holding a liter of beer with the caption: A holy bishop and a true Bavarian! The pictures of Father Ratzinger in a coat and tie must have been taken in his professor days. I remember reading that in Germany at that time clerics teaching at universities were not allow to wear clerical clothes. I don’t know if that is still the case today. Maybe someone can fill us in on the present practice.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top