Catholic book bloggers?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Potter
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Potter

Guest
There’s little I love more than experiencing truth through literature, and I enjoy reading the reflections of people who share their thoughts about what they are reading. Most book blogs I find online ,however, are dominated by fiction, often erotic or fantastical. Whenever I encounter a series or podcast that is devoted to books (like Discerning Hearts’ “Great Works in Westen Literature”), I explore it obsessively. I look for the reviews of books and such done by places like the National Catholic Register, as well as in Crisis and on First Things – but I haven’t found any personal blogs that feature book reviews on a regular basis. Are there any out there that I am missing? (I emphasize personal because as wonderful as reviews from organizations can be, following a person’s reviews is more appealing on the account of the personal nature of it!)

In short I am looking for the blogs or such of readers who consider literature or relevant nonfiction, as part of their study and practice of the truth of the Gospel. I am also happy to follow Goodreads accounts. 🙂
 
Thank you, I am exploring what he has to offer. 🙂
Unfortunately a lot of his reviews have 404’d. I guess he redid his site or something and the links are messed up now.
another link:

catholicbiblesblog.com/ - mostly bibles and bible study related books

I find that forums are the best places for book discusison however.
 
You might want to look up some Quo Vadis reviews, if you haven’t already. It is Christian literature. It doesn’t get any better than that!
 
The Happy Catholic’s Bookshelf is a joint project. Four people are officially credited: Jeff Miller (The Curt Jester), Julie Davis (Happy Catholic), Sarah Reinhard (Snoring Scholar), and Will Duquette (The View From the Foothills). However, other bloggers also contribute to it.

Currently, there are quite a few fiction reviews. (Hey, its summer!) However,the archives are sort of organized into other categories.
 
If you search in our Ccom Group Section you’ll see at least four separate Groups which have encouraged discussion of Catholic Groups, and the Forum Archives includes a discussion forum which was closed last year, although posts were retained. I hope you will take a minute to review these groups to see if they might be of interest–the focus is discussion rather than blogs–but better than nothing (?)
I strongly share your interest in Goodreads and the hope that there is something else out there that is more focused. Would you consider participating in a group here for Christian or Catholic book bloggers? Any others out there also with interest?
To access a Group, the system requires that you go to one of the “popular” groups listed on the Forum Home page, then in a box at the upper right hand screen corner you can search for words in Group Titles (we have hundreds of Groups-search book or books) and if you really work at it you can find lists of new Groups and some other categories of Groups.
 
I started one in 2010, did a few, and then got busy with other stuff. Trying to get active with it again. It’s called “Holy Scrolls.” It’s just me commenting on books I’ve read. You can find it here:

holyscrolls.blogspot.com

I’ve put a couple new posts up lately. Working on another. Give it a look. I may be open to posting reviews by others, but not sure at this point.
 
I have a few reviews on my blog (in my signature). Just click the Book Revie tag on the right.
 
I have a few reviews on my blog (in my signature). Just click the Book Reviews tag on the right.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top