Catholic Church condoning drunkeness?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Lampo
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lampo

Guest
I was having a discussion with a protestant co-worker today. He thinks the CC condones drunkeness because alcohol is sometimes served at Catholic functions. He asked if I thought this to. I told him the CC does not condone such behavior. I told him the CC doesn’t condone the addiction of gambling either, but sometimes has bingo and monte carlo nights at different functions. He then asked this hypothetical: Would I be condoning smoking marijuana if I smoked it at home in front of my children. I said that is very different from serving alcohol at church functions. No matter how much marijuana one smokes, it is illegal. Drinking alcohol is not. I told him I occassionaly drink a beer in front of my son. I’m not condoning getting drunk by doing that. In my co-worker’s mind, if people are getting drunk at a Catholic Oktoberfest for example, then the CC is condoning drunkeness. I asked him if he thought Jesus was condoning drunkeness at Canna because he turned water into wine? He didn’t have much of an answer.

Was my answer satisfactory? Can anything else be added? Thanks.
 
you gave a fine answer. there is a big differance between alcohol and marijauna. marijuana is harmful to your lungs even when used in moderation, alcohol when used in moderation does not hurt a person in fact science shows that it can be good for you. alcohol is not always meant to be used to get drunk, people do it socially but people don’t usually smoke pot socially most of the time they do it to get high.
 
I think your answer was good. Christians are supposed to live lives of moderation. If something is illegal that is different. If it is not illegal than you may participate as long as you use limits. It is dangerous for someone who is an alcoholic to engage in drinking anywhere but to say that the Church condones drunkeness just because alcohol is served is not a well thoughtout argument and sounds like another weak attempt to discredit the Catholic Church.
 
Matthew 11, 18-19
18 For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say,‘He has a demon.’
19 The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say,‘Behold, a gluttonous man and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!’ But wisdom is justified by her children. "
Jesus drank wine, and so did the apostles. Like Jews today, they drank it regularly at meals and social functions – such as the Wedding at Cana.
 
Serving alcohol doesn’t encourage drunkeness any more the serving food encourages gluttony.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top