Catholic Churches in Chicago

• Thread starter Thread starter diosa25
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

diosa25

I have a training scheduled for work in Chicago on Wed and Thurs. this week and need to find a church to go to for Ash Wednesday. Can anyone help me? I have looked online at the Archdiocese of Chicago and am having trouble locating one. I will be staying at a hotel in St. Charles. The zip code of the area is 60174 and the website won’t bring up a church. I don’t know how to find one. Can anyone offer any help or know of a website that I can locate a church through. I just do not know anything about the Chicago area and don’t know how to look for one. Thanks for any suggestions anyone has in advance.🙂

Just remember, if you cannot find a church or your schedule does not permit mass attendance, Wed is not a Holy Day of Obligation.

I also will be traveling for work on Wed, and my schedule is not going to allow for Mass.

Wow, I didn’t realize it was not a holy day of obligation. Shows how much I know. I’ve just always gone. Anyway thanks for letting me know. Although I did find one finally. And it is right around the corner from me! Thanks again!

Too easy!!!

60174 is not in the Archdiocese, but the Diocese of Rockford, St. Charles to be exact, in the Aurora deanery.

St. John Neumann is on 2900 Main St. If you are staying and doing your training at Pheasant Run, that is the closest.

St. Patrick is on 408 Cedar in the downtown area.

PM me your training place, and I will see what I can do if those two don’t work.

St. Mary of the Angels. Run by Opus Dei priests. I’ve been to it. It’s great and NO LITURGICAL NONSENSE.

Thanks! The St. John Nuemann is the one that is literally right down the street from my hotel. I did realize after a bit that the hotel was in St. Charles and not Chicago. So that is when I looked under Catholic churches in St. Charles. But then you can guess what trouble I ran into with that…the fact that the CITY St. Charles is also the name of tons of Churches. So I was getting hits for all the St. Charles churches in IL…lol. But I eventually found it. Thanks for your time and effort in replying to my post to all who submitted!👍 God bless!

Thanks! The St. John Nuemann is the one that is literally right down the street from my hotel. I did realize after a bit that the hotel was in St. Charles and not Chicago. So that is when I looked under Catholic churches in St. Charles. But then you can guess what trouble I ran into with that…the fact that the CITY St. Charles is also the name of tons of Churches. So I was getting hits for all the St. Charles churches in IL…lol. But I eventually found it. Thanks for your time and effort in replying to my post to all who submitted!👍 God bless!
And if you find things are a bit expensive in Pheasant Run for your budget, even on per diem, there is a Sweet Tomatoes up the road, as well as a couple “little greek” places. The Butera offers WONDERFUL groceries, too.

St. Mary of the Angels. Run by Opus Dei priests. I’ve been to it. It’s great and NO LITURGICAL NONSENSE.
Nice place, but it’s in Bucktown in the City. LOOONG DRIVE from St. Charles just for ashes. Father Rosinski has a good reputation, having just come from St. Catherine West Dundee (Homeof IrishFest!).

St John’s is my parish! Go west on Route 64 and you can’t miss it.

Part of the trouble is you were looking in the wrong diocese! We are in the Rockford, IL diocese.

What kinda engineer? (Saw your other post)

I know you said you already found a Church to attend. Although just a suggestion for when you (or anyone else) travels.

Pretty much EVERY hotel will have a listing of local churches and their services just ask the front desk clerk or the concierge.
If you ask, they will also tell you 99% of the people who ask for this list are looking for a Catholic Church 😃

Oh also, if you are not staying at a hotel (say you are staying with friends that don’t know) just call a major hotel concierge desk and they will still be kind enough to give you this information.

And if you find things are a bit expensive in Pheasant Run for your budget, even on per diem, there is a Sweet Tomatoes up the road, as well as a couple “little greek” places. The Butera offers WONDERFUL groceries, too.
Ok so I’m here in Chicago at my hotel and I did see Pheasant Run, not sure what that refers to but I guess a shopping center or something. I am on my way out to find something to eat. Not sure where I’m going. I did see a White Castle down the road and have heard great thigns about the burgers but I’ll decide when I run into something :). Thanks for the suggestions!
St John’s is my parish! Go west on Route 64 and you can’t miss it.

Part of the trouble is you were looking in the wrong diocese! We are in the Rockford, IL diocese.

What kinda engineer? (Saw your other post)
I did electrical engineering in school. I work for an industrial distributor. I’m here for one of our main vendor’s trainings at their factory down the road.
I know you said you already found a Church to attend. Although just a suggestion for when you (or anyone else) travels.

Pretty much EVERY hotel will have a listing of local churches and their services just ask the front desk clerk or the concierge.
If you ask, they will also tell you 99% of the people who ask for this list are looking for a Catholic Church 😃

Oh also, if you are not staying at a hotel (say you are staying with friends that don’t know) just call a major hotel concierge desk and they will still be kind enough to give you this information.
Thanks a bunch. I always run into this problem when I go places and I never have one particular place to look or know who to ask. I just end up searching all over the internet hoping I’ll find something.

Pheasant Run is the largest combo hotel and convention center. Because of the zip code, I assumed (and we know what assume does, even on Ash Wednesday) you were staying there.

Did you like your sliders? Only problem with sliders- They come back. 😉 White Castle also makes a nifty little fish slider.

When you go to St. John’s, you will see the other stuff. You must be on Kirk Road, and not Route 64 at Pheasant Run.

Thanks a bunch. I always run into this problem when I go places and I never have one particular place to look or know who to ask. I just end up searching all over the internet hoping I’ll find something.
I also find that most hotels are also very up to date on Mass schedules for Holy Days! Also about 1/2 the time I am in Chicago, when I take a cab to Mass, the cabbie does not charge me (I always still tip him though!) 😃

Another travel note, USE the concierge! They are FREE and can give you some GREAT stuff. On one trip to Chicago, I was in great need of a hot tub (horrible back problems). Well the hotel didn’t have one. I was talking to the concierge and he got me a FREE week long pass to a fitness center close by that had a hot tub I could use he also found me a GREAT deal on a massage therapist!! They also have some great coupons to restaurants and shows!!

I know the OP solved her problem, but I just wanted to say that I went to Mass at the Cathedral a few times, and it’s just beautiful. They have the mitres of all the past bishops hanging in the sanctuary… a nice tribute. We were there going to school while Bernardin was still alive. I guess his is hanging in the Cathedral now too…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back