Catholic Converts, are you happy you converted?

  • Thread starter Thread starter DoxieMama
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! I am going to start RCIA in a couple weeks. I am currently Lutheran, but I have been wanting to convert to Catholicism for awhile. I’d like to hear from converts about your experience, and whether you are happy now.

Also, how do you deal with negative comments from family, friends, etc. about the beliefs of Catholicism, such as not using contraception to prevent pregnancy? Thanks :o
I am a Convert from the Orthodox Jewish Religion, I was thrown out of my house at 17 with just the clothes on my back, and my parents did not talk to me for 10 years but I would do it all again, I am now a Catholic for 2O years and what a great spiritual journey I have been on, but throughout the Lord has given me special graces which you will also receive, you know what they say the Lord is never outdone in generousity, you only have to read the Church Fathers to know what religion is the correct religion Christ founded the Catholic Church as HIS CHURCH , not the 33 thousand denominations, if you go to Devotion to the Blessed Sacrament, saying the Rosary, attending Mass you will wonder how the whole world has not caught on to the fact that to be Catholic equates to happiness on earth, so goodness knows whats awaits us in heaven, as for comments by non Catholics, a lot of comments are due to ignorance, and I because I am mouthy by nature, tell them this and then try and explain what the real answer or question is. Read and know your Bible well so you can answer some of these questions. Your example and joy on your face will say it all.👍:):clapping:
 
We have been Catholic for about seven years.

We have three children we would not have had were it not for the Church’s teachings on contraception. 😃 We love those little ones! Their existence is an unqualified good.

My parents were … not best pleased at our conversion. They are Protestant missionaries, and they did not like it at all. They still haven’t gotten over it. I doubt they ever will. My husband’s family cared less than mine did, but they didn’t like it, either.

I would never, never change it. The Catholic Church holds the fullness of truth. How could I ever go elsewhere?
amen to that.
According to Humanae Vitae and Theology of the Body, both authoritative but not with infallible charism, my sex life, as you call it, is the Church’s business. Perhaps you are different from the rest of us.
Perhaps you should re-read my post or ask for clarification before you make accusations. The OP asked how to deal with those who make rude comments about the Church’s teachings on contraception. When people make those comments to me, I respond that my sex life is none of their business.
 
Hello! I am going to start RCIA in a couple weeks. I am currently Lutheran, but I have been wanting to convert to Catholicism for awhile. I’d like to hear from converts about your experience, and whether you are happy now.

Also, how do you deal with negative comments from family, friends, etc. about the beliefs of Catholicism, such as not using contraception to prevent pregnancy? Thanks :o
I guess I’m a ‘re-vert’ rather than a convert, but I think it’s very similar to being a convert. I made a conscious decision to live my faith after spending a few years ignoring it and looking at other religions–not practicing or joining, but doing a lot of reading.

I’m ecstatic with my decision to live my faith and the fruits it has produced in my life, including my children who wouldn’t be here had I gone the way of the world.

I have had negative comments from my Catholic parents because I follow the Catholic faith, not their version of the Catholic faith. They used birth control their entire marriage and they have made some scathing comments to others about me ‘with all those kids.’

Actually, the whole story (which I won’t go into here) is much, much worse than that, but the ultimate root of all the ugliness is that it’s an alcoholic family. If it hadn’t been my many kids that set it off, something else would have sooner or later. I think that pertains to the question…? 🤷
 
Hello! I am going to start RCIA in a couple weeks. I am currently Lutheran, but I have been wanting to convert to Catholicism for awhile. I’d like to hear from converts about your experience, and whether you are happy now.
The experience of being Catholic just gets more amazing all the time. I’m glad I converted - I’m happier now than I’ve ever been in my life before. 🙂
Also, how do you deal with negative comments from family, friends, etc. about the beliefs of Catholicism, such as not using contraception to prevent pregnancy? Thanks :o
I wouldn’t respond at all, or else with a look of amazement, to anyone who comments on my sex life.

As to the rest, just tell people that you are still learning, and that if they have questions, the Inquiry group is open to everyone. 😉
 
I converted about 16 years ago – best thing I ever did.
It’s true, as Jacques points out, that the Catholic church doesn’t allow some things that are accepted in the secular world or even in other churches. But his complaint seems to be that if he hadn’t been Catholic, he would have been able to sin with a clear conscience, and have had a family. I would prefer to follow the church’s teachings, avoid sin, and accept the circumstances God sends me. As it is, we adopted 2 children, who are just as beloved as our bio-kids. The church does not frown on certain things just to annoy or test us, she does so because under the leadership of the holy father, she knows that some things are dangerous or harmful for our souls. She has 2000 years of experience, I will take her guidance over my own by-the-seat-of-my-pants philosophy any day, since it didn’t get me anyplace I wanted to be. I am sure you will not regret joining the church. There is such a rich and wonderful history, and so many splendid resources in the church, it widened my universe.
Hi Viki:

Congratulations on your conversion, and on your wonderful family, 2 adopted kids, and 2 of your own bio-kids, you called them. I’m not sure if you got my complaint or not…if you know my story (it’s in the old infertility thread that got deleted once it got too big) then you’ll know we have serial miscarriages, but I am perfectly capable of fathering a child, and indeed my wife’s sister (not Catholic) has volunteered to do it. Obviously, the Catholic Church doesn’t approve of that. Nor does She approve of several treatments for infertility currently available to modern science. But had I remained Anglican (say), these would have been perfectly acceptable, and I would have been a father by now, maybe even a grand-dad.

When I’m speaking of regret, I don’t think I’m speaking of “sinning with a clear conscience”. Of course you might be right…the Devil himself, the Father of Lies, might well be clouding my judgment, and I just don’t know it yet. But say, all those years ago when I was looking for Faith, I decided to join something like the Muslim faith (I was considering it for a time, and even attended a Mosque in Toronto, albeit temporarily. This was long before the events of 9/11 and the rise of Islamic Terrorism, which have made even considering or dialoguing with the Muslim Faith anathema to many). If I were a Muslim, say, this infertility problem in my marriage would not even exist…I’d just keep my spouse, and add another, fertile, one, who we could have a family with, and we’d all live together under the same roof. I know some Islamic families who do this, in fact. It wouldn’t be “sinning with a clear conscience”, as polygamy is perfectly acceptable in Islam, subject to conditions (you treat the different wives equally, fairly, etc). It was certainly commonplace in Biblical times, and indeed Thomas Aquinas himself wrote much about it, and not always in an unfavourable light. But that’s another thread I think.

So what I think I’m saying is that overall I’m glad I joined the Catholic Church, but I’d be lying if I didn’t say that I have some regrets. About the only thing I’d advise is that if someone is thinking about joining the Church, make sure you have your medical/reproductive/familial “ducks in a row”.…if someone in your family tree has a history of miscarriage/infertility, then get yourself checked out, first, because you will be closing off a lot of modern medical options if you do join. Infertile people are treated like lepers at our Church, which has lots of young, thriving families (some just assume we must be contracepting, why else would we not have kids by now? “They must be taking birth control pills!” Others know we are infertile, and when they started having children, they kind of “drifted apart” from us (I know some childless couples who don’t go to Church, and they’ve noticed this phenomena too; families with kids are now so busy with the children that honest, they don’t have time for you anymore, and they stop calling, they won’t return your calls, and just close into the New Mom’s Circle at the Church or Wherever. Even the husbands/fathers often feel neglected by their wives’ devotion to the children, but nobody wants to talk about it, and it’s a separate issue anyway). Still others avoid us because they’re worried they might “catch” infertility from us in some way. I know it’s crazy, but people fear things on an irrational, emotional, gut level…it may not make sense, but you’re still afraid. What I do want to say: The Catholic Church is Super Pro-Family.…if you can’t have a family, for whatever reason (you’re infertile, or homosexual, or asexual, or something else), an awful lot of Catholics think that you are “disordered” in some way, even if you do follow the Church’s teachings. I’d love to say the Faith is all Sunshine and Roses, but it isn’t. There’s a lot of things I love about the Catholic Church, but it “really sucks” if for whatever reason, you can’t fit in, so be careful. Caveat Emptor.

Jacques
 
THIS is worth every sacrifice you will ever make to become a Catholic. There is no greater joy. 🙂
 
I’m very happy.

Althugh I’ve been Catholic for only a few months, in my heart I feel like I’ve been Catholic forever. 😃 I get teary sometimes when I observe other people’s devotion to the faith. Like, I want that kind of devotion someday! Although I know this is still the honeymoon stage, I hope this passion will never leave me. 😊
 
Hi Viki:

I’m not sure if you got my complaint or not…if you know my story (it’s in the old infertility thread that got deleted once it got too big) then you’ll know we have serial miscarriages, but I am perfectly capable of fathering a child, and indeed my wife’s sister (not Catholic) has volunteered to do it. Obviously, the Catholic Church doesn’t approve of that. Nor does She approve of several treatments for infertility currently available to modern science. But had I remained Anglican (say), these would have been perfectly acceptable, and I would have been a father by now, maybe even a grand-dad.

When I’m speaking of regret, I don’t think I’m speaking of “sinning with a clear conscience”. Of course you might be right…the Devil himself, the Father of Lies, might well be clouding my judgment, and I just don’t know it yet. But say, all those years ago when I was looking for Faith, I decided to join something like the Muslim faith (I was considering it for a time, and even attended a Mosque in Toronto, albeit temporarily. This was long before the events of 9/11 and the rise of Islamic Terrorism, which have made even considering or dialoguing with the Muslim Faith anathema to many). If I were a Muslim, say, this infertility problem in my marriage would not even exist…I’d just keep my spouse, and add another, fertile, one, who we could have a family with, and we’d all live together under the same roof. I know some Islamic families who do this, in fact. It wouldn’t be “sinning with a clear conscience”, as polygamy is perfectly acceptable in Islam, subject to conditions (you treat the different wives equally, fairly, etc). It was certainly commonplace in Biblical times, and indeed Thomas Aquinas himself wrote much about it, and not always in an unfavourable light. But that’s another thread I think.

So what I think I’m saying is that overall I’m glad I joined the Catholic Church, but I’d be lying if I didn’t say that I have some regrets. About the only thing I’d advise is that if someone is thinking about joining the Church, make sure you have your medical/reproductive/familial “ducks in a row”.…if someone in your family tree has a history of miscarriage/infertility, then get yourself checked out, first, because you will be closing off a lot of modern medical options if you do join. Infertile people are treated like lepers at our Church, which has lots of young, thriving families (some just assume we must be contracepting, why else would we not have kids by now? “They must be taking birth control pills!” Others know we are infertile, and when they started having children, they kind of “drifted apart” from us (I know some childless couples who don’t go to Church, and they’ve noticed this phenomena too; families with kids are now so busy with the children that honest, they don’t have time for you anymore, and they stop calling, they won’t return your calls, and just close into the New Mom’s Circle at the Church or Wherever. Even the husbands/fathers often feel neglected by their wives’ devotion to the children, but nobody wants to talk about it, and it’s a separate issue anyway). Still others avoid us because they’re worried they might “catch” infertility from us in some way. I know it’s crazy, but people fear things on an irrational, emotional, gut level…it may not make sense, but you’re still afraid. What I do want to say: The Catholic Church is Super Pro-Family.…if you can’t have a family, for whatever reason (you’re infertile, or homosexual, or asexual, or something else), an awful lot of Catholics think that you are “disordered” in some way, even if you do follow the Church’s teachings. I’d love to say the Faith is all Sunshine and Roses, but it isn’t. There’s a lot of things I love about the Catholic Church, but it “really sucks” if for whatever reason, you can’t fit in, so be careful. Caveat Emptor.

Jacques
Jacques, I apologize if my comment sounded harsh. I tend to forget there are real live people behind these posts – what I get for posting late at night.
You’re right, the Catholic church is not perfect, certainly not the most socially friendly place around. I don’t really socialize with too many at the church beyond my crisis clinic friends.
But I don’t see any point in someone hesitating to join the church because of inability to have children. Joining the Muslims and acquiring another wife would not solve the problem – I have to believe that God is not pleased with polygamy, or surrogate parenting, or IVF. The whole point is pleasing God, not joining a church that would allow us to do what we please.
Of course, the polygamists don’t know their actions are displeasing to God, so their sin is lessened by ignorance. But if you or I joined them to get what we wanted, we’d have to answer to Him. We are best off belonging to the one true church, whether or not we like what She teaches. We have to believe that it is for our salvation in the long run.
I don’t know your situation, but perhaps you could consider being foster parents, or even Respite care foster parents. There’s a tremendous need for that.
Again, I apologize if I came off as harsh. Not intended.
Viki
 
Hello! I am going to start RCIA in a couple weeks. I am currently Lutheran, but I have been wanting to convert to Catholicism for awhile. I’d like to hear from converts about your experience, and whether you are happy now.

Also, how do you deal with negative comments from family, friends, etc. about the beliefs of Catholicism, such as not using contraception to prevent pregnancy? Thanks :o
As another convert from Lutheran(converted to Lutheran first). ABSOLUTELY happy. Best decision I ever made. It will be 10 years this coming Easter. And I still get totally amazed when Im kneeling there watching the consecration.
As far as negativity from family…the only one I deal with is my husband. And he is manageable. Just live by example. Keep it simple and dont rise to the arguments and debates. KNOW your faith 🙂 Good luck and God Bless
 
As another convert from Lutheran(converted to Lutheran first). ABSOLUTELY happy. Best decision I ever made. It will be 10 years this coming Easter. And I still get totally amazed when Im kneeling there watching the consecration.
As far as negativity from family…the only one I deal with is my husband. And he is manageable. Just live by example. Keep it simple and dont rise to the arguments and debates. KNOW your faith 🙂 Good luck and God Bless
Even after 10 years I am working on KNOWING my faith. There’s so much of it to learn:shrug:
 
Over 24 years from conversion - from non-practicing Jew to Catholic. My husband, who was pretty much an atheist followed me into RCIA and we were baptized together at Easter Vigil. My faith is my greatest gift - won later in life than many, but all the more precious.

I seldom go through a day without thanking God for the gift of faith and Holy Mother Church.

That said, the spiritual turmoil I went through the conversion process – over two years for me – that’s not anything I ever want to go through again. So glad the Holy Spirit took hold of me and didn’t let go of me. Can’t imagine not being Catholic. It is beyond words to explain how important it is to me.

God bless you in your own journey. Take comfort in knowing that many have gone down this path before you, and we understand what you are going through and the doubts, fears, wonder - it is part of the journey.
 
I entered the Church in September of last year and was confirmed in March of this year.

I am so happy I converted! Catholicism is more rich than I ever imagined and I know I will spend my lifetime exploring its nuggets of wisdom.

That is not to say it is always easy. We all face different challenges in different ways. One of my challenges come from hearing or reading different viewpoints from people that conflict with what I believe the Church teaches, but the key is to remember that the Church is guided by the Holy Spirit and put it all in God’s hands.

As converts, we bring different perspectives to our parishes and some of these perspectives can enrich the parishes.
Also, how do you deal with negative comments from family, friends, etc. about the beliefs of Catholicism, such as not using contraception to prevent pregnancy?
When I speak to my evangelical family, I say “As Catholics, we believe…”

By saying that I hope that I am telling them that they don’t have to believe or understand what I believe, but what I believe is what I believe and they can’t convince me otherwise. It seems to work for the most part.

Welcome home!

By the way, God drew me to Catholicism through CAF!
 
I am a rather recent convert and I converted from Evangelical Fundamentalist to Roman Catholicism. I am glad I converted and I love so many aspects of the RC Church, but there are also some things I miss about my old Church and don’t like from experiences in the Catholic church. I really like how reverent the Catholic Church is and I love how beautiful and full of meaning Mass is. I also really enjoy being a lecturer. I always felt that there was so much missing in my old faith and I couldn’t figure out what it was, or if there was a problem with my heart that I couldn’t see. Now I feel that my faith is full, I now have the Eucharist, intercession/communion of the Saints, apostolic succession, and the working together of faith and works. I also like that in Mass is more interactive and the congregation are participants instead of just observers. I love how different aspects of Mass remind me of the important and central beliefs and practices of our faith.

Now I would never leave the Church because I really believe in it’s teachings and such, but there are some issues I have been faced with. I do miss the kind of fellowship we had in my old Church. Everyone knew each other and we would look out for each other by bringing meals to the sick or needy, by helping out around the house or yard for those who needed it, raising money for kids who couldn’t afford to go to camp so they could go for free, ect. I generally like the music at Church, but I do like when the music is changed up a little (a mix of old and new), so far I haven’t been to a Catholic Church that has had a mix… generally all new or all older music. I didn’t like at my old Church that they were very judgmental and gossipy and it is pretty much the same in the Catholic Church. Also in every Catholic Church I have gone to, my husband and I have been one of maybe 10 people around our age and no groups for people our age.
 
Also in every Catholic Church I have gone to, my husband and I have been one of maybe 10 people around our age and no groups for people our age.
The Catholic Church doesn’t really do “age groups” as such - women of any age can join the CWL, and men of any age can join the Knights of Columbus. The rest of the groups are open to everyone - even the Youth Group is probably looking for adult mentors to come in and give talks every now and then.
 
The Catholic Church doesn’t really do “age groups” as such - women of any age can join the CWL, and men of any age can join the Knights of Columbus. The rest of the groups are open to everyone - even the Youth Group is probably looking for adult mentors to come in and give talks every now and then.
Honestly I am looking for groups of people more around my age. That is something I don’t like about the Catholic Church. I miss having people around my age and in my stage of life that I can relate to with faith and experiences. I find that both CWL and Knights of Columbus are groups where we are the youngest by 20 years or so, plus we have baby faces, so people treat us like we are kids. Also from my old Church there were Bible studies based on age groups and such which I really enjoyed. This is just something I miss about my old Church, it isn’t a right or wrong thing. There is nothing wrong with me missing groups set up for different age groups.
 
Honestly I am looking for groups of people more around my age. That is something I don’t like about the Catholic Church. I miss having people around my age and in my stage of life that I can relate to with faith and experiences. I find that both CWL and Knights of Columbus are groups where we are the youngest by 20 years or so, plus we have baby faces, so people treat us like we are kids. Also from my old Church there were Bible studies based on age groups and such which I really enjoyed. This is just something I miss about my old Church, it isn’t a right or wrong thing. There is nothing wrong with me missing groups set up for different age groups.
True, sure enough. I just wanted you to be aware that you are welcome to participate in anything you want; your age has nothing to do with it. 🙂
 
Honestly I am looking for groups of people more around my age. That is something I don’t like about the Catholic Church. I miss having people around my age and in my stage of life that I can relate to with faith and experiences. I find that both CWL and Knights of Columbus are groups where we are the youngest by 20 years or so, plus we have baby faces, so people treat us like we are kids. Also from my old Church there were Bible studies based on age groups and such which I really enjoyed. This is just something I miss about my old Church, it isn’t a right or wrong thing. There is nothing wrong with me missing groups set up for different age groups.
Do you go to a small parish? Maybe you can speak to the Pastor about the possibility of starting a group for younger people.
I do miss the kind of fellowship we had in my old Church. Everyone knew each other and we would look out for each other by bringing meals to the sick or needy, by helping out around the house or yard for those who needed it, raising money for kids who couldn’t afford to go to camp so they could go for free…
I totally get what you mean. I think that is the beauty of converts joining the Church. We also bring to parishes some of the positive experiences we did have at our old churches.

Unfortunately or fortunately, sometimes we have to be the ones to bring up the ideas which may or may not be received joyfully.

I will say there is an adjustment but things get better.
 
Do you go to a small parish? Maybe you can speak to the Pastor about the possibility of starting a group for younger people.

I totally get what you mean. I think that is the beauty of converts joining the Church. We also bring to parishes some of the positive experiences we did have at our old churches.

Unfortunately or fortunately, sometimes we have to be the ones to bring up the ideas which may or may not be received joyfully.

I will say there is an adjustment but things get better.
Jesus and His disciples certainly brought up ideas in their day that were not received joyfully by many:shrug:
 
Do you go to a small parish? Maybe you can speak to the Pastor about the possibility of starting a group for younger people.

I totally get what you mean. I think that is the beauty of converts joining the Church. We also bring to parishes some of the positive experiences we did have at our old churches.

Unfortunately or fortunately, sometimes we have to be the ones to bring up the ideas which may or may not be received joyfully.

I will say there is an adjustment but things get better.
No, the parishes we have been to were all bigger (we move a lot), just there really have never been too many people our age. We are in our mid-twenties and usually there are about 10 or so other people within the 20-35 age bracket. Just not a lot of people our age, so they really don’t have anything for them. Although in my old church it was the same deal, but they still had a bible study for our age group and a group that met monthly for just spending time together and getting to know each other. There were only about 100 members at my old Church, but they had more small groups then the large parishes we attend/attended. Unfortunately we can’t really start one due to my hubbies irregular schedule (and we like both of us to be home if we are having a group of people over).

We brought up ideas, but unfortunately there has to be someone to run them. We are not able, so it generally ends up not being done.
 
No, the parishes we have been to were all bigger (we move a lot), just there really have never been too many people our age. We are in our mid-twenties and usually there are about 10 or so other people within the 20-35 age bracket. Just not a lot of people our age, so they really don’t have anything for them. Although in my old church it was the same deal, but they still had a bible study for our age group and a group that met monthly for just spending time together and getting to know each other. There were only about 100 members at my old Church, but they had more small groups then the large parishes we attend/attended. Unfortunately we can’t really start one due to my hubbies irregular schedule (and we like both of us to be home if we are having a group of people over).

We brought up ideas, but unfortunately there has to be someone to run them. We are not able, so it generally ends up not being done.
Check with your Diocese Youth Ministry office - there is usually something on the Diocesan level for young adults. There is also CCO and NetMinistries for people your age. If one of both of you is attending University, there are also University groups that you can be part of, as well (and you don’t have to be a student to join, although the primary target audience is usually students, and the activities are usually geared toward the University school year).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top