Catholic crisis of faith?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Morjer
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Morjer

Guest
Long story short, I’m basically having a crisis of faith here.
I love the history and traditions of the catholic church don’t get me wrong. I grew up Roman Catholic, believed, went to confession and I had no issues for 20 years of my life. Every time I see a priest on the street or wherever, I am respectful and get this happy feeling since I know that they represent me.

Recently, I’ve started thinking about certain things. I don’t have any issues with homosexuals or whatever they want to be called or people that get abortions for reasons that I wouldn’t be able to understand. I feel like it is not my place to judge. I see people who say “turn the other cheek” and can’t help but think - No, stand up for what is yours and what you believe. I then look at all the denominations of Christian religion and think, well, nobody knows what is actually going on here, might as well live my life and hold myself up to my own standards and what will happen after I die is out of my hands.

I just can’t seem to reconcile the Church and it’s message with day to day living, and that makes me sad. Have anyone else experienced anything like this? Or have any advice?
 
I can’t dig it up immediately but will try later this evening, (need sleeping kiddos to concentrate, lol!) Bishop Robert Barron wrote a wonderful bit about how “turning the other cheek” is ironically an expression of defiant spiritual strength. Calling it “civil disobedience” sounds too political, but the idea was similar.

I go through similar struggles with the Church. You’re not alone!

Start approaching your faith as a way to gain insight instead of Answers, and your journey will be a more peaceful one.

I’ll check in on this thread and chat later. I have some thoughts on the LGBT can of worms, too, but this thread will probably explode with responses from that angle.
 
I don’t have any issues with homosexuals or whatever they want to be called
Neither does the Church. The Church only has a problem when they violate natural law.
people that get abortions for reasons that I wouldn’t be able to understand.
People commit murder, rape, and other heinous crimes for reasons humanity cannot understand. It doesn’t make it right.
 
As far as I know, “turning the other cheek” means not responding to them in the same way they are treating you. And by doing that, you are “standing up for what is yours, and what you believe”. you don’t have to say a word. Just walk away.
 
I think what you are describing is pretty normal. It sounds like you are having “growing pains”, in the spiritual sense. Some people describe it as a spell of spiritual “dryness”. The main thing is to investigate, and keep learning. One day something may happen to you or you may witness something, and it will snap you right back into your faith, only many times stronger than what you were before.

As human beings, we seem to be designed to think, learn, percolate, conclude…wash, rinse, repeat. Even people with the strongest faith have doubts sometimes. They readjust and continue on. I think it is good that you are aware of what is happening, but try not to worry about it.
 
Last edited:
nice breakdown of a long post, shipmate

i’ll just add:

the Catholic church has no issue w/ SSA

however; fornication is a sin

as for abortion;

what more can be said about the subject; abortion is murder

please try to be at peace in your daily life; cling to Mother Church
 
Last edited:
i think from reading the OP’s post, homosexuality and abortion might be two of the teachings.
 
Recently, I’ve started thinking about certain things. I don’t have any issues with homosexuals or whatever they want to be called or people that get abortions for reasons that I wouldn’t be able to understand. I feel like it is not my place to judge. I see people who say “turn the other cheek” and can’t help but think - No, stand up for what is yours and what you believe. I then look at all the denominations of Christian religion and think, well, nobody knows what is actually going on here, might as well live my life and hold myself up to my own standards and what will happen after I die is out of my hands.
As a Christian, and particularly as a Catholic, you have the duty to discern what’s good and what’s evil. If someone is engaged in evil acts, you need to do what you can to put them on the right path. That includes people engaged in homosexual behavior and those who are seeking abortions. With one, they are abusing the purpose of sex and preventing themselves from achieving its end: conception, the creation of new life. On the other, someone is seeking to end another’s life. Both are grave evils (and how related they are, as they both either prevent new life from coming forth or terminate an existing one).

It is certainly your place to “judge” in these situations- don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. Don’t fall for the overly simplistic “who are you to judge” or “turn the other cheek”, as both distort the true meaning of the Scripture. You aren’t called to “judge” only on issues where every reasonable individual believes the same as you. What purpose does it serve if everyone’s already on the same page?

Ask yourself, “Why do I believe all of this?” Do you have a particular reason for abiding in the Catholic faith? What is it?
 
Last edited:
people that get abortions for reasons that I wouldn’t be able to understand.
I am fiercely pro-life and agree with you here. My opposition to abortion is bioethical. My support for women is unequivocal. Are you familiar with Feminist for Life? Supporting them has reconciled these two positions beautifully for me.
I feel like it is not my place to judge.
It is your place to judge, but not how you think. Scripture permits us to judge actions, just not people.

When I went through my own crisis of faith, I booked an appointment with our parish deacon. (Priests are fine, too, but terribly busy). I’ll pray for you!
 
Morjer: When you pray, what does God reveal to you?
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top