Catholic doctrine and Astrological advice

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ransri
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ransri

Guest
Is seeking Astrological advice unethical for Catholics and if so why?
Does it really violate First Commandment of the Ten Commandments and is it banned
for Catholics by the Cannon Law ??
 
Last edited:
Is seeking Astrological advice unethical for Catholics and if so why?
It’s immoral because it attempts to prescribe divine attributes to celestial bodies which do not belong to them.
Does it really violate First Commandment of the Ten Commandments
Yup.
and is it banned
for Catholics by the Cannon Law ??
Does it have to be when it’s already in violation of the First Commandment?
 
Both Christians and Jews continued to practise astrology at least in a cultural sense until well into the Renaissance period - just think of Shakespeare or all those illuminated zodiacs. However, I am not sure why you would want to seek astrological advice as it is simply utter nonsense. The relative positions of planets, moons, and stars on particular dates has no influence at all on what happens, what choices you should make, etc. I think you will cause yourself difficulties if you actually begin to believe that stuff.
 
Is seeking Astrological advice unethical for Catholics and if so why?
Does it really violate First Commandment of the Ten Commandments and is it banned
for Catholics by the Cannon Law ??
CCC 2116 All forms of divination are to be rejected: recourse to Satan or demons, conjuring up the dead or other practices falsely supposed to “unveil” the future. Consulting horoscopes, astrology, palm reading, interpretation of omens and lots, the phenomena of clairvoyance, and recourse to mediums all conceal a desire for power over time, history, and, in the last analysis, other human beings, as well as a wish to conciliate hidden powers. They contradict the honor, respect, and loving fear that we owe to God alone.
 
I don’t think I’ve ever read a single horoscope about myself that even remotely was accurate.
 
I don’t think I’ve ever read a single horoscope about myself that even remotely was accurate.
One of my friends had a book on zodiac signs and there were like five pages per sign of personality traits.
Naturally, I had some of the traits listed under my sign.
(In five pages, they had to have gotten at least one right LOL).

I know it’s a sin, but o just have a hard time understanding why anyone takes astrology seriously in this day and age. 🤨
 
Question. How is astrology even a thing?
Conception not birth should be the indicator. Medical science can retrieve a baby from a womb two or more “signs” prior to birth…
 
Last edited:
Can you imagine that? “Honey, not tonight, I want our baby to be a libra! Ask me again in three months!”
 
Last edited:
But we are in the year of the pig, so it’s just like opposite day but for the whole year so I’m right…
 
40.png
SteelArchangel:
I don’t think I’ve ever read a single horoscope about myself that even remotely was accurate.
One of my friends had a book on zodiac signs and there were like five pages per sign of personality traits.
Naturally, I had some of the traits listed under my sign.
(In five pages, they had to have gotten at least one right LOL).

I know it’s a sin, but o just have a hard time understanding why anyone takes astrology seriously in this day and age. 🤨
As Western Civilization moves farther away from Reason, not only will we see more new nonsense, we will see revival of old nonsense too.

150 years ago there were intense arguments by Huxley and others who said Reason alone is sufficient. The Catholic Church, and not many Protestants, had to argue that of course Reason is necessary, but so is Faith.

Today the Church has to defend not only Faith but Reason. I volunteer at a newer Catholic high school that teaches Philosophy. This subject is more important now, as we move into a new Dark Ages. Fortunately some Protestant institutions are finally taking a look at this subject.
 
Last edited:
Same here. I never understood why it’s not one of the water signs.
Anyway, our church has the four symbols of the Gospels painted above the altar: Aquarius, Taurus, Capricorn, and Leo.
 
Yeah that always bugged me too. Aquarius is the water-bearer…but somehow it’s an air sign.
 
The kind of astrology then was more a combination of early astronomy and metaphysics.
 
He was abducted by Zeus to be on Mount Olympus so perhaps that’s why.
 
Same here. I never understood why it’s not one of the water signs.
Anyway, our church has the four symbols of the Gospels painted above the altar: Aquarius, Taurus, Capricorn, and Leo.
I have never heard of the 4 symbols of the
Gospels as Aquarius, Taurus, Capricorn and Leo.

I have heard that man is the symbol for
Matthew, the lion is Mark, the ox is Luke and the eagle is John.
 
As it was explained to me, the Apostles would point to familiar constellations when they were evangelizing pagans, to explain that the Gospels are as permanent and unchanging as the stars in the sky. Capricorn was depicted as an eagle back then.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top