H
houseofsaul
Guest
Is doctrine and dogma held by the Church as equals?
So that means if the Church holds as Doctrine that Mary is CoRedemptrix as a Catholic I would have to believe as Dogma? If I don’t, is it considered sin?As far as I can tell (and I’m no expert), the main difference between the two words is that “doctrine” comes from a Latin word, while “dogma” is an actual Greek word.
It may be that “doctrine” refers to Catholic teachings in general, while “dogma” more often refers to one particular teaching, like the dogma of the perpetual virginity of the Blessed Virgin.
No. Things move out of doctrinal discussions into a dogma. Once it gets to be infallibly defined as dogma, you’re bound to accept it. If it is only in the discussion stage and remains a familiar teaching then you can accept or reject it. Titles of Mary are good examples. Go through her Litany. In it you will experience both doctrine and dogma. Think of it this way: dogma has more weight and you are correct, it would be a sin against faith to reject dogma. Doctrine can contained disciplines which do change from time to time. Some doctrine is binding, so not. One that gets folks hot under the collar is Mary as Mediatrix of Grace. It is okay to believe that Mary is a Mediatrix od Grace. The grey area is when the word “All” gets added to the title as in Mediatrix of All Graces. But for this example I think it shows how it rolls. Get it?So that means if the Church holds as Doctrine that Mary is CoRedemptrix as a Catholic I would have to believe as Dogma? If I don’t, is it considered sin?
Incorrect.DaveBj #2
It may be that “doctrine” refers to Catholic teachings in general, while “dogma” more often refers to one particular teaching, like the dogma of the perpetual virginity of the Blessed Virgin.
Glendab #5
Things move out of doctrinal discussions into a dogma.
Thanks GlendaHello Houseofsaul.
No. Things move out of doctrinal discussions into a dogma. Once it gets to be infallibly defined as dogma, you’re bound to accept it. If it is only in the discussion stage and remains a familiar teaching then you can accept or reject it. Titles of Mary are good examples. Go through her Litany. In it you will experience both doctrine and dogma. Think of it this way: dogma has more weight and you are correct, it would be a sin against faith to reject dogma. Doctrine can contained disciplines which do change from time to time. Some doctrine is binding, so not. One that gets folks hot under the collar is Mary as Mediatrix of Grace. It is okay to believe that Mary is a Mediatrix od Grace. The grey area is when the word “All” gets added to the title as in Mediatrix of All Graces. But for this example I think it shows how it rolls. Get it?
Glenda
P.S. The Church would never hold anything as Dogma that isn’t part of our revealed truth. Nothing can be added to or taken away from the set Dogma we call our faith. It can be elaborated upon though and we grow in understanding all the time.
Incorrect.
No. I am not. I will use the Immaculate Conception as my example. Prior to the promulgation of this DOGMA, it was in the realm of Doctrine. Every one believed it and it was taught, but it wasn’t as binding as it is now as a defined DOGMA. * It moved, as I said from Doctrine to Dogma*
The denial or dissent from any doctrine is sinful if done with the knowledge of the truth of the doctrine and the required assent to that truth – so that statement implying that only a denial of dogma is sinful is lacking in credibility.glendab #9
It moved, as I said from Doctrine to Dogma. Now you cannot doubt it without incurring sin