Catholic Engagement Ceremony

  • Thread starter Thread starter lolesk
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lolesk

Guest
Hi, my name is Lucy and I’m in charge of the marriage preparation program for our parish. I have a couple who would like to have some type of engagement ceremony performed. Does something like this exist? Where do I look? Thank you.
 
I’ve never heard of such a thing.

They could always ask to have a Mass said for their intentions. :confused:

~Liza
 
Order for the Blessing of an Engaged Couple, Book of Blessings, Liturgical Press, Minnesota, 1989, ISBN 0-8146-1875-8, page 59. “Neither a formal betrothal nor the special blessing of an engaged coouple is ever to be combined with the celebration of Mass” (n. 198).
 
Hi, my name is Lucy and I’m in charge of the marriage preparation program for our parish. I have a couple who would like to have some type of engagement ceremony performed. Does something like this exist? Where do I look? Thank you.
Yes, it exists, always has. You will find it in the Book of blessings (I think).
 
Sure is, in the Book of Blessings. It used to be called a Betrothal Blessing. You can have your engagement ring blessed at the same time. It does not mean you have to marry the person if things don’t work out- but it is very lovely way to start the engagement process.
 
Well - I learned a new thing today!!! And I even have a copy of the Book of Blessings! Go figure! :rolleyes:

~Liza
 
Well - I learned a new thing today!!! And I even have a copy of the Book of Blessings! Go figure! :rolleyes:

~Liza
I did too.

But for the record, I still really like your idea of begining the journey to marriage with a Mass offered for them.

I did know one young couple who made daily morning Mass and coffee afterwards before work there “daily date” while preparing for marriage (ended up being a married thing too!).

7 years and three kids later, they are still goin pretty strong!
 
Slight change of subject, but I just though the idea was so awesome. I had a customer who was proposed to in church in front of the BLesses Sacrament. The girl that works for me and I told them that if they ever split up we dont want to know about it, I think we would take it as hard as they would.
 
Be careful here. In ancient Israel the couple was considered married from the announcement of the betrothal.

Matthew
 
It is a beautiful blessing… my now DH and I had it done when we were first engaged. It was wonderful to know that we had those special graces as we went through the preparation for our marriage! 👍
 
Be careful here. In ancient Israel the couple was considered married from the announcement of the betrothal.

Matthew
This is the 21st century, and the blessing clearly does not mean the couple is considered married.
 
I found something that might be helpful. I never heard of a Catholic engagement party I know Jewish people have engagement parties where they invite all the family to celebrate the time and that is where they can tell the world about them wanting to get married but I never heard of Catholics doing that it seems like a lot of fun and in a way I wish we did do that. But this is what I found on aryashaadi.com/UserArticle/article/catholic_marriage.aspx#A1 The parents of the bride usually host the engagement party. the parish priest conducts the engagemnt ceremony. the ceremony consists of a brief prayer service. the couple exchanges engagment rings that have been blessed by the parish priest. the ceremony over, there is a small celebration in the form of a formal dinner or cocktail party. that is what I found on engagement partys if that helps any! Good luck and may God Bless you always!
 
Be careful here. In ancient Israel the couple was considered married from the announcement of the betrothal.

Matthew
They are in out culture too. See the thing is a language translation problem mostly. And engagement is not a betrothal. Today, what serves as a betrothal is actually what we call the marriage ceremony.

Just like Joseph needed to divorce Mary after their betrothal, a couple who has a wedding ceremony but did not consumate the marriage would also need to get divorced.

So for most people today, the period of betrothal is relatively short, being the period between the wedding ceremony and the consumation of the marriage, usually that same day or night.

An engagement is not a betrothal. It is generally recognized that while there is a promise attached, it is not the same and so an engagement can be broken without a divorce. People get confused because they say well didn’t the couple promise to marry. Well, yes they did. But note that many times people who are dating promise to date no one else or go steady. Does that mean they are betrothed too? No, the right to break off dating a person if one wants to is assumed in the process and any promises made are subject to the fact that the whole process is to find a suitable mate.

So too the engagement, if it is found during that time that it would be best not to get married, the engagement is broken. The right to do so being assumed throughout.

Only when the couple partakes in the solemn ceremony of marriage where lifetime promises or covenants are made is it then binding for life, a betrothal. Many marriage ceremonies even used to use the words, “I pledge you my troth.” Most today don’t use them, but that is still being done.

JJ
 
Here is the actual format of the ceremony from the Book of Blessings. We are having ours done right before a daily mass. So it’s not connected with a mass, but is done before the mass begins, which is totally legitimate 🙂

BLESSING OF AN ENGAGED COUPLE (to be done by a priest…)

(Sign of the Cross)
In the Name of the Father,
and the Son
and the Holy Spirit.

Let us pray:

Heavenly Father,
we praise You for Your goodness
in bringing us together to celebrate in joy.
Grant that all our festivities
may be for your honor and glory.
We ask this grace
through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Amen.

Let us pray for Teresa and Jonathan
and for their families and friends,
and ask God’s help for all in need:
(Moment of silence)
Lord, bless Teresa and Jonathan,
and help them as they prepare for marriage.
We pray to the Lord.

R. Lord, hear our prayer.

Keep them holy and pure in their lives,
deepen their spirit of prayer and love,
and lead them in perfect joy.
We pray to the Lord.

R. Lord, hear our prayer.

Bless their parents, families and friends,
and lead us to help Teresa and Jonathan
by our prayer and example as they prepare to marry.
We pray to the Lord.

R. Lord, hear our prayer.

Have mercy on all who suffer need or pain,
and through our generosity and love,
bring them help and consolation.
We pray to the Lord.

(Concluding prayer…)

Father,
hear our prayers in Your love.
Bless this couple, and help them as they prepare
to celebrate the sacrament of marriage.

Father, we ask this grace through Christ, our Lord.

Amen.

(Blessing of the ring…)

Father in heaven,
bless + this ring,
and grant Teresa and Jonathan Your grace,
so that they may prepare worthily
for the sacrament of marriage,
and live as Your beloved children.

Grant this, Father, through Christ, our Lord.

(Blessing of the engaged couple…)

May almighty God bless you, Teresa and Jonathan
May He grant you love and happiness,
peace and joy, and strength in trials,
all the days of your life together.

May almighty God,
Father, Son, + Holy Spirit,
give His blessing to you forever and ever.

Amen.
 
Although it’s probably too late for the OP, since this thread has been resurrected, and others might have an interest:

The Roman Ritual has a “Solemn Engagement or Betrothal” (page 297).

I once had a link to an online version of it, but can’t find it. I’ll post it if I ever do find it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top