Catholic Groups and Societies

• Thread starter Thread starter Dempsey1919
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dempsey1919

I want to join something in order to enrich my spirituality and to meet other Catholics. I am 21 years old but none of the groups geared towards my age appeal to me. Does anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking of joining a Third Order. Has anyone else done this?

Thanks.

There are a lot of people around here who are Oblates, Third Orders, etc. If there is an order that’s a good fit for you spiritually there are a lot of benefits. I’m a Benedictine Oblate and that’s an important part of my life.

If you’re mainly looking for something where you could meet people and share your faith, then you may do better to look at something in your parish or geographic area.

Within my parish there are all kinds of groups that focus on different kinds of activities. I belong to a small faith community that meets weekly and that is hugely important to me and enriches me spiritually (as well as forming deep friendships). I’m also an RCIA catechist and that enriches me in a different sort of way. Depending on your interests perhaps something that’s more social justice oriented would be of interest.

If you feel called to join a Third Order or something similar, then you should definitely pursue it. But I also see advantages to doing something with fellow parishioners.

If you feel called to join a Third Order or something similar, then you should definitely pursue it. But I also see advantages to doing something with fellow parishioners.
I feel called to the Priesthood at the moment but I can’t say that I’m happy about this because I always envisioned myself having a large family with a loving wife. I’ve decided that if I am not married by the time I am 35, then I am going to become a Priest.

I would like to join a Third Order because I would be connected to the Priesthood but then I think if I am going to join the Third Order, why shouldn’t I go the whole way and become a Priest?

Can’t say that I am happy about this. Part of me wants to be a Priest but another part really doesn’t want to give up the loving family life that I may have in the future.

In some strange way, I almost feel guilty about not becoming a Priest. I know there is a shortage of Priests and I don’t know if I am actually being called or if I feel as if I should become a Priest for the simple fact that I am a single young man.

If you feel that you are being called to the priesthood, you should talk to your pastor. He can put you in touch with the director of vocations for your diocese. They will help you discern if you have a true vocation.

I feel called to the Priesthood at the moment but I can’t say that I’m happy about this because I always envisioned myself having a large family with a loving wife. I’ve decided that if I am not married by the time I am 35, then I am going to become a Priest.
I hope you won’t mind a bit of unsolicited advice.

If you feel called to the priesthood, I wouldn’t wait until you’re 35 to pursue it.

Whether you’re interested in a religious order or a diocese, the vocation director would be happy to talk with you to help you discern your future. In an order you would have time as a novice that would allow you to discern further. It seems to me to be a no-lose situation. If you find out that you’re not called to be a priest, then you can go back to school or work or whatever and you haven’t lost anything.

On the other hand, if you meet someone and marry in the next few years, what happens if you turn 35 and decide that you made a mistake and really should have been a priest? You no longer have the opportunity to move in that direction.

I wouldn’t tell God to wait 14 years for a decision.

I haven’t yet, but one day… hope to become a Third Order Carmelite. Right now, I can’t commit to the rules… because I care for an elderly parent with Alzheimer’s… because of this, my days are very uncertain. I don’t know if I would be able to adhere to prayer life required. But I have always been drawn to Carmelite spirituality. And I have a deep devotion to St. Therese of Lisieux (The Little Flower, who was a Carmelite nun).

So, it’s kind of an eventual goal for me… God’s Will be done. And God bless you, as you discern the call for yourself. 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back