T
Teresa_Charity
Guest
JMJ
Teresa Charity
Code:
I am attending a state university, and my American History professor has said several things about Catholics that are not true, but I am not sure how to refute them. The first topic was on the selling of indulgences at the time of Martin Luther. My professor said that Luther met with the Holy Father and asked the Pope to denounce the selling of indulgences. My professor went on to say that the Pope refused, thereby supporting the selling of indulgences (due primarily to monetary gain for the Church).
Secondly, my professor said that the Pope's "silence" about the Nazis at the time of World War II was a great failure on the Pope's part. He said that the Pope did nothing. But I know that the Pope was defending Jews, but how do I support my view?
Finally, my professor claims that the purpose of the Jesuits was to make people in New lands into Catholics (implying that they forced native people to become Catholic). Especially when talking about the Spanish settlements in the southwest United States, he says that the Jesuits used force to make the natives become Catholic.
Any advice on how to support the Church's infallibility and true historical data would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! God Bless you!