Catholic interests

  • Thread starter Thread starter Daiguren
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Daiguren

Guest
To start this post I would like all that take the time out to read this to understand that I am not a religious person in any sense, I am not here to argue about any religion in any form and I fully respect any bodies choice is what they choose to follow or believe.

Now I have a huge interest in religion in many forms, the religion that I have found to be the most interesting is the Catholic religion. On researching different things, it has drawn my attention towards it as I am fascinated by things going on, I would like to know if any body could possibly direct me towards existing books or anything that I could access to research more into the religion and all its aspects. I have a huge fondness towards exorcism and the stories that exist in this area, but also have a huge interest in the religions background and how it has grown, including the Vatican and all that it entails. If anybody could provide me with any books or readings in which I could take my interest further and learn new things about the religion I would be grateful
 
First of all, congratulations on your interests! Honestly, the best place for you to start would actually be a local parish. Almost all Catholic parishes have a library filled with books about everything having to do with the Catholic faith (often times, there are books on non-Christian religions, as well, to help in ecumenism and apologetics). There are usually books on theology, spirituality & prayer, the saints, church history, and the sacraments. Talk to the pastor (or whoever is in charge of the library) about access, and tell him that you are interested in learning about the faith and seeing where it leads you.
 
Are you interested in Catholicism in an academic sense (just to study it) or in a spiritual sense (to be one)?
 
It really depends on just how in-depth you would like to get. Fulton Sheen wrote some of my favorites, and I tend do direct other people to his works since they were my own starting point when I took a real interest in my faith. I had begun with Thoughts for Daily Living, but if you are looking for an analysis, I would recommend his Life of Christ - it provides a great deal of insight and points to reflect upon.
 
To start this post I would like all that take the time out to read this to understand that I am not a religious person in any sense, I am not here to argue about any religion in any form and I fully respect any bodies choice is what they choose to follow or believe.

Now I have a huge interest in religion in many forms, the religion that I have found to be the most interesting is the Catholic religion. On researching different things, it has drawn my attention towards it as I am fascinated by things going on, I would like to know if any body could possibly direct me towards existing books or anything that I could access to research more into the religion and all its aspects. I have a huge fondness towards exorcism and the stories that exist in this area, but also have a huge interest in the religions background and how it has grown, including the Vatican and all that it entails. If anybody could provide me with any books or readings in which I could take my interest further and learn new things about the religion I would be grateful
Get the Catechism to see tidy summaries of all Catholic doctrines. You can see an online version with index here.

For exorcism books, the one I recommend most is Matt Baglio’s The Rite (the one the 2011 movie was based on). You can read my review of the book here and movie here. 😉

Although I have not read it, I have heard Exorcist Fr. Fortea speak at an exorcism workshop via MP3, and his book is Interview with an Exorcist.

There are a couple other exorcism books by Fr. Amorth called An Exorcist Tells His Story and An Exorcist: More Stories. I read the first and it was informative in many ways, but Fr. Amorth has a reputation for exaggeration. If you read these, read it in concert with the others above to get a larger picture.

If you’re interested in more references, audio files, etc… here is a post I compiled a while ago. Hope the links all still work.
 
If you have a local Catholic University, or even local parish school, they may be a great resource. If for no other reason than to develop a reliable source to provide information on where to get the information you seek.
 
Your all helping a great deal and I’m very thankful for it, its giving me a direction that I cant turn and I’m currently looking into finding a local Parish so that I can go and speak to a Pastor and using all the links and recommended writers/books to create a bigger database for my research, this is greatly appreciated 🙂
 
Are you interested in Catholicism in an academic sense (just to study it) or in a spiritual sense (to be one)?
I’m interested in the academic sense, personally I don’t find myself becoming religious, I do have some beliefs but they are very vague and very few
 
Your all helping a great deal and I’m very thankful for it, its giving me a direction that I cant turn and I’m currently looking into finding a local Parish so that I can go and speak to a Pastor and using all the links and recommended writers/books to create a bigger database for my research, this is greatly appreciated 🙂
Please make sure you are honest with whomever you make contact. Not only will it allow them to help you in your research better (cuts out what you don’t need and focuses on what you are looking for), but it will be better for them in the process as well. They will appreciate your upfront honesty.
 
Please make sure you are honest with whomever you make contact. Not only will it allow them to help you in your research better (cuts out what you don’t need and focuses on what you are looking for), but it will be better for them in the process as well. They will appreciate your upfront honesty.
I appreciate that and I will, I have no interest in misleading or lying to anybody that I manage to get in contact with, I appreciate peoples beliefs and feelings, I would never be dishonest about what I’m looking for and if I came in contact with someone who was not comfortable or did not feel happy discussing topics or matters that I am looking for I would fully understand, to appreciate the belief that people have I feel you must first appreciate the people that believe it
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top