O
Ora_et_Labora_1
Guest
First of all, I apologize if this isn’t in the right forum, but I don’t know exactly under what this falls under.
I was recently reading Mike Aquilina’s The Mass of the Early Christians and one of my greatest questions - how the Eucharist originated - was answered. I have always wondered if the Mass had any precedent or if it was something completely new; the question as to why bread and wine was used was also a part of that question. From this book I learned that the Liturgy is not something novel, but is rooted in Jewish liturgy, thus maintaining a certain continuity. As for the use of bread and wine, it seems that there was already a precedent for blessing bread and wine (there is a specific name for such a ritual in the jewish tradition, only I don’t have the book with me now to look it up).
Anyway, I got to thinking after this and another question came into my head, something which I am surprised that I had never thought of, being that it is so obvious. Most of the first Christians were Jews (if I’m not mistaken, Christianity is supposed to be understood as the natural “evolution” of a fulfilled Judeaism (sp?)). It should stand to reason then that there still exist Catholic Jews (i.e., Catholics of Jewish ancestry). Where can I find information about them, about their rites and traditions, etc.?
I was recently reading Mike Aquilina’s The Mass of the Early Christians and one of my greatest questions - how the Eucharist originated - was answered. I have always wondered if the Mass had any precedent or if it was something completely new; the question as to why bread and wine was used was also a part of that question. From this book I learned that the Liturgy is not something novel, but is rooted in Jewish liturgy, thus maintaining a certain continuity. As for the use of bread and wine, it seems that there was already a precedent for blessing bread and wine (there is a specific name for such a ritual in the jewish tradition, only I don’t have the book with me now to look it up).
Anyway, I got to thinking after this and another question came into my head, something which I am surprised that I had never thought of, being that it is so obvious. Most of the first Christians were Jews (if I’m not mistaken, Christianity is supposed to be understood as the natural “evolution” of a fulfilled Judeaism (sp?)). It should stand to reason then that there still exist Catholic Jews (i.e., Catholics of Jewish ancestry). Where can I find information about them, about their rites and traditions, etc.?