C
Contarini
Guest
This is true but I’m not sure how significant it is. When you find someone (at least, someone well trained in one of the major branches of Christianity) who takes credit for his own salvation, let me know (not least so I can keep my distance when lightning strikes).I THINK this is quickly answered, so it shouldn’t take too long.
I’m defining, for the purposes of this thread, monergism as stating that God, and God alone, is responsible for saving someone. In monergism He is absolutely sovereign, and salvation is absolutely not up to anyone but God. Whom He saves, He saves.
In Catholic theology, if a Catholic winds up in heaven, all the glory and honor and credit belong to God. If a Catholic goes to hell, it is that particular Catholic’s fault. So a Catholic who is a saint is a monergist. Catholics only get credit for their going to hell. Any merit a Catholic obtains is actually not to their own credit, but an act of grace, and is actually a gift of God. A Catholic cannot take credit for anything - even for an act of free will.
Comments?
All Christians are monergists in the sense you mean. On the other hand, there certainly were Christians in the 16th century (Erasmus, for instance) who spoke as if God contributes some (indeed most) to salvation and human beings contribute a little (a very little as Erasmus put it). I tend to agree with Louis Bouyer that both Erasmus and Luther were thinking mistakenly in zero-sum terms (Bouyer blamed nominalism–I’m not sure if this is fair or not). It doesn’t work that way. So to me the real debate is between the Reformed and Lutheran champions of monergism on the one hand, who do think of salvation in some sense in zero-sum terms, and what I believe to be the orthodox view on the other–that God works in us in such a way that our works are His.
Edwin