Catholic must-reads?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sneaux
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sneaux

Guest
I already have The Story of a Soul, the Diary of St. Faustina, and the autobiography of St. Teresa of Avila on my must-reads. Any suggestions?
 
This maybe a little unorthodox but I think that Dante’s Divine Comedy was integral with me returning to faith. Sure, he is totally pompous and mixes other traditions in his work, but a fairly educated person should be able to discern this. The recognition of sin (Inferno), the purification of sin (Purgatorio) and the salvation from sin (paradiso) are extremely important allegories in this Catholic poets work.
Also the Spiritual Exercises by St. Ignatius. A priest in a video said ‘when I die, I am not afraid to meet Christ. But I’m afraid of St. Ignatius’ and its totally true. Its a demanding discipline. Really helps you be all you can be and be a soldier for Christ.
 
An Introduction to the Devout Life - St Frances de Sales (I preferred this book to Imitation of Christ because of tone and writing style.)

Catholic Controversy - St Frances de Sales
 
I really like He and I by Gabrielle Bossis. Other people here have mentioned the intro (written by the translator) being new age-y, and since it’s translated from French, the wording has struck me as a bit literal at times, but it really did a good job helping me understand Jesus’ relationship with us on more of a personal level. For background, it’s the writings of a Catholic laywoman in France a bit before and after WWII if I’m not mistaken. Supposedly she heard Jesus’ voice every so often during the day, and would record what He said to her. I’m pretty sure most copies, or at least the parts she wrote, have the Imprimatur. There are various threads about the book on here if you search it.

Honestly, I’ve read most of it so far and it’s really touching. Several parts in particular have actually made me cry, and I don’t do that often. I’m actually pretty sure I’ve posted about the book before. I highly recommend it, just read it with the knowledge that it IS about one person’s individual relationship with Jesus, and that it isn’t doctrinal, though I haven’t found anything inconsistent with the teachings of the Church. Overall, it’s a pretty inspiring read and has brought me a lot of peace.
 
I found Frank Sheed’s “Theology and Sanity” to be an amazing Catholic book and it has the best explanation of the Trinity I have ever read. Also, G.K. Chesterton’s “Everlasting Man” is a great read.
 
Pax Christi!

The Seven Story Mountain by Thomas Merton.

Yes, and Dante.

God bless.
 
The Imitation of Christ by Thomas a Kempis

I personally find a lot of the books listed so far quite “heavy.” If that’s what you’re looking for, go for it and enjoy!

But if you’re sitting on a beach, I heartily recommend a lot of the books written by contemporary Catholics apologists, many who are converts from Protestantism. Look up Dr. Scott Hahn, David Currie, Tim Staples, and Thomas Howard for starters.

I also highly recommend the book Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis. Lewis never converted to Catholicism, but many Catholic Christians cite this book as the beginning of their “mature” understanding of Christianity. It’s an easy read, written in more modern English, and not very long.
 
Life of Christ by Venerable Fulton J. Sheen. A contemplative read from the very title to the last iota. Again, it is- Life of Christ (not- The life of Christ.)
 
Mother Teresa: Come Be My Light: The Private Writings of the Saint of Calcutta.

To hear, in her own words, that she experienced extended periods of doubting God, is so uplifting and reassuring. She was no different than you or me, yet she continued to love God even in her uncertainity.
 
This is more secular, but it definitely helps you in your spiritual life – Time Management for Catholics by Dave Durand.
 
This is more secular, but it definitely helps you in your spiritual life – Time Management for Catholics by Dave Durand.
Also, St. Catherine of Sienna’s Dialogue. One sentence of this book is like reading tomes and tomes in the course of 10 lifetimes.

The Dark Night of the Soul – St. John of the Cross

St. Thomas of Aquinas – Summa Teologica
St. Augustine – Confessions

Other contemporary authors

Scott Hahn
Peter Kreeft

Any books from them are great and easy reads.

Also, The Angels by Fr. Pascal P. Parente
Hungry Souls by Gerard J. M. Van Den Aardweg

The list is endless, but I also recommend the Bible along with the Catechism of the Church.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top