J
JRKH
Guest
Jon,Lets be clear. Luther died for no one on a cross. He, like all of us, was in need of a redeemer. It is the redeemer who established the Church.
If we are to hold the Church to the first mark, unity, in an institutional sense, then it is difficult to argue that the Church, in any communion, actually exists. OTOH, if we recognize that we are first united, His Church is first united, by baptism, then we are indeed united, and His Church continues in the Church Militant.
Luther was an Augustinian friar. He was incapable to “establish a church”. Lutherans are members of the OHCAC.
Jon
I bolded the section above because I think you hit a very important point…What DO we use to determine unity.
Institutional unity, while important, is not in my estimation the best measure of Christian unity. Even within the Catholic Church we have “factions”.
However reducing it to something as simple as Baptism makes it pretty much meaningless. Why would Paul have admonished the Corinthians - telling them to throw someone out of the community - if all that was required for unity was baptism?
For the protestant (in the broad usage of the word), the problem really comes down to not being able to truly fulfill what Scripture describes the early Church to be - and what Christ prayed for it to be. The very foundation of the Reformation - the ingrained outlook of many protestants - works against a truly biblical style of unity.
I know that the Lutherans and some others utilize councils and such and I applaud these. There needs to be more of them.
But I also know that there was no council among the reformers - or their immediate successors - to resolve their differences. No church council determined that the biblical canon should be 66 instead of 73 books. No council meets to resolve matters of faith that come up within the communion.
Each group goes it’s own way…and frankly I don’t see that anywhere in the bible.
Setting aside the idea of unity under the bishop of Rome…Just looking a Scripture for the model of what Christ and the Apostles intended the unity to look like…can “Sola Scriptura” protestants really say that they are following the biblical example of unity?
Like I say - I know that Lutherans and some others DO hold councils - but I would feel much more comfortable about Protestantism as a whole if I saw more of this…yet - the very foundation of the reformation works against it…
Peace
James