A
awatkins69
Guest
Kind of interested in both. Let me know if you find anything. I’m just wondering. Thanks.
There is NOTHING wrong with cheese ‘n’ apple pie! Or lemon with fish!!!
If you have ever put ketchup on anything you have no leg to stand on.
huffs, flounces off
![]()
I think the Protestant Reformation had a huge impact on Catholicism,but not in the way your question seems to suggest. IOW, Catholicism did not ingest any of the Protestant Tenets and somehow adapt them to Catholicism. What DID happen though was the Counter-Reformation. A huge outpouring of affirmation in all of the Basic Catholic Doctrines. There were subtle influences as well. Church design began to be influenced by the Protestant Churches. (having pews.) Private reading of Scripture in the vernacular once again became normative for Catholics. But by and large, Catholicism distanced itself from Protestant theology whenever possible. It rarely sought common ground, although by the late 17th century common ground between Catholics and Protestants was often a basis for apologetic writings.I was wondering if, around the time of the Reformation, there were any Catholic protestants? That is, examples of Catholics who tried to remain within the Church but accepted Luther’s or any other Reformation doctrines (sola fide, sola scriptura, etc). How did Luther’s propositions affect theologians inside the Church? Were any influenced by them? Thanks.
PS Other than maybe Erasmus.
I think that if the person were a bit of both, the label might fit. Perhaps some “in the valley of decision” could be called that.I don’t think you can be a “catholic protestant” anymore than you can be an “Atheist who believes in God”.
You make a good point! I have always been taught, and have always believed that we can learn from one another.Well, St. Thomas Aquinas believed that truth is truth, wherever it comes from, and studied the writings of Jews and pagans. It’s possible that Catholic theologians did the same with Protestants, but I don’t know if that was the case. St. Teresa of Avila, one of the most important theologians of the Counter-Reformation, didn’t know what the Protestants taught.
My grandfather would never have apple pie without a slice of cheese!
Erasmus most certainly was not a Catholic protestant. Protestants did not influence Erasmus. Erasmus influenced Protestants, including in ways he certainly did not intend such as splitting from the Church and inventing novel doctrines. Erasmus was already an old man when protestantism began. His last major work condemned Luther’s new ideas (and Luther had not even invented sola fide and sola scriptura yet).I was wondering if, around the time of the Reformation, there were any Catholic protestants? That is, examples of Catholics who tried to remain within the Church but accepted Luther’s or any other Reformation doctrines (sola fide, sola scriptura, etc). How did Luther’s propositions affect theologians inside the Church? Were any influenced by them? Thanks.
PS Other than maybe Erasmus.
LOL; funny post! Now I have a SERIOUS question. Am I a Catholic Protestant because I like Catholics? Or, am I a “heretic” like the poster above seems to say? I don’t think I would be a Catholic Protestant, because of this - would I?There is NOTHING wrong with cheese ‘n’ apple pie! Or lemon with fish!!!
If you have ever put ketchup on anything you have no leg to stand on.
huffs, flounces off
![]()
As opposed to our “light and sunny” days when the leaders of “civilised” nations endorse deliberately killing tens of thousands of innocent civilians with a nuclear bomb, or legalised abortion, euthanasia, promoting sodomy etc.etc.?one who was seen breaking with Church teaching risked losing one’s head at the time. Those were indeed dark days when Medieval men with Medieval mindsets dealt with the world in Medieval ways.
I think his “neutrality” was more along the lines of “a pox on both their houses”.John Hus does come to mind as one who considered himself Catholic - and very much in line with Church teaching - until the time of his trial and execution for being an heresiarch. Though he predated Luther (and indeed had much influence on the German), so that’s not quite what you asked. While Hus opposed the Church on a number of points, he did support the office of the papacy (at least enough to declare neutrality during the papal schism between Gregory XII and Benedict XIII),
I thought his heterodox teachings about the Eucharist were condsidered his most serious crimes.and he was primarily condemned for his emulation of Wycliffe’s teachings, his opposition to Crusades in general, and his opposition to using indulgences to fund Crusades.
“There are many other things which rightly keep me in the bosom of the Catholic Church. The consent of the people and nations keeps me, her authority keeps me, inaugurated by miracles, nourished in hope, enlarged by love, and established by age. The succession of priests keep me, from the very seat of the apostle Peter (to whom the Lord after his resurrection gave charge to feed his sheep) down to the present episcopate [of Pope Siricius]” (Against the Letter of Mani Called “The Foundation” 5 [A.D. 397]).Great quote, pre-1054 when the Catholic Church was ripped in two…I wonder what Augustine would’ve thought and said at that point?
Criticising corruption in the Church is not a protestant idea! From the first century to the 21st, untold millions of faithful orthodox devout Catholics including many bishops and popes, have criticised corruption in the Church and done their best to stamp it out.the Council of Trent took in many of the Reformers criticisms of corruption etc, though not so much theological changes.
Why not ask God?LOL; funny post! Now I have a SERIOUS question. Am I a Catholic Protestant because I like Catholics? Or, am I a “heretic” like the poster above seems to say? I don’t think I would be a Catholic Protestant, because of this - would I?What am I…Can someone tell me?
![]()
I don’ think this is exactly accurate. My understanding is that one has to have been Catholic to be a heretic, according to Catholic teaching. So, according to the CC, Luther, once a Catholic, became a heretic. I, a life-long Lutheran, am not a heretic, since I was never Catholic.Properly speaking anyone who adheres to Reformation theology, according to the Catholic Church, is a heretic.
“There are many other things which rightly keep me in the bosom of the Catholic Church. The consent of the people and nations keeps me, her authority keeps me, inaugurated by miracles, nourished in hope, enlarged by love, and established by age. The succession of priests keep me, from the very seat of the apostle Peter (to whom the Lord after his resurrection gave charge to feed his sheep) down to the present episcopate [of Pope Siricius]” (Against the Letter of Mani Called “The Foundation” 5 [A.D. 397]).
“[On this matter of the Pelagians] two councils have already been sent to the Apostolic See [the bishop of Rome], and from there rescripts too have come. The matter is at an end; would that the error too might be at an end!” (Sermons 131:10 [A.D. 411]).
They’re quotations of things he did say, which at least imply that he would have stood with Rome had he lived at the time of the Great Schism.Is this an attempt to speculate what he would’ve said?![]()
They’re quotations of things he did say, which at least imply that he would have stood with Rome had he lived at the time of the Great Schism.
Usagi
My mom does chili powder and watermelon. Mexican thing. One element of my culture I’m not so fond of, when you go to a party and all the watermelon has been ruined by application of unnecessary amounts of chili powder to the entire bowl of fruit.