Catholic Rainbow Study Bible---opinions please

  • Thread starter Thread starter Scoochy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Scoochy

Guest
This is my very first posting! Hope I get it right.
Searching to purchase a good Catholic study Bible. This has 12 different “colored” highlighted areas, example: Salvation (blue), Family (yellow), God’s words, etc., & can be seen at:

http://www.amazon.com/Catholic-Rain...UTF8&coliid=I1YO4P44XLON1Z&colid=M8U31XTK4AWM

The version is “Todays English Version”, 2nd edition. I would greatly appreciate guidance on this, before I make any purchase. Thank you.

Scoochy
 
Was there any commentary in the Book? I didn’t see any on the pages that Amazon displayed.

You might like the Catholic Answers Study Bible. It gives you tabs that will show you where we find Scriptures that support Catholic Doctrine. For instance, there’s a “Sacrament’s Tab” that you would use on Acts 2:38 where Peter institutes the Sacrament of Baptism at Pentecost. You’ll also find about 40 single page essays that are Apologetics Articles on Catholic traditions (i.e. “Do Catholics worship Mary?”)

The Ignatius Study Bible (2nd Edition) 19.95 for the New Testament only) is also good. It’s got great Catholic Commentary from Scott Hahn and Curtis Mitch. Very sound study Bible. And the commentary is much better than the Catholic Answers (which uses the NAB commentary).

Oh yeah, and as one very astute person 😉 pointed out on Amazon’s Comments page, both bibles I’ve suggested include the Nihil Obostat (?).
 
To: NotWorthy

Thank you.
Yes, I’m having trouble seeing the Nihil Obstat & Imprimatur listings. As a cradle Catholic, raised by a very strict German Catholic father (may God Bless him), I look for those necessities while also wanting a way (the study part) to delve deeper than just the footnotes & comments at the bottom of the page.
Also, I’m looking for colored maps & charts. A glossary would be wonderful.
These additional comments may be more helpful in trying to figure out the “what I want”.
What about that Catholic Rainbow Study Bible?

Thanks to all 🙂
 
I like the “Then and Now” - Bible Maps from Rose Publishing.

amazon.com/Deluxe-Then-Bible-Maps-CD-Rom/dp/1596361638/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1271990206&sr=8-1

I have an older version of this and it’s great. It shows Israel:
a) During the time of Joshua
b) During the time of David
c) During the split up (after Solomon)
d) After the exile.
e) At the time of Jesus
f) Today.

These come with overlays where you can see the progression. There are also great maps of Paul’s journeys and such.
 
Naturally, that’s going to depend upon just what you want. Here are a few thoughts.

The “Todays English Version” is also known as the “Good News Bible” which is published by the American Bible Society (their store is at this page www bibles com) They do have a listing of Catholic bibles, and claim that the Catholic ones have the Imprimatur–something which I don’t doubt, so don’t get me wrong here, but I simply can’t verify that. Generally, if a reputable publisher calls something a “Catholic” bible, and claims that it has the imprimatur, it most likely will. Therefore I wouldn’t be too worried on that account.

However, some internet research has revealed a lot of criticism of the “Todays English Version” translations. It uses a very “modern” language, and is a dynamic translation. At least that’s what my own internet research shows, but that’s not necessarily reliable. Believe me when I tell you that you can’t trust everything you read on the internet!

The other thing to consider though is that the New American Bible is the translation used in the Mass in the United States, especially in the Lectionary. Give some thought to just how important it would be to you to use the same translation for your own study that you will hear at Mass. I’m not saying you should choose the NAB, only that you should make that question part of your process in selecting a study bible.

Another suggestion would be to go to a library and actually flip through the pages, and read the text of that exact same edition. There are some online bibles, but I can’t find any which specify TEV 2nd edition–maybe you can, or someone else can. I can say however that the texts of the TEV (aka Good News) that I have found sound very strange.
 
To: NotWorthy

"Oh yeah, and as one very astute person pointed out on Amazon’s Comments page, both bibles I’ve suggested include the Nihil Obostat (?). "

OK…big-time duh.:rotfl: You got me good with that. No excuse, sir.

I keep forgetting to tell important things. I’ve used only the NAB for over 20 years----please don’t start the calculations. I figured that since the Church used it, I would, too.
I want something beautiful-written, fairly easy to understand (although one might think I need a VERY easy to understand), good footnotes & Catholic explanations at the bottom of some verses (don’t remember, uh-oh, what that’s called), colored maps, charts & whatever else I wrote on my Post #1.

I have read & do appreciate all the comments, as I know that most are pressed for time.

I’m offering up some pretty big-time pain here, so I’m going now. Whew.
 
To: NotWorthy

"Oh yeah, and as one very astute person pointed out on Amazon’s Comments page, both bibles I’ve suggested include the Nihil Obostat (?). "

OK…big-time duh.:rotfl: You got me good with that. No excuse, sir.

I keep forgetting to tell important things. I’ve used only the NAB for over 20 years----please don’t start the calculations. I figured that since the Church used it, I would, too.
I want something beautiful-written, fairly easy to understand (although one might think I need a VERY easy to understand), good footnotes & Catholic explanations at the bottom of some verses (don’t remember, uh-oh, what that’s called), colored maps, charts & whatever else I wrote on my Post #1.

I have read & do appreciate all the comments, as I know that most are pressed for time.

I’m offering up some pretty big-time pain here, so I’m going now. Whew.
God Bless you, Scoochy! I was wondering if my humor was too subtle! 😉

I think your best best is the Ignatius 2nd Edition Study Bible and then buy a good map book. Of course, you can always shell out like $400 for the complete Navarre series! I can say that its well worth it, but it is quite pricey.
 
To: NotWorthy

“God Bless you, Scoochy! I was wondering if my humor was too subtle!”

Believe me…it could & does happen all the time. How embarrassing is that?!
You know, there was a great movie entitled “Mrs. Brown”. For those (not you) who may not be familiar with it, it concerns Her Majesty the Queen Victoria who has a close friendship with a Scot, John Brown, after HRH the Prince Albert passed. Anyway, the Queen’s character said, as she spoke to the Archbishop of Canterbury, that the Prince Albert was always trying to get her to think more subtly. Now, you may find this difficult to believe (unh-hunh, right), but I didn’t GET that either! Not until sometime later, and one may wonder if I even get it now.:nope:
I was raised very, very black & white. I told you of my German-Catholic Dad (surely a Saint). Black & white leaves no room for subtleties. I mean, I remember when Pope John XXIII passed. Boy, was I confused bigtime. It really didn’t compute for such a long time. I mean, he was the Pope. At that age I didn’t know that Popes could die. I knew that regular people died, because the Nuns were always dragging us over for the funerals.
My Father wasn’t subtle; he was the most wonderful person I’ve ever personally known.

OK, now it’s your turn to make fun of me. Really, it’s OK. Much of the time I tell people how silly I am; and you see…it’s true 😉
 
Naturally, that’s going to depend upon just what you want. Here are a few thoughts.

The “Todays English Version” is also known as the “Good News Bible” which is published by the American Bible Society (their store is at this page www bibles com) They do have a listing of Catholic bibles, and claim that the Catholic ones have the Imprimatur–something which I don’t doubt, so don’t get me wrong here, but I simply can’t verify that. Generally, if a reputable publisher calls something a “Catholic” bible, and claims that it has the imprimatur, it most likely will. Therefore I wouldn’t be too worried on that account.
I have a TEV. Imprimatur March 10, 1993 Most Rev. Wm H Keeler, D.D. President, National Council of Catholic Bishops.
However, some internet research has revealed a lot of criticism of the “Todays English Version” translations. It uses a very “modern” language, and is a dynamic translation.
There are lots of people who hate any modern translation. As “easy-read” Bibles go, this is a decent one.

Here’s a link to an online copy if you want to get a feel for it.
 
To: NHInsider

Thank you for your (name removed by moderator)ut.

Quote:
However, some internet research has revealed a lot of criticism of the “Todays English Version” translations. It uses a very “modern” language, and is a dynamic translation.

I found this online and really didn’t like it much. Now, I hope I’m not kicked out of the Church for saying this, but I wish there was a CATHOLIC KJV. The language is beautiful, and easy to read.

Crossed the Tiber & lived to tell about it! Goodness! Were there any lifeguards? 🤷
 
If you like the KJV I’m surprised the D-R doesn’t suit you. . . .
 
If you like the KJV I’m surprised the D-R doesn’t suit you. . . .
Bingo!

But I really don’t like all the “thee’s” and “thou’s”. Thinking of Jesus and the Apostles using the Queen’s English is sort of like watching a dubbed Japanese film where the characters have American accents. It just doesn’t work for me!
 
This is my very first posting! Hope I get it right.
Searching to purchase a good Catholic study Bible. This has 12 different “colored” highlighted areas, example: Salvation (blue), Family (yellow), God’s words, etc.,
Scoochy
I actually have a copy of the Rainbow Bible (Catholic Edi.) I am seriously underwhelmed by the translation. The one thing which I found strange is specifically that it uses the TEV translation. The Protestant Rainbow Bible uses the King James Version (so I don’t know why they didn’t pick the Douey-Rhimes). Considering the translations out there, I thought that they picked one of the worst translations to use for the Catholic. They could have picked the Douey, RSV(2CE), NAB. All of these have stronger merits to their translations.

However, there Rainbow Bible does have something of a use (although not as efficiently as it could have been). Sometimes I use my Rainbow if I want to go scripture hunting on a specific topic. The text just serves to tell me what any verse is talking about. Then when I find one I really like, go and look it up in my RSV(2CE) Bible.

sulkow82 SFO
 
Naturally, that’s going to depend upon just what you want. Here are a few thoughts.

They do have a listing of Catholic bibles, and claim that the Catholic ones have the Imprimatur–something which I don’t doubt, so don’t get me wrong here, but I simply can’t verify that. Generally, if a reputable publisher calls something a “Catholic” bible, and claims that it has the imprimatur, it most likely will. Therefore I wouldn’t be too worried on that account.
I DID purchase this bible…so far I like it. Thanks for your insights 🙂
HOWEVER, there are two Imprimaturs & NO Nihil Obstat. Go figure.
 
This
The version is “Todays English Version”, 2nd edition. I would greatly appreciate guidance on this, before I make any purchase. Thank you.

Scoochy
a study bible should be the most accurate possible translation, one with reliable introductions to each book and reliable notes, maps and other aids, or with companion volumes that provide those, including concordance. TEV is not it, being a paraphrase in modern conversational English, not a direct translation, and moreover prepared by non-Catholic translators with their agenda. The “rainbow” style bibles I have seen, moreover define the topics they highlight, and the passages they choose under those topics, according to that non-ecclesial agenda.

for private devotional use for someone who struggles with the English language it could be useful, but not for study. for that the RSV-CE is my first choice, unless you are going to be using it for RCIA or another setting where you want the translation used in liturgy, which would be the revised NAB. Both now have concordances, which are far more helpful, and more exhaustive, than the rainbow style bibles. The rainbow concept disturbs me personally because the editor’s choice on what to highlight in each category implies each verse selected has one and only one interpretation, on one and only one level. If you want an inexpensive bible the International Student Bible NAB from Thomas Nelson is less than $10 in paperback, plasticized cover, acid free paper, and contains a topical index in the back.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top