A
anthonymarie
Guest
This has never happened to me to but it happened to a close friend of mine. He was an atheist, became a Catholic, went full trad, lost his faith and then came back again (he says because he couldn’t stay away). Actually I’ve gone through very painful periods of my faith and wanted to leave but never had the heart to do it.I’m a convert to Catholicism. I believed all of it just like they teach it here at Catholic Answers. I even embraced NFP, Latin Mass, Creationism… all of it… I really became a full blown Traditionalist. I even considered joining SSPX for a while until I decided they were in error.
But now, I think I’ve lost my faith.
This is very recent.
My main reason for posting this thread is to ask: Are there any Catholics out there that have gone from Orthodox Catholicism to Atheist and then BACK to Catholicism again (whether it resulted in orthodox or even heterdox Catholicism, I don’t care so much - I just want to know if anyone has gone BACK and how they brought themselves back there.)
I’m interested in talking to someone who has been through the whole “de-conversion” process and still somehow found a way back. I’m not looking for someone who was nominally Catholic, then something else, and then later in life reverted to the faith.
Back story: As a teenager I de-converted from a cult-like Christian sect. I left that to Atheism. Years later, after reading Lee Strobel’s the Case for Christ, and digging through Christian history, I found Catholicism. I’ve recently de-converted. The process is familiar to me because it’s my second time doing it, so although it’s heart-wrenching and terrifying, I’m not in as bad shape as I was when it first happened to me many years ago. But I still don’t like it. I rather be Christian, especially Catholic. But I also rather believe things because they’re true, not because I like them. I’m very aware of this confirmation bias, so I’m very careful not to embrace something unless I’m convinced of it. Right now I’m not convinced of anything.
I’ve also met a handful of people who went quite trad and then became disillusioned with the faith. I think it is because (I say this very tentatively) traditionalism is often phrased in so negative terms. For example, “look at what we’ve lost” instead of “look at what we’ve somehow managed to retain”. It wears you down after a while.