P
PC_Master
Guest
I’ve read a lot on this forum lately regarding how early church fathers and such referred to the “Catholic Church” or even the “One Holy Apostolic Catholic Church”, or something else similar. Most posters here, as expected equate this to the church of Rome. Of course, they do this based on the idea that they have a true line of apostolic succession which can be traced back to Simon Peter, on whom Christ supposedly built “his church”.
I did some reading, and I have come to a view which will be disagreed with by many. I came to the conclusion that there was, at the beginning of the “church era” (that is, following the death of Jesus), a unified Christian church which, while at odds with the prominent Jewish and pagan beliefs of the day, wasn’t at odds with itself.
Over time, we see that there were numerous splits in this church, resulting in the modern variety of churches that we have. The Roman church, of course, claims that it is the only true apostolic and catholic (that is, universal) church. However, in my research, I see that there are no fewer than dozens of other churches (with over half a dozen major ones) which call themselves catholic and which claim apostolic succession for their current leaders.
In other words, they claim exactly what the Roman Catholic Church does – Jesus established “his church” on Peter, and that their current leader is the successor of Peter, and that their church extends back to Bible times, and thus is the “one true church”.
My question then, is how Roman Catholics can defend against these? They believe themselves to be catholic, and they believe that their leader is the successor of Peter. What else is there that gives the Roman church superiority over the others?
(No dogmatic ranting, or rhetoric, please.)
I did some reading, and I have come to a view which will be disagreed with by many. I came to the conclusion that there was, at the beginning of the “church era” (that is, following the death of Jesus), a unified Christian church which, while at odds with the prominent Jewish and pagan beliefs of the day, wasn’t at odds with itself.
Over time, we see that there were numerous splits in this church, resulting in the modern variety of churches that we have. The Roman church, of course, claims that it is the only true apostolic and catholic (that is, universal) church. However, in my research, I see that there are no fewer than dozens of other churches (with over half a dozen major ones) which call themselves catholic and which claim apostolic succession for their current leaders.
In other words, they claim exactly what the Roman Catholic Church does – Jesus established “his church” on Peter, and that their current leader is the successor of Peter, and that their church extends back to Bible times, and thus is the “one true church”.
My question then, is how Roman Catholics can defend against these? They believe themselves to be catholic, and they believe that their leader is the successor of Peter. What else is there that gives the Roman church superiority over the others?
(No dogmatic ranting, or rhetoric, please.)