T
TallyGirl
Guest
I would like some (name removed by moderator)ut into an important decision my husband and I are trying to make. We are the parents of 4 children, 3 are school age. My 2 oldest have been in the public school system. They both make excellent grades. In the past 3 years we have committed ourselves to weekly mass attendance. Before this point we did not attend mass for almost 7 years (long story…) We have one daughter in a private (non Catholic) preschool. Next year she will be in Kindergarten. My oldest 2 will be in 6th and 4th grades next year. My husband and I can now clearly see the disconnect with our oldest 2 in regards to faith and real life. They have swallowed the humanist world view and are almost anti religion in their mind set. My eldest son, tells me that he might believe in reincarnation and that all that stuff at church may be made up. I myself remember the questioning period that comes at about his age. My concern is that he has no experience of true Catholicism and is too wrapped up in the liberal worldview of his peers. We recently had him shadow at the local Catholic school. Originally, he was excited but after a week told us that he did not want to leave his current school. Our 8 year old daughter feels that leaving her school would be the end of her life. Oh course, these decisions do not rest with them. I am concerned about the kids resenting the Catholic school and that complicating their acclimation to it. Our preschool daughter would like to go to Catholic school. My husband and I are struggling with this.
Money is another important factor. It would cost us $1055 a month for the three children to go to Catholic School. We were told today that the school MAY be able to give us a 10% discount. And that we can apply for help with our pastor. My husband is currently unemployed and in school. He will graduate in July. He is projected to earn $35,000/yr when he graduates. I make more working as a nurse. The total cost a year is $10,550 for the Catholic school. My husband went to Catholic school through eighth grade and felt that it was important for him. I went to both Catholic and public school.
I realize that others have posted on this topic. I am just at a crossroads as I need to submit the papers this week if we are to consider Catholic school next year. Any comments would be appreciated.
Money is another important factor. It would cost us $1055 a month for the three children to go to Catholic School. We were told today that the school MAY be able to give us a 10% discount. And that we can apply for help with our pastor. My husband is currently unemployed and in school. He will graduate in July. He is projected to earn $35,000/yr when he graduates. I make more working as a nurse. The total cost a year is $10,550 for the Catholic school. My husband went to Catholic school through eighth grade and felt that it was important for him. I went to both Catholic and public school.
I realize that others have posted on this topic. I am just at a crossroads as I need to submit the papers this week if we are to consider Catholic school next year. Any comments would be appreciated.