As Catholics we have an excellent guide for determining mortal and venial sin.
We also are culpable for many more sins than the average Christian since we also have the laws of the Church to follow.
My question stems from the fact that we Catholics can commit a varitable number of sins that non Catholics cannot (ie: eating meat on prescribed abstenance days; missing Mass on Sunday).
When does a ‘former’, non practicing Catholic become less culpable for these ‘Catholic’ sins?
Some of my adult children have been away from the church for 20 years or so. I believe they are no longer guilty of missing Mass etc.
What are your thoughts?
Thank you.
As a Catholic who left the Church when I was young…and have now returned by the Grace of God-after being away for well over 35 year…I feel I need to try advise you.
First, pray for your children, do not “henpeck” them. Just pray and commit this to Our Lord and Our Lady.
Second, when they left the Lord, there the mortal sin lies…for the definition of Mortal sin is that it SEPARATES US FROM GOD. They may verbally say that they are doing well and don’t miss the church or that they don’t believe, etc. … but God and Our Lady will continue to work on them… pray.
Third, with most of us who have left, it will take a crumbling of our world to bring us back. So, don’t help them be successful in their sinful ways…but remember not to preach. Remember to tell them how much you love them always…and never turn them away from your love.
The process for me was that I first felt the inclination to return, it was the BVM who called me back, I am sure. Then once I started attending Mass regularly, I felt the need to pray more…and to ask for forgiveness…then the Holy Spirit descended and instructed me on my sins and that I needed to confess. When I finally gave in to go to confession (I hated to do that)…came reconciliation. With confession came salvation…and then the peace of the Lord. That is when you once again can feel His undying love. That is when you know that the mortal sin(s) has been erased from your soul.
My parents are deceased and can only see my return to the church from their heavenly place in His Kingdom…but alas…their prayers have worked.
Have faith that your prayers will work too and forget about trying to analyze their sins - after all, only God can do that, for it is He that is offended. It only takes one Mortal sin to remove someone from the presence of our Lord and his Kingdom should they die outside of the state of Grace. It only takes one prayer to the Lord, in sincere repentence, to be brought back into His loving arms. Our Lord is merciful.
Also, check out this website:
www.catholicscomehome.org they have a lot of resources to help you
Bless you.