Catholic Social Services Ranked Third Largest

• Thread starter Thread starter JMJ_Pinoy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JMJ_Pinoy

Catholic Social Services Ranked Third Largest

**The Catholic Charities network – in which Catholic Social Services of the Diocese of Scranton is a part – has been ranked third among the nation’s nonprofits, according to the NonProfit Times.

**The Catholic Charities network moved up one spot from No. 4 last year.

To be included in the rankings, a nonprofit must raise at least 10 percent of its total revenue from public sources, such as individual donors and foundations.

Catholic charities agencies nationwide provide a myriad of vital services in their communities, ranging from day care and counseling to food and housing.

Locally, Catholic Social Services of the Diocese of Scranton served 37,925 people in 2003 throughout the 11-county diocesan area, with the bulk of the services being provided in Luzerne, Lackawanna, Wyoming, Pike, Monroe and Lycoming counties.

Those in need or at risk receive support from such services as foster care, pregnancy services, adoption, substance and alcohol abuse services, temporary shelter services, material assistance, and runaway services.

The 2003 combined revenue of the Catholic Charities network was $2,858,623,665. Nearly 90 percent of the funds were spent on programs and services, making Catholic Charities one of the nation’s most efficient charities. The network’s expenses for 2003 were $2,861,694,876.

In Northeastern Pennsylvania, Catholic Social Services of the Dioceses of Scranton spent $10.6 million in 2003 with support received from the following sources: 66 percent government; 14 percent foundations and fundraising; 10 percent from the United Way; and 10 percent from client fees.

The Catholic Charities network also moved closer to the top 10 in The Chronicle of Philanthropy’s annual “Philanthropy 400.” The network moved up two slots from 13th in 2002 to the 11th position in 2004.

The Chronicle bases its rankings on the amount of private support received by nonprofits. Unlike the Nonprofit Times ranking, the Chronicle’s rankings do not take into account government funding or program fees.

zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=13627517&BRD=2185&PAG=461&dept_id=416046&rfi=6

Well that settles it, I was wondering whether to donate or not. I get pretty suspicious of operational costs, but if they can pass on 90% that’s pretty good.

40.png
caroljm36:
Well that settles it, I was wondering whether to donate or not. I get pretty suspicious of operational costs, but if they can pass on 90% that’s pretty good.
Fantastic! I agree. Timely message. 👍

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back