Catholic Street Evangelization? Are you serious?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Catholic_Dude
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
What’s wrong with Catholics going door to door to tell people about Jesus? I think that is what Catholics should ALWAYS do–spread the word to everyone–those that don’t want to hear it will not die by hearing it.

If you try to evangelize everyone then chances are the greatest number of Everyone will be converted. There will be fewer who will wind up going to Hell and fewer of those who are evangelizing will go to Hell!

Tell everyone about Jesus so THEY won’t go to Hell and so YOU won’t go to Hell for not telling them about Him.

Jesus said if we confess Him before men then He will confess us before His heavenly Father.

Case Closed!
 
Now this I can certainly believe and that’s why I’m getting into this. Is it over zealous ignorant Protestants or is it a Church backed organization that sends people from North America to South America with the mission of converting Catholics.

This is what it sounded like the person I was responding to was saying, so I wanted it to be clear.
Oh, man, I totally left out that important point!!! :o Yes, they were Protestants going down there, and that was in the Bible of the US.

But wouldn’t it be great if we had Catholics going to Latin America and evangelizing? The percentage of Catholics there is going down; it’s really sad. And in the States, too, among the immigrants the Protestants evangelize heavily.
 
Why do Catholics focus so much more on non-Catholic Christians than Muslims Or Atheists? I find Evangelicals really want the lost to come to Christ more than anything.
LOL! Right, it’s us Catholics poaching all those poor, innocent evangelicals…
 
Seems like a waste of good people willing to travel in order to preach Christ.

Could you let me know what North American Church’s are taking part in this and advocating it? I know that most Evangelicals go to other countries to help the poor.

I’ve never heard my Church, my friends or anyone being told that they are to go to other countries to convert Catholics. We have programs for the Middle East, Africa and places where hope is low.
You insult our intelligence with your feigned ignorance here. Protestants use transparently coded language to cover their tracks, but their missionary efforts are almost invariably directed at Catholics–it’s quite transparent. Look at what they do more than what they say, and the picture comes into crystal clear focus.
 
I’ve read that the main threat to the Catholic Church in the Pope’s homeland of Argentina are the Pentecostals. It was not clear whether the problem is the conversion of Catholics to Pentecostalism, or the growth of Pentecostalism among the non-Catholic population, or both. I suspect both. Anyone?
Not both. Pentecostals have been directly targeting Catholics throughout SA for decades. They finally started getting some traction this millennium.
 
This is what I’m saying my friend, the uncertainty could certainly point to it being over zealous Protestants thinking this is right. Our Church specifically sets out to teach those about Jesus who have never heard of Him; that and helping the poor.

I don’t think we’re trying to take Catholics away from Catholicism but it’s certainly possible to happen if the one who is feeding you is also teaching you.
The thing you fail to appreciate is that most Protestants who are involved in missionary work would say that Catholics have never heard of the real Jesus and would consider Catholics ripe for conversion. I can confirm what other posters have said through my own experience with Baptists. Perhaps your denomination is different. I imagine a more mainline denomination might be more in line with the attitude you described.
 
This is what I’m saying my friend, the uncertainty could certainly point to it being over zealous Protestants thinking this is right. Our Church specifically sets out to teach those about Jesus who have never heard of Him; that and helping the poor.

I don’t think we’re trying to take Catholics away from Catholicism but it’s certainly possible to happen if the one who is feeding you is also teaching you.
I’ll let God judge what motivates an organization to give a starving man a loaf of bread. Its interest may be in the man’s soul, his religious affiliation, charity for charity’s sake, his vote in the next election, or something else. The organization may be evangelical, Catholic, Buddhist, humanist, communist, or other designation. It does seem that a reliable and quick way to a starving man’s heart is through his stomach. While I’m not sure the hand that feeds the starving man is the hand of Jesus, I am sure that the starving man who is fed is in some mystical way,Jesus Himself.

Lord, when did we see thee hungry, or thirsty, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister to thee? Then he shall answer them, saying: Amen I say to you, as long as you did it not to one of these least, neither did you do it to me. Matt 25

So, if some Catholics become evangelicals because evangelicals have helped them, I can understand why. And if while being helped, evangelical teaching captures their hearts, I can understand that, as well. It all sounds very “Catholic.” It also makes me wonder, “Where is the Catholic Church? Why isn’t it feeding these people?” This phenomenon should be a wake up call for the Catholic Church, although it does have a wonderful record for assisting the needy. Still, whether by fault or circumstances, it is has not yet risen to St. Paul’s standard of becoming “all things to all men.” 1 Cor 9 There is much work yet to be done, which seems to be a calling to all Catholics to become more involved in the work of the Church. The body of Christ cannot serve to its fullest if one arm refuses to work, and one leg will not move.
 
I should have used these more positive verses in the above post:

Lord, when did we see thee hungry, and fed thee; thirsty, and gave thee drink? and when did we see thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and covered thee? Or when did we see thee sick or in prison, and came to thee? And the king answering, shall say to them: Amen I say to you, as long as you did it to one of these my least brethren, you did it to me. Matt 25
 
You insult our intelligence with your feigned ignorance here. Protestants use transparently coded language to cover their tracks, but their missionary efforts are almost invariably directed at Catholics–it’s quite transparent. Look at what they do more than what they say, and the picture comes into crystal clear focus.
The thing you fail to appreciate is that most Protestants who are involved in missionary work would say that Catholics have never heard of the real Jesus and would consider Catholics ripe for conversion. I can confirm what other posters have said through my own experience with Baptists. Perhaps your denomination is different. I imagine a more mainline denomination might be more in line with the attitude you described.
I don’t know where you guys live but I live in the deep south - Atlanta suburbs.

I have studied scripture with non-Catholics including Evangelical/Non-denominationalist, mainline Protestants and Southern Baptists. My best friend is a Methodist Pastor. I’m dating a member of a non-denominational Church who was raised Baptists and just might marry her. I interface with these people every single day. Very few are out to convert Catholics, and the ones that do target Catholics back down very, very quickly when they find an informed Catholic.

The vast majority of people I meet are really nice and sincerely interested in anything anyone of faith has to say. Evangelicals especially value action above words and respect anyone who demonstrates their faith publicly. They will stand next to you when you stand up for Christ even if they don’t agree with you one hundred percent. Nothing impresses them more than when you say a real nice, sincere prayer at the beginning of a business lunch.

I’m telling you as one who has first hand experience in a state which is only 12% Catholic that you guys are generalizing way, way too much.

-Tim-
 
Not both. Pentecostals have been directly targeting Catholics throughout SA for decades. They finally started getting some traction this millennium.
On second thought, what you say is more likely true, since I would imagine the conversion of non-Catholics in a Catholic country would not pose a serious threat to the Church.

If I were a Pentecostal, and I know many Pentecostals, I would want all the world to be converted to my form of Christianity, believing it to be the truest form of Christian discipleship. Why? Because a Pentecostal sees “true Christianity” as demonstrating the Baptism of the Holy Spirit (in the NT resulting from the laying on of hands by John, Peter, Paul and others which resulted in gifts of the Holy Spirit, such as, speaking in tongues, word of knowledge, working of miracles, prophecy, and other gifts, mentioned in the letters of Paul). They see the Catholic Church at best as a Christian church that has lost the Baptism of the Holy Spirit and the gifts, and at worst, as the great harlot of Babylon depicted in Revelations 17, the apostate church of Christ. So, their activities may be proselytization, but it is done so in an honest attempt to save souls, just as Catholics try to convert people from paganism or other beliefs contrary to Christ.

Catholics strongly rooted in the Holy Eucharist and devotion to Our Lady are not susceptible to the Pentecostal doctrine, but weaker Catholics, not well grounded in their faith, are easy prey. Pentecostals I have known could not understand my Catholicism. They thought I was engaged in idol worship, both from the fact of Catholic statues (graven images) and “idolatry” toward Mary. They believed I had the Holy Spirit, but this was inconsistent with their notion of what Catholic believe. I was a puzzlement to them. Bridges between Catholicism and Pentecostalism need to be built. These separated brethren are so close and yet so far away. They live in really loving fellowship, more demonstrative than Catholics in general, but they have no clue about the depth and riches of God in Catholicism, especially the Holy Eucharist, and Our Lady.

Unfortunately, too, Pentecostals are rejected by many other Christian denominations because of their unconventional views. I know a Baptist family split apart on this very issue. Pentecostals are sometimes included under the broader heading of evangelical, although many evangelicals, I am sure, would not think of them as such. My own opinion is that all Christian denominations need to celebrate more what they have in common than focus on their differences. Arguing at each other and talking past each other is not fruitful. All who love Christ should be friends and on that basis maybe some day they will all come to embrace the fullness of His truth.
 
I don’t know where you guys live but I live in the deep south - Atlanta suburbs.

I have studied scripture with non-Catholics including Evangelical/Non-denominationalist, mainline Protestants and Southern Baptists. My best friend is a Methodist Pastor. I’m dating a member of a non-denominational Church who was raised Baptists and just might marry her. I interface with these people every single day. Very few are out to convert Catholics, and the ones that do target Catholics back down very, very quickly when they find an informed Catholic.

The vast majority of people I meet are really nice and sincerely interested in anything anyone of faith has to say. Evangelicals especially value action above words and respect anyone who demonstrates their faith publicly. They will stand next to you when you stand up for Christ even if they don’t agree with you one hundred percent. Nothing impresses them more than when you say a real nice, sincere prayer at the beginning of a business lunch.

I’m telling you as one who has first hand experience in a state which is only 12% Catholic that you guys are generalizing way, way too much.

-Tim-
Thanks, I appreciate it. It’s strange because when I think “Evangelical” all I picture is my friends and my soon to be wife who have done numerous missions trips. Feeding the poor, helping orphans, building Church’s, wells, schools, preaching Christ, etc.

But apparently we’re quite a stain to Catholics (I know this is not true for 99% of them; just this thread), which I find surprising. Maybe it’s my location, maybe it’s a bad experience.

I love Catholics and I want to spread Christ to others with them.
 
Thanks, I appreciate it. It’s strange because when I think “Evangelical” all I picture is my friends and my soon to be wife who have done numerous missions trips. Feeding the poor, helping orphans, building Church’s, wells, schools, preaching Christ, etc.

But apparently we’re quite a stain to Catholics (I know this is not true for 99% of them; just this thread), which I find surprising. Maybe it’s my location, maybe it’s a bad experience.

I love Catholics and I want to spread Christ to others with them.
Christ said, “[H]e that is not against you, is for you.” We are all on the same team. I have no problem with evangelicals “Feeding the poor, helping orphans, building Church’s, wells, schools, preaching Christ, etc.”

Preaching Christ together with Catholics raises some issues in my mind. Maybe I’m making too much out of it, but I am wondering how that would work.

When a Catholic missionary goes out, he does not preach a generic Christianity. His preaching is intended to lead to instruction and initiation into the Catholic faith. When the candidate is baptized, he is baptized into the Catholic faith, not into “Christianity.” This is not to say that Protestant baptism is invalid, but there is the difference I mentioned. Even if instruction does not precede the person’s baptism, he is still considered baptized into the Catholic faith. Nor would a Catholic missionary offer him a list of Christian denominations that are available for him to join. At least, I don’t think he would.

Do you find any of this problematic?
 
Christ said, “[H]e that is not against you, is for you.” We are all on the same team. I have no problem with evangelicals “Feeding the poor, helping orphans, building Church’s, wells, schools, preaching Christ, etc.”

Preaching Christ together with Catholics raises some issues in my mind. Maybe I’m making too much out of it, but I am wondering how that would work.

When a Catholic missionary goes out, he does not preach a generic Christianity. His preaching is intended to lead to instruction and initiation into the Catholic faith. When the candidate is baptized, he is baptized into the Catholic faith, not into “Christianity.” This is not to say that Protestant baptism is invalid, but there is the difference I mentioned. Even if instruction does not precede the person’s baptism, he is still considered baptized into the Catholic faith. Nor would a Catholic missionary offer him a list of Christian denominations that are available for him to join. At least, I don’t think he would.

Do you find any of this problematic?
No, but I understand why you do.
 
No, but I understand why you do.
Fair enough. It’s good to be able to see from the other’s perspective.

I know when I am delivering food to needy people in the area, I do not care that I am joined by non-Catholics in this mission. I think it is great that we all work together. I use a non-denominational food pantry and references from non-denominational sources for this work.

But then I am going out to deliver food, not evangelize, except by the example that I give as a disciple of Jesus Christ. Of course, I would not hide in any way that I am a Christian or a Catholic, and if asked questions about my faith, would answer as a Catholic. I am sure that the Methodist and the Lutheran would do the same. In this sense, I have no problem with Catholics and other denominations working together.
 
I don’t know where you guys live but I live in the deep south - Atlanta suburbs.

I have studied scripture with non-Catholics including Evangelical/Non-denominationalist, mainline Protestants and Southern Baptists. My best friend is a Methodist Pastor. I’m dating a member of a non-denominational Church who was raised Baptists and just might marry her. I interface with these people every single day. Very few are out to convert Catholics, and the ones that do target Catholics back down very, very quickly when they find an informed Catholic.

The vast majority of people I meet are really nice and sincerely interested in anything anyone of faith has to say. Evangelicals especially value action above words and respect anyone who demonstrates their faith publicly. They will stand next to you when you stand up for Christ even if they don’t agree with you one hundred percent. Nothing impresses them more than when you say a real nice, sincere prayer at the beginning of a business lunch.

I’m telling you as one who has first hand experience in a state which is only 12% Catholic that you guys are generalizing way, way too much.
I suppose that no one in this thread except for you has ever interacted with non-Catholics. I am from South Carolina, which is only 4% Catholic. I know plenty of “nice” Baptists. However, I have met many Baptists who appear to be nice until they find out you disagree with them and aren’t going to drink the Baptist Kool-Aid. They certainly don’t respect Catholics, especially informed Catholics, and even though they might back down to your face when they find they can’t push you around, I know from experience that they still spew out the same virulent falsehoods about Catholicism and will talk trash about you behind your back.

I am not indicting all Protestants or all Baptists. I am only talking about a diverse subset of Baptists from my local personal experience, but it is presumptuous for you to suggest that everyone else is speaking from blind prejudice. Look at your own examples. Methodists and mainline denominations are a totally different beast from Fundamentalists and it is not a meaningful comparison. Even the SBC (which is not very Catholic friendly, by the way) is the “liberal” Baptists group and is ridiculed by many Baptists I have met.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top