Catholic Study Bible

  • Thread starter Thread starter Agent
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Agent

Guest
What is the best Catholic Study Bible? I have been using the NAB and I don’t really like it. . .
 
The best Catholic study bible I’ve found is actually a collection of volumes. It’s the Navarre bible study. For the New Testament there are 12 volumes or you can by a condensed version which is one volume but I believe it has less information in it. They also have several volumes for the Old Testament.

Then, there is the Ignatius Study Bible, which is newly released and only for the New Testament. I think I heard on some thread that the Old Testament will be be ready for release in October. The one that was just released is quite a bargain and contains a ton of information.

Both of these are excellent study bibles. Navarre is expensive and bulky if you get all the volumes, but well worth it if you can afford it. Ignatius is incomplete at present but a great study of the New Testament. Those are my favorites.

I also like the notes in the 1966 Jerusalem Bible, but it is out of print and hard to find at a good price.
 
Navarre
Ignatius
And
Catholic Commentary on Sacred Scripture -4 vols so far.

These three go very well together and do not surplant each other…for they are different.

as for the Navarre…the Expanded New Testament is a new work…it can be in addition…or stand alone…
 
What is the best Catholic Study Bible? I have been using the NAB and I don’t really like it. . .
The best study Bible is the Ignatius Study Bible (unfortunately the only part thus far issued is the New Testament).

The Haydock is wonderful - if you like tiny print, paying $100 and using the very old and cumbersome Douay Rheims translation. I have one myself. I rarely consult it these days.

The Navarre is good, but it is expensive (the NT is $80), and is NOT really a study Bible. It does not focus on the original texts, does not have articles about the Greek or Hebrew words, does not have a concordance or a doctrinal index. I have one. I rarely use it.

I have copies of the individual volumes of the Catholic Scripture Commentary coming out from Healy. They’re good. But it’s a multi-volume series.

Your best bet in terms of scholarship, accessibility, moderninty of translation, overall utility and PRICE is the Ignatius Study Bible New Testament.
 
Navarre

There are various volumes …(there is a 12 vol paper back one can get one at a time…for like $17.95…a 3 vol hardback which is basically the same thing…and yes they run $44.95 each but are well worth it…or the new and different Expanded edition…)

it has wonderful articles one each book…or letter…tons of things from the Church Fathers…Saints …Magisterium of the Church in addition to the scholarship of the Theologians at the Navarre University …in the back there is a subject index which is helpful… and of course lots of commentary! 🙂
 
I actually mis-wrote my post. What is the best Catholic TRANSLATION?
 
I actually mis-wrote my post. What is the best Catholic TRANSLATION?
RSV CE in either of its two forms is best due to being beautiful and more literal…

(the Catechism and the various documents of the Church use the RSV)

but each translation can have its plus’s and minus’s…🙂
 
There are many threads on this topic, and I suggest you search them out because there are many responses with well reasoned arguments about which translation is best. Many people feel Douay Rheims Version is the most accurate, but the language is outdated making it difficult for some to read. I, myself, do not have much difficulty with it. However, of the modern translations, I like RSV-CE the best.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top