Catholic study Bible?

  • Thread starter Thread starter SHoJ
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SHoJ

Guest
I am thinking of taking a non-credit Bible course through a local Catholic university. The first year is spent studying the Old Testament and the second year is spent studying the New Testament. The only Bible I have right now is a NAB, which I’m not all that thrilled with. The school doesn’t say that we have to have any particular Bible, so I’m open to getting a new one.

What Bible would you all recommend for this course? and why?
 
I have a study Bible that has four different translations side-by-side in columns. It’s really heavy but if you are using it at your desk it’s a great resource. Mine has Jerusalem, Revised English, NAB and RSV-CE.

If I had to pick just one, I’d go with the RSV-CE. Though I love the readability of the REV
 
Otherwise, I’d suggest the RSV-CE 2nd edition and a good Catholic Commentary and Concordance.
Wow! The Navarre Bible is definitely out of my price range! I can much more easily afford the RSV-CE. Since you mentioned it, what are some good Catholic commentaries and/or concordances???
 
Hi SHoJ,
I’m not too familiar with the standard concordances used today but may I recommend as a very useful addition to your overall learning: Catholic Dictionary(Revised) by Fr. Peter Stravinkas.
Good luck with your course!
God Bless,
Colmcille.🙂
 
Give serious consideration to the new Ignatious Study Bible New Testament. It is RSV-CE with great commentary, footnotes and explanatory essays. The only drawback is that it is only the New Testament at this time. I understand that they are working on the OT and someday we will be able to have it all.
This price is actually affordable also.
 
I have a study Bible that has four different translations side-by-side in columns. It’s really heavy but if you are using it at your desk it’s a great resource. Mine has Jerusalem, Revised English, NAB and RSV-CE.

If I had to pick just one, I’d go with the RSV-CE. Though I love the readability of the REV
Why CE when an RC one is available - no Douay is the best - twinc
 
Give serious consideration to the new Ignatious Study Bible New Testament. It is RSV-CE with great commentary, footnotes and explanatory essays. The only drawback is that it is only the New Testament at this time. I understand that they are working on the OT and someday we will be able to have it all.
This price is actually affordable also.
The OT is what is studied the first year of the course. Having just the NT wouldn’t really help that first year. And I really don’t want to put off taking the course until they come out with the OT of the Ignatius Study Bible.
 
Why CE when an RC one is available - no Douay is the best - twinc
I agree. The Douay-Rheims Bible is, for me, the best there is. There is a debate on another thread in this forum re the Douay vs. KJV if you wish to see the high regard in which it is held.
God Bless,
Colmcille.🙂
 
I was in a similar boat as you! I’m starting the 2nd year of a non-credit course put on by my diocese.Year 1 - Pentateuch and the Deutoronomistic History (basically Genesis - 2 Kings). Year 2 (this year) - 1/2 of the NT, Year 3 - the balance of the OT, Yr 4 - the balance of the NT.

Each year is 30 weeks.

I have the RSV-2CE and the NAB study bible. In the beginning, I would read the Douay Rheims as well. But with the homework and my life/job, I found it difficult to keep up.

I strongly prefer the RSV-2CE (2nd Catholic edition). However, due to time constraints, I found myself reading the online NAB at the USCCB site : usccb.org/nab/bible/index.shtml. Since I travel a lot for work, it was easier than dragging the heavy Bible around.

We used some of the Collegeville commentaries. I’m lukewarm about these, but the individual books have the Bible Books along with the commentary on the bottom of the pages. If you’re interest in the ones I have for the Books I’ve already studied, let me know - perhaps we can work something out!

FWIW - we started in Exodus and spent 7 weeks on it!

Now, as we ease into the NT, I purchased for the new RSV-2CE study Bible! I’m very excited about that!

Anyway - one thing to keep in mind when learning about the Pentateuch (first 5 books), there’s a theory that originated in the 19th century developed by a German Prot. It now seems to be what’s studied. While acknowledged as a theory, it is presented as THE way to read the Bible. I think it has some merit, but … well, some of it is a stretch.

If you want to chat more about it if you go forward with the class, just PM me.

All the best, Juli
 
I am thinking of taking a non-credit Bible course through a local Catholic university. The first year is spent studying the Old Testament and the second year is spent studying the New Testament. The only Bible I have right now is a NAB, which I’m not all that thrilled with. The school doesn’t say that we have to have any particular Bible, so I’m open to getting a new one.

What Bible would you all recommend for this course? and why?
If you like the Douay-Rheims like I do, there is a DRV with Haydock’s Commentary. That’s the one I use. Excellent!
 
Wow! The Navarre Bible is definitely out of my price range! I can much more easily afford the RSV-CE. Since you mentioned it, what are some good Catholic commentaries and/or concordances???
As for a good Commentary I’d suggest the Jerome Biblical Commentary. I use it and find it very informative. It is a Catholic commentary which is often hard to find amongst all the many Protestant commentaries.

As for a concordance, I can only suggest this one: The Catholic Bible Concordance for the Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition. I do not own this but have heard that it is a good Catholic Concordance. Scott Hahn apparently gives it a thumbs up and I have a lot of respect for Dr. & Mrs. Hahn. 👍
 
If you like the Douay-Rheims like I do, there is a DRV with Haydock’s Commentary. That’s the one I use. Excellent!
I believe the Haydock commentary is online (i.e., FREE!).

The Faith Database cd, through Catholic.com costs about $35 but is invaluable.
 
The problem with the D-R is that there are parts that are translated differently and you will miss some of what the class is discussing if you rely on it completely. I think it has a lot of value (although more difficult to read compared to the newer translations) and both the D-R and the Haydock are online. I consider the newer translations to be more accurate as long as you stay away from the ones written in a more inclusive language, or ones that are not trying to be actual translations. Some of the Bibles out there admit to retelling the ideas in a way that modern people can understand. I think those make sense for people who aren’t reading the Bible in a more scholastic approach. (Perhaps those who may have problems understanding the truer translations of the Bible…)

The OT can take a while to get used to in the sense that the it is written by and aimed at an ancient people with very different ideas. In my class, we started with Exodus before going to Genesis so as to start understanding the different ways of thinking.

The theory I mentioned in my earlier post is that the Pentateuch was edited by different people long after the time period that the books take place. In other words - they were not written by Moses, but pulled together from older source materials and combined in certain books. Once you hear J P D Y you’ll know this is the theoretical approach to which I refer.
 
Do not neglect to get to know people in used-bookstores. They will keep an eye out for works that come in that may interest you. The disadvantage is that you will not get it RIGHT NOW. Moment out to pray, God give me patience. Amen
You might find a bargain that someone brought in for a quick sale. A used-bookstore around a school with a religion department would be a good bet.

Also, I have found a chain called Ollie’s carries books at a significant discount. I recently found the Rainbow Study Bible for $9.95. I have not had a lot of time to devote to it since I got it, and the color selections are a turn-off, as they make it hard for my old eyes to read the text. They also had a Catholic NRSV in a slip cover for $3.99. If you don’t mind carrying a white Bible with a pink marker ribbon. I am cheap enough and old enough that it does not threaten my masculinity.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top