H
HJ3822
Guest
I am aware that Catholics believe that the Bible is inerrant. However, I am not sure what this inerrancy means exactly and how this sort of inerrancy is different from the one that Christian Fundamentalists, who are normally Protestants, have.
While I was on my search for the answer, I discovered on Ebscohost three sources.
Then, the second and third sources suggest that the Roman Catholic Church has its own variant of biblical inerrancy. Is this the same doctrine? Assuming that the Catholic version is the true one, how is the Fundamentalist version different? What is the Catholic view of biblical inerrancy?
(To be honest, I am surprised that Catholics believe that the Bible is inerrant, for I have always thought that Catholics place heavier emphasis on the authority of the pope and the church than the scriptures. I would have thought that Catholics believe that the Bible is infallible, though.)
While I was on my search for the answer, I discovered on Ebscohost three sources.
- DOYLE, R. (2003). Sizing Up Evangelicals. Scientific American, 288(3), 37.
- Gigot, F. (1907). The Bible. In The Catholic Encyclopedia. New York: Robert Appleton Company. Retrieved April 26, 2014 from New Advent: newadvent.org/cathen/02543a.htm
- FORD, J. T. (2013). INFALLIBILITY–TERMINOLOGY, TEXTUAL ANALYSIS, AND THEOLOGICAL INTERPRETATION: A RESPONSE TO MARK POWELL. Theological Studies, 74(1), 119-128.
Then, the second and third sources suggest that the Roman Catholic Church has its own variant of biblical inerrancy. Is this the same doctrine? Assuming that the Catholic version is the true one, how is the Fundamentalist version different? What is the Catholic view of biblical inerrancy?
(To be honest, I am surprised that Catholics believe that the Bible is inerrant, for I have always thought that Catholics place heavier emphasis on the authority of the pope and the church than the scriptures. I would have thought that Catholics believe that the Bible is infallible, though.)