C
Charlotte12
Guest
Hi all,
I am a university student seriously considering a career in academia. I am also in a very serious relationship with a wonderful, Catholic young man
We plan to be married in about two and a half years, after I finish my Bachelorās Degree and he completes his Masterās.
While I would truly love to be a college professor, I am concerned about the feasibility of balancing research and teaching with marriage and motherhood. I will be required to get a doctoral degree, which is four or five additional years of schooling before I can even get a job. We are reluctant to wait more than five years to have our first child, so I will in all likelihood have a very young son or daughter when I embark upon the job search - which, I fear, might make me undesirable to employers.
Even more, I worry that I will not be able to spend much time with my children during their earliest and most formative years.
I am the daughter of a working mother, so I know what it is like to balance a career and a family. I am mostly anxious about balancing both a young career and a young family.
Are any of you ladies employed in acadmia? Is anyone familiar with universities and their policies concerning maternity leave? I would love some (name removed by moderator)ut and advice!
I am a university student seriously considering a career in academia. I am also in a very serious relationship with a wonderful, Catholic young man
While I would truly love to be a college professor, I am concerned about the feasibility of balancing research and teaching with marriage and motherhood. I will be required to get a doctoral degree, which is four or five additional years of schooling before I can even get a job. We are reluctant to wait more than five years to have our first child, so I will in all likelihood have a very young son or daughter when I embark upon the job search - which, I fear, might make me undesirable to employers.
Even more, I worry that I will not be able to spend much time with my children during their earliest and most formative years.
I am the daughter of a working mother, so I know what it is like to balance a career and a family. I am mostly anxious about balancing both a young career and a young family.
Are any of you ladies employed in acadmia? Is anyone familiar with universities and their policies concerning maternity leave? I would love some (name removed by moderator)ut and advice!