T
Tommy999
Guest
Hello everyone,
Can someone briefly explain how Catholicism categorizes different types of sin? For example, I’ve heard the terms “mortal sin” and “venial sin” mentioned by posters on different forums from time to time. I assume mortal sin is more serious than venial sin by virtue of name alone. Are there other types of sin in addition to these and can you provide a few examples of each? That would be much appreciated as I try to grow in my understanding of Catholicism.
I come from a Protestant background in which I don’t remember sins being categorized like it seems they are in Catholicism and I want to gain a better understanding of the terms. Although different punishments exist in secular society for crimes such as murder and rape than for petty theft, and deservedly so, I’ve always believed that any sin separates us from God whether it be big or small. Thanks in advance for your help in better understanding the terminology.
Can someone briefly explain how Catholicism categorizes different types of sin? For example, I’ve heard the terms “mortal sin” and “venial sin” mentioned by posters on different forums from time to time. I assume mortal sin is more serious than venial sin by virtue of name alone. Are there other types of sin in addition to these and can you provide a few examples of each? That would be much appreciated as I try to grow in my understanding of Catholicism.
I come from a Protestant background in which I don’t remember sins being categorized like it seems they are in Catholicism and I want to gain a better understanding of the terms. Although different punishments exist in secular society for crimes such as murder and rape than for petty theft, and deservedly so, I’ve always believed that any sin separates us from God whether it be big or small. Thanks in advance for your help in better understanding the terminology.