R
Revelation13_16
Guest
Ok yes we have a “choice” but it’s entirely pre-determined by default.I don’t think it’s that simple. Moderate, reasonable Calvinists would say that of course humans have a choice–it’s just that being who we are, we will choose sin unless God moves us by His grace to choose otherwise.
Ergo, it’s not our choice as an individual, but as a species. (man)
I don’t think it’s fair to damn a collective without allowing the option for each part that makes up that collective to detach itself from it.
Problem though.I agree that this raises all sorts of problems. But so does Arminianism. Arminianism as commonly taught ignores who God is–it pretends that God can simply know something is happening outside Himself the way you or I would. Given that if God did not sustain each of us every moment we would flicker into nonexistence, I find this a hopelessly inadequate way of speaking.
Calvinists have the view that God holds the whole world in his hand and that everything that happens he wills it to happen.
True but false IMHO.
Look at Genesis, after the fall Roses produced thorns.
I believe Creationism & Evolution are both correct.
Evolution is God’s way of removing his hands from a world he once held in perfection, giving it over to a kind of imperfect ‘self autonomy’.
Thus, all those thorns, worms, spiders, etc that weren’t needed in Eden, now were needed to sustain life on an Earth that God now had a limited prescence on.
But that’s free will, and that’s sin.And then He chose to bring all those other people into existence anyway and sustain them in existence while they were damning themselves by their wicked deeds. Hitler could only slaughter millions of people because God’s breath was sustaining him every instant.
Sin is perverting the good gift God gave us.
I’m trying to reconcile tricky passages in the Bible.But if you reject orthodox Christianity as a whole, why worry about relatively minor, abstruse conflicts like Calvinism vs. Arminianism?
Orthodox Christianity is not perfect, it makes concessions, often choosing ignorance in lieu of choosing heresy.
That’s fine, I understand why they do that, but a council of men saying “we don’t know, but think of the alternative shock horror” doesn’t make something true.
Open Theism could be right, but you still would have been burned at the stake for it throughout history.
But your parents have a beginning and an end, this imperfect superhuman doesn’t.As for a God who makes mistakes–I don’t know why we would call such a being God at all. The world is full of beings, some of them loving, all of whom make mistakes. If there is one more such being who happens to be superhuman and happens to have created our species or our solar system or even the whole darn space-time continuum, then that would be interesting but not shatteringly significant. Such a being, however impressive, would be a “god” (i.e., a superhuman being) but would not be God. I might love or respect such a being, but I wouldn’t worship him/her/it any more than I worship my parents (who after all “created” me in a sense and are worthy of my love and respect for so doing).
And neither of them on their own is sufficient for a God worth believing in. A loving being who makes mistakes and is only one part of a bigger universe (even if only a moral or logical universe) might be a very nice person to hang out with but would not be God. And of course a sovereign being who was not good or loving would simply be an omnipotent demon, and the most virtuous act we could commit would be to defy it). Arminianism is relatively preferable because it maintains more of the paradox–the main problem with Arminians is that they foolishly think they have resolved the paradox.
I can’t see a flaw with Arminianism … yet. (I’ll need to delve deeper)continued