Catholicism vs everything else

  • Thread starter Thread starter Daegus
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Daegus

Guest
Hello everyone,

Today I come to you with a particular inquiry that’s been bugging me for a while now. What is it about Christianity (Catholicism more specifically), that is correct vs every other religion? In particular, what is it about Catholicism that makes it correct in comparison to Judaism and Islam.

The Jews refute the teachings of Christ, refuse to believe that He is God and label Him as a false prophet and the same thing applies to Muslims besides being a false prophet.

I am looking to do a study of my faith, and find out, specifically why I believe in what I do. I haven’t really doubted Catholicism at all but ever since having read Jewish reasoning for why Christianity is false it makes me wonder. Where are some starting points for me to do my research from a scriptural and historical standpoint?

Thank you and God bless. 👋
 
Hello everyone,

Today I come to you with a particular inquiry that’s been bugging me for a while now. What is it about Christianity (Catholicism more specifically), that is correct vs every other religion? In particular, what is it about Catholicism that makes it correct in comparison to Judaism and Islam.

The Jews refute the teachings of Christ, refuse to believe that He is God and label Him as a false prophet and the same thing applies to Muslims besides being a false prophet.

I am looking to do a study of my faith, and find out, specifically why I believe in what I do. I haven’t really doubted Catholicism at all but ever since having read Jewish reasoning for why Christianity is false it makes me wonder. Where are some starting points for me to do my research from a scriptural and historical standpoint?

Thank you and God bless. 👋
Fr. Barron discusses Jesus

Fr. Barron Comments on Protestantism and authority
 
The modern anti missionaries arguments tend to reflect a more modern Jewish reasoning for the reject of Jesus, not necessarily an accurate why for Jews of Jesus’ own time.

Some of the anti missionary arguments I have read display an ignorance of Jewish exegesis in the times of Jesus and even medieval Judaism. I have talked to a few people that converted from Judaism to Catholicism. Hebrewcatholic.org is made of Jewish Catholics. One convert told me that reading the ancient Jewish rabbis and sages would convince a Jew of Christ.

Occasionally I will run across a comment in a Jewish work that sounds very Christian such as Genesis 22.

I have come across a few times comments by Jews saying that the death of a righteous man can atone for sins.

RistoSantala also has a website, though he is not catholic, he is some form of Lutheran, he discusses rabbinical Judaism and Christianity
 
Hello everyone,
Hi.
Today I come to you with a particular inquiry that’s been bugging me for a while now. What is it about Christianity (Catholicism more specifically), that is correct vs every other religion?
The Catholic Church is the Church instituted by Jesus Christ and to which Jesus Christ handed down the Deposit of Faith.
In particular, what is it about Catholicism that makes it correct in comparison to Judaism and Islam.
The ancient Judaism of Moses and David remains true. The Covenant has been fulfilled and is transferred to the Catholic Church.
The Jews refute the teachings of Christ,
They deny them but can’t refute them.
refuse to believe that He is God and label Him as a false prophet
Nothing we can do about that.
and the same thing applies to Muslims besides being a false prophet.
Actually, Muslims think they believe in Jesus and deny the teachings of the Church. Nevertheless, Muslim teachings are completely self contradicting. We can go through them one at a time if you like? Where would you like to begin?
I am looking to do a study of my faith, and find out, specifically why I believe in what I do. I haven’t really doubted Catholicism at all but ever since having read Jewish reasoning for why Christianity is false it makes me wonder. Where are some starting points for me to do my research from a scriptural and historical standpoint?
The Eucharist, the Source and Summit of our faith.

1 Corinthians 11:26
For as often as you shall eat this bread, and drink the chalice, you shall shew the death of the Lord, until he come.

Which will lead you to the Crucifixion. The Eucharist and the Crucifixion are one and the same sacrifice.

Which will lead you to the Resurrection.
1 Corinthians 15:16

[14] And if Christ be not risen again, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain. [15] Yea, and we are found false witnesses of God: because we have given testimony against God, that he hath raised up Christ; whom he hath not raised up, if the dead rise not again.
[16] For if the dead rise not again, neither is Christ risen again. [17] And if Christ be not risen again, your faith is vain, for you are yet in your sins. [18] Then they also that are fallen asleep in Christ, are perished. [19] If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable. [20] But now Christ is risen from the dead, the firstfruits of them that sleep:

And then, just to go full circle, go back to the beginning, to the Annunciation:

Didn’t God die on the Cross?

Here’s what I say:
Jesus is God.
Jesus died on the Cross.
therefore:
God died on the Cross.

If God died on the Cross, then God was born of Mary. Simple as that.

And since we’re on the subject of the Annunciation:
**
God wills that men and angels praise Mary. **
Scripture says that God’s will should be done on earth as it is in heaven. And God wills that the Angels praise Mary:
Luke 1:
26And in the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent from God unto a city of Galilee, named Nazareth, 27To a virgin espoused to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David; and the virgin’s name was Mary. 28And the angel came in unto her, and said, Hail, thou that art highly favoured, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women.

ANGEL GABRIEL
  1. an angel is a messenger of God. That is what the word, angel, means.
  2. this angel, Gabriel, is one of the four angels that stands before the throne of God.
WAS SENT FROM GOD
  1. God sent this angel to Mary.
  2. Since this angel is a messenger of God’s, God sent Him to deliver a message.
  3. Therefore, the angel was not speaking on his own, but was communicating God’s message to Mary.
  4. If we skip down to verse 28, we see that this was a message of praise (i.e. blessed art thou).
  5. Therefore God praised Mary through His Angel.
That is great praise indeed. Do you know of any man whose praise is worth more than God’s? In other words, what do you value more highly, the praise of man or the praise of God?

But, there’s more. God sent the Angel to do His Will. What is His Will. Obviously, God sent the Angel to deliver a message of praise. Therefore it is God’s will that the Angels praise Mary.

And there’s yet more. Because the Holy Spirit inspired a holy woman to exclaim, ""Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the child you will bear! "

Scripture says:
Matthew 6:10
Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.

Thus, God wills that mankind PRAISE Mary. This is confirmed by Mary herself when she says, “From now on all generations will call me blessed.”

So, when do you praise Mary?

I hope that helps.
Thank you and God bless. 👋
Sincerely,

De Maria
 
Hi 👋
The Catholic Church is the Church instituted by Jesus Christ and to which Jesus Christ handed down the Deposit of Faith.
I know that already but that doesn’t really help me much. Protestants will argue that the CC wasn’t the first Church and whatnot and I have no real way to prove that it was. (Or at least I’m not sure how to.)
The ancient Judaism of Moses and David remains true. The Covenant has been fulfilled and is transferred to the Catholic Church.
I believe that. The only issue is proof of it.
They deny them but can’t refute them.
They deny them by saying that Jesus couldn’t have been the Messiah because He didn’t fit the characteristics of the Messiah. This article in particular explains:

simpletoremember.com/articles/a/jewsandjesus/
Nothing we can do about that.
We can however, use their ignorance to our advantage so that we may grow and become more knowledgable of our faith.
Actually, Muslims think they believe in Jesus and deny the teachings of the Church. Nevertheless, Muslim teachings are completely self contradicting. We can go through them one at a time if you like? Where would you like to begin?
Doesn’t really matter where. I’m curious to know what specifically is self contradictory about their faith.
Thank you for that.
 
Hello everyone,

Today I come to you with a particular inquiry that’s been bugging me for a while now. What is it about Christianity (Catholicism more specifically), that is correct vs every other religion? In particular, what is it about Catholicism that makes it correct in comparison to Judaism and Islam.

The Jews refute the teachings of Christ, refuse to believe that He is God and label Him as a false prophet and the same thing applies to Muslims besides being a false prophet.

I am looking to do a study of my faith, and find out, specifically why I believe in what I do. I haven’t really doubted Catholicism at all but ever since having read Jewish reasoning for why Christianity is false it makes me wonder. Where are some starting points for me to do my research from a scriptural and historical standpoint?

Thank you and God bless. 👋
Read Dr. Michael L. Brown’s five volume series Answering Jewish Objections to Jesus. It goes through about every Jewish objection you can think of, and is heavily footnoted with primary sources of Jewish material. It was the impetus behind my recent drive to study the Babylonian Talmud and aramaic Targums. It may seem like a series with niche use, but I have actually learned a lot from it in my discussions with atheists as well. He also has a website, I think it’s realmessiah.org.
 
Hi 👋

I know that already but that doesn’t really help me much. Protestants will argue that the CC wasn’t the first Church and whatnot and I have no real way to prove that it was. (Or at least I’m not sure how to.)
No one can prove anything. All you can do is present the reasons for your faith.

Here’s how I do it.

First, almost everyone agrees that the Catholic Church is the first Church. All other Christian Churches came from it.

Second, Jesus only established one Church.
Matthew 16:18**
And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this ****rock I will build my **church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Ipso facto, the Catholic Church must be the Church which Jesus Christ established.
I believe that. The only issue is proof of it.
The miracles which were prophecied in the Old Testament and fulfilled by Jesus Christ. For instance, ask them who is being described in this verse:
[12] Let us therefore lie in wait for the just, because he is not for our turn, and he is contrary to our doings, and upbraideth us with transgressions of the law, and divulgeth against us the sins of our way of life. [13] He boasteth that he hath the knowledge of God, and calleth himself the son of God. [14] He is become a censurer of our thoughts. [15] He is grievous unto us, even to behold: for his life is not like other men’s, and his ways are very different. [16] We are esteemed by him as triflers, and he abstaineth from our ways as from filthiness, and he preferreth the latter end of the just, and glorieth that he hath God for his father. [17] Let us see then if his words be true, and let us prove what shall happen to him, and we shall know what his end shall be. [18] For if he be the true son of God, he will defend him, and will deliver him from the hands of his enemies. [19] Let us examine him by outrages and tortures, that we may know his meekness and try his patience. [20] Let us condemn him to a most shameful death: for there shall be respect had unto him by his words.

Don’t tell them that its in the Old Testament Book of Wisdom. There are many other such Old Testament prophecies which Christ fulfilled.

scripturecatholic.com/messianic_prophecies.html
They deny them by saying that Jesus couldn’t have been the Messiah because He didn’t fit the characteristics of the Messiah. This article in particular explains:
I don’t have time to go over those right now, but I will in a later post.
We can however, use their ignorance to our advantage so that we may grow and become more knowledgable of our faith.
How?
Doesn’t really matter where. I’m curious to know what specifically is self contradictory about their faith.
Here’s a few apologetical articles to start:
catecheticsonline.com/wiki/index.php?title=Apologetics#Against_Muslim_arguments
Thank you for that.
You’re welcome. I hope that this helps. Don’t hesitate to ask questiions on any of it.

Sincerely,

De Maria
 
**
  1. JESUS DID NOT FULFILL THE MESSIANIC PROPHECIES
**
Yes.
What is the Messiah supposed to accomplish?
Bring faith in God to the Gentiles:
Tobias 14:8
And the Gentiles shall leave their idols, and shall come into Jerusalem, and shall dwell in it.

This is fulfilled in the Catholic Church.
The Bible says that he will: A. Build the Third Temple (Ezekiel 37:26-28).
His Body is the Temple:
John 2:19
Jesus answered, and said to them: Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.

The Church is His Body:
Matthew 16:18
And I say to thee: That thou art Peter; and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Colossians 1:18
And he is the head of the body, the church, who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he may hold the primacy:
B. Gather all Jews back to the Land of Israel (Isaiah 43:5-6).
Isaias 43:5-6
[5] Fear not, for I am with thee: I will. bring thy seed from the east, and gather thee from the west. [6] I will say to the north: Give up: and to the south: Keep not back: bring my sons from afar, and my daughters from the ends of the earth.

I don’t see where that says, “all” Jews. Understanding then, tnat not ALL Jews will be brought into the Church, this verse has been fulfilled in the Catholic Church. Jews from every nation came to the Catholic Church. This can be substantiated even in the New Testament Scriptures and from history.
C. Usher in an era of world peace, and end all hatred, oppression, suffering and disease. As it says: “Nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall man learn war anymore.” (Isaiah 2:4)
Working on it.
D. Spread universal knowledge of the God of Israel, which will unite humanity as one. As it says: “God will be King over all the world—on that day, God will be One and His Name will be One” (Zechariah 14:9).
Working on it.
The historical fact is that Jesus fulfilled none of these messianic prophecies.
Christians counter that Jesus will fulfill these in the Second Coming, but Jewish sources show that the Messiah will fulfill the prophecies outright, and no concept of a second coming exists.
By Jewish sources they mean the Old Testament. However, Jesus connected the Old Testament to the New when He said:
Luke 21:27
And then they shall see the Son of man coming in a cloud, with great power and majesty.

This is confirmed in the book of Apocalypse:
Apocalypse 14:14
And I saw, and behold a white cloud; and upon the cloud one sitting like to the Son of man, having on his head a crown of gold, and in his hand a sharp sickle.

The Old Testament says:
Daniel 7:13
I beheld therefore in the vision of the night, and lo, one like the son of man came with the clouds of heaven, and he came even to the Ancient of days: and they presented him before him.

Now, if you take into account that Jesus fulfilled all the Sorrowing Servant prophecies of the Messiah. And Himself prophecied that He would come back as the Son of Man sitting on a cloud and wielding the power of God, then it is hard to understand why Jews won’t accept that there will be a Second Coming of the Messiah.

Do you need any further help?

Sincerely,

De Maria
 
No one can prove anything? Today, Catholics around the world are waiting for two miracles to be attributed to Pope John Paul II. The Church tells us that Mary has appeared in history, sent by God to deliver messages to the world.

Miracles still happen today.

catholic.com/library/Do_Miracles_Still_Occur.asp

God knows the depth of our unbelief. He knows that our faith sometimes hangs by a thread. And He knows how we can be deceived. Look at the Old Testament. God is often found telling His prophets to tell His people to straighten up. To stop worshipping idols. What did Jesus say to those who had stoned the prophets? This is the same God of the Old Testament. The same God who allowed divorce through Moses because of the hardness of their hearts but who now, in the flesh, gave them a new commandment about divorce.

Today, men believe that some new knowledge makes the Christian God a legend or just a story told by primitive peoples. This same God still lives today.

Peace,
Ed
 
Hello everyone,

Today I come to you with a particular inquiry that’s been bugging me for a while now. What is it about Christianity (Catholicism more specifically), that is correct vs every other religion? In particular, what is it about Catholicism that makes it correct in comparison to Judaism and Islam.

The Jews refute the teachings of Christ, refuse to believe that He is God and label Him as a false prophet and the same thing applies to Muslims besides being a false prophet.

I am looking to do a study of my faith, and find out, specifically why I believe in what I do. I haven’t really doubted Catholicism at all but ever since having read Jewish reasoning for why Christianity is false it makes me wonder. Where are some starting points for me to do my research from a scriptural and historical standpoint?

Thank you and God bless. 👋
For one thing Jesus simply spelled things out in most definitive terms. For instance, where there was a controversy among Jewish factions as to whether or not there’s an afterlife, Jesus not only declared there was but went on to prove it by the resurrection. The New Covenant is also different. Where the Old Covenant was a covenant of laws-requiring one’s personal obedience, the New Covenant is a covenant of grace, where one admits to their inability to obey, without Gods help, that is. It’s where we acknowledge that we’re lost and in need of being found-where we first of all recognize our need for Him and have the separation between us, which occurred at the fall, reconciled. This is the purpose of the Atonement, Jesus’ sacrifice on the cross. The Law was unable to justify by mere obedience to it even if this were possible. While it could, perhaps, make one appear holy, it was incapable of healing the huge rift between God and man created by sin- between who we are vs. who He intends us to be.
 
No one can prove anything?
That is correct. The Jews who saw Jesus resurrected did not convert. As Jesus said:
Luke 16
31And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.
 
Read Dr. Michael L. Brown’s five volume series Answering Jewish Objections to Jesus. It goes through about every Jewish objection you can think of, and is heavily footnoted with primary sources of Jewish material. It was the impetus behind my recent drive to study the Babylonian Talmud and aramaic Targums. It may seem like a series with niche use, but I have actually learned a lot from it in my discussions with atheists as well. He also has a website, I think it’s realmessiah.org.
👍 I read all 5 volumes. As a Jewish believer, it was a “page turner”. While Dr. Brown approaches faith from an evangelical perspective, this work on answering jewish objections to Jesus is spectacular. It’s scholarly and provides tremendous insight into the historical understanding of the Hebrew scriptures as reflected in the Talmud and other Jewish writings, as well as modern rabbinic judaism today.

In terms of the OP - this is something you should pray about as well as study.

Blessings,

Brian
 
Many have sought to get to know Truth, Reality, Existence, in some form or other. Moses knew the Voice of Reality as a friend. Mohammed and others knew Reality enough to be a prophet. Only Jesus knew existence the way an only and most beloved son knows his father.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top