Catholics against coca cola?

• Thread starter Thread starter looking4truth
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

looking4truth

The following quote is from the Newsletter of Salford Diocese Faith and Justice Commission, found here
salforddiocese.org.uk/fj/newsletter/index.html
Issue 60
salforddiocese.org.uk/fj/harambee/Issue60.pdf
states on page 6.

“Paramilitary death squads, acting under orders from Coca Cola management, have assassinated 8 trade union leaders in their workplaces.”

Have you heard about this? Do you believe the allegations? Does proof of these allegations exist? (I can’t seem to find any)

40.png
looking4truth:
The following quote is from the Newsletter of Salford Diocese Faith and Justice Commission, found here
salforddiocese.org.uk/fj/newsletter/index.html
Issue 60
salforddiocese.org.uk/fj/harambee/Issue60.pdf
states on page 6.

“Paramilitary death squads, acting under orders from Coca Cola management, have assassinated 8 trade union leaders in their workplaces.”

Have you heard about this? Do you believe the allegations? Does proof of these allegations exist? (I can’t seem to find any)
never heard of the site

40.png
gilliam:
never heard of the site
Well unless you’re in the UK why would you have?
But do you have anything to contribute, or are you just dismissing the claims?

40.png
looking4truth:
Well unless you’re in the UK why would you have?
But do you have anything to contribute, or are you just dismissing the claims?
Accusations centre on the murder of Carepa plant in Antioquia where 5 union members were assassinated between 1994 and 1996. countercurrents.org/glo-higginbottom250703.htm

Seems to be allagations against the Columbia subsidiary of Coka-Cola. The article said a US judge looking at the case said the Columbia subsidiary needs to answer the charges (I guess in a Columbia court).

SINALTRAINAL and its supporters have called for a year long boycott of all Coca Cola products until a number of demands have been met. The boycott started in July 2003, so I guess it is over now.

Sure looks like old news.

Doesn’t look like the local unions supported it.

Workers say no to Coca Cola boycott

24 November 2003

siptu.ie/news/article.php?id=1044

Workers in the Coca Cola bottling plant in Dublin, are not supporting the call for a boycott of Irish produced Coca Cola.

We respect the interest in human rights and injustice around the world. Trade union and human rights in Colombia have to be strengthened and protected. We know that over 4,000 trade unionists have been assassinated there in the past decade and that Columbia has the worst human rights record in the world.

Our Union, SIPTU has consistently expressed solidarity with the workers of Colombia and will continue to do so. However, we do not believe a boycott of Coca Cola products is the most effective way of expressing this concern at the present time.

40.png
gilliam:
Sure looks like old news.
Maybe so, but the issue of Harambee is current.
My main concern was that a Diocese would allow one of its publications to contain such a claim, and an apparently false one at that.

Assassins taking orders from Coca Cola management? :rotfl: Good thing I drink Pepsi! 😃

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back