C
Church_Militant
Guest
Gosh, now I wish I remembered my high school German better.Good evening dear fellow Catholics!
I am new here, joined the Forum just yesterday and find this thread a fantastic place to start. Reading Scripture is such a wonderful thing to do, though sadly I’ve missed it out rather often lately. Gladly, the facebook group “Catholic Church” offers daily Mass Readings, so even when I do not have enough time to study thoroughly I can at least enjoy the day’s Readings.
Because I’m German I do not own any English translations (purchasing a Douay-Rheims is a bit of a struggle over here).
Currently, I have two versions of the Einheitsübersetzung (Unity Translation), one being the catechumen’s edition, the other is the 2006 re-edit with an artistically painted hard cover that my parish priest presented me after Confirmation.The Unity Translation is the only translation officially approved by the Catholic Church in the German language area. Its language is very solemn, comparable to Martin Luther’s in poetic quality, albeit a bit more in line with common German.
Another translation I have on my shelf is the Gute Nachricht (Good News). My edition is rather large physically and contains some works by German painter Joerg Immendorff. Very beautifully done. The language is very close to everday German, so it is very easy to understand, but not exactly solemn and not suitable for studying. Personally, I do not like the Gute Nachricht because the language is in no way close to how I pray or talk about God.
Then, I own three Luther translations, all of them rather old, from around 1900 or so to the 1930s, which means that they are printed in the Fraktur font (vacationers to Germany may know it from a couple of breweries, restaurants etc.). The Fraktur together with Luther’s phenomenal way of using the language make it a very enjoyable read. Sadly, it isn’t as accurate as the Unity Translation (directly from the original texts) because he only had Greek and Latin texts at his disposal.
I hope I can get hold of a Douay-Rheims to be able to participate in discussing quotes with the community here.
Have a great week and God bless!
That’s great info MA and thanks for joining in.
I completely agree with you about the Good News Bible because it really is designed for the lowest levels of readers. I have one copy of the English version and it’s got great line drawings illustrating the text but I just hardly every use it.
Here’s a link that will take you to an online Douay-Rheims Bible, and then there is also VeritasBible.com. As for getting a copy, Amazon.com will no doubt have them as doesTAN Books so try them. I understand that Baronius Press also has some nice ones you might look into. I hope that helps.