Catholics and the France euro vote

• Thread starter Thread starter new_man
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

new_man

Just interested in your views on this. France votes soon on the Euro Constitution. The Church has to my limited knowledge always supported the European Project as a way of bringing peace to the Continent. However the witch hunt against Rocco Buttiglione reveals a profoundly anti catholic illiberalism at the heart of the Euro Parliament which is packed with former communists and the de facto position is that professing catholics will not be allowed in some important positions.

Given this should catholics continue to support “closer and closer union”?

I’m French and I’ll vote “yes” for the Euro Constitution. I’ts right the Church has always supported the European Project. The founders of the European Project were Christian. In my family, we are deeply Christian, European and Atlantist (for a close relationship betwenn Europe and America) but we are a minority now.

There are 448 Articles in the EU Constitution. Will most voters have read them? Is it even possible to know what the effects of adopting the Constitution will be?

I posted this yesterday in another thread, asking whether people would vote for the EU. There dogged insistence that the Christian heritage of Europe not be mentioned in the document would give me pause.

americanthinker.com/arti…article_id=4453
Excerpt:"
Europe’s elites are so in love with their own brilliant ideas that they are deaf to dissent. People with common sense are muzzled or ignored. Based on EU decisions, Britain has quietly given up its traditional liberties, like free speech and the right of habeas corpus. Soon it will surrender control over its borders and the powers of Parliament. There is no effective opposition.

All of a sudden, Europe’s ruling class has gone into panic mode. New polls are finally showing that the people of France may not be fond of the contemptuous way they have been treated for the last thirty years. More than half of the French say they will cast their ballots against the EU Constitution. The grossly overstuffed Constitution, the size of a telephone book, is calculated to lock the EU rulers into permanent power, with none of the fuss and bother of elections."

The article makes many fine points. I urge you to read it. I’d be interested in opposing viewpoints, particularly from Europeans.

I voted no in the referendum in Spain, I am very tired of the european bureaucracy and the refusal of the christian roots in Europe, Spain loses power in the european constitution and in addition my president Zapatero, I didn´t vote him, thanks to God, it´s a shame for Spain and spanish.

Franze:) , it’s right the refusal of the christian roots is a disappointement. But I’ll vote “yes” in the referendum. Today, for polls in France it’s fifty/fifty. Wait and see…

40.png
maryvillette:
Franze:) , it’s right the refusal of the christian roots is a disappointement. But I’ll vote “yes” in the referendum. Today, for polls in France it’s fifty/fifty. Wait and see…
Can you tell me reasons, for voting yes, please

The Counter-Enlightenment theorist and Catholic Apologist Joseph de Maistre didn’t think constitutions were worth the paper they were written on:

*IX. The more we examine the influence of human agency in the formation of political constitutions, the greater will be our conviction that it enters there only in a manner infinitely subordinate, or as a simple instrument; and I do not believe there remains the least doubt of the incontestable truth of the following propositions: -
  1. That the fundamental principles of political constitutions exist before all written law.
  2. That a constitutional law is, and can only be, the development or sanction of an unwritten pre-existing right.
  3. That which is most essential, most intrinsically constitutional, and truly fundamental, is never written, and could not be, without endangering the state.
  4. That the weakness and fragility of a constitution are actually in direct proportion to the multiplicity of written constitutional articles . . .*
ESSAY ON
THE GENERATIVE PRINCIPLE of POLITICAL CONSTITUTIONS

From the little I’ve seen of the 448 articles in the EU constitution, it seems to dwell more on vague obligations than rights (all children have a right to. . . all citizens have a right to…etc).

What Europeans are doing should they pass this constitution is binding themselves and those yet not born, taking away away the right to determine their own affairs, chaining themselves and their heirs to endless subjective obligations and imperatives rather than protecting their inalienable rights as free men and women made in the image of God.

While I dislike armchair prophetics, I can’t help but wonder: When was last time an attempt at a unified Europe didn’t result in widespread horror and bloodshed?

– Mark L. Chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back