T
tdgesq
Guest
This is the best answer I have seen as to how a Catholic might define what sola scriptura means. The Bible is the standard to which the Church always looks. It’s just that Catholics are always wary of using the term “sola scriptura,” because it is laden with misunderstanding that came out of the Reformation.BTW. Catholics agree with Protestants on the Material Sufficiency of Scripture - that is, that all of God’s revelation is contained explicitly or implicitly within the Bible.
I am glad for this post, because it made me think of something that I hadn’t realized before. I’m sure that this is not new insight, but new for me anyway. The Protestant understanding of sola scriptura wasn’t the reason for the Reformation. It couldn’t be, because historically it wasn’t a doctrine accepted by the Christian faithful until the 16th century. It was instead a means to an end.
There isn’t anyway to declare that specific Church teachings are in error unless there is a teaching authority over and above that of the Church, short of a clear and unmistakable logical contradiction perhaps. That means that to dispute the teachings of the Church, a different and greater teaching authority must be posited. And for the Reformers (at least so they claim), that was the individual Christian. Now every Christian can become their own teaching authority and judge the Church, accepting those doctrines they believe make sense and rejecting those that they don’t believe make sense. In the end, the Protestant notion of sola scriptura comes down to the means to reject teachings of the Church they don’t agree with. The end goal is to be able to reject particular Church teachings, whether it be the role of works in salvation, asking for intercession of the saints, or whatever.
What would happen if Protestants made a minimal effort to try and work for a little while under the Catholic understanding of sola scriptura - to try and see how the completeness of revelation in the Bible is consistent with Catholic teaching with respect to that revelation? Unfortunately, I don’t think it will happen. Why? Because the goal, at least originally, of the Protestant notion of sola scriptura is precisely to avoid this. To avoid accepting those difficult teachings that the individual Christian really opposes. I know there is more to it than this, especially when you consider the abuses by some of the Catholic clergy during those times. Still a valid way of looking at things I think.