J
jemfinch
Guest
I’m having trouble coming up with specific examples of Catholics being persecuted by Protestants during the Reformation. Anyone have any examples?
Thanks,
Jeremy
Thanks,
Jeremy
One example that immediately comes to mind is St. Thomas More, martyr in England. There are countless others, as well as laws against Catholics in Protestant countries, including the U.S., but that’s the one that pops into my head.I’m having trouble coming up with specific examples of Catholics being persecuted by Protestants during the Reformation. Anyone have any examples?
Thanks,
Jeremy
Does the Thirty Years’ War (between Catholics and Protestants in Germany) count? It might be a little later than the Reformation.One example that immediately comes to mind is St. Thomas More, martyr in England. There are countless others, as well as laws against Catholics in Protestant countries, including the U.S., but that’s the one that pops into my head.
Peace and God bless!
Although I’m sure there is some historical documentation, I can’t lay my hands on it at the moment. However, what I have read is that the notion of “haunted houses” arose from the “ghosts” of priests who were captured and killed in houses where they had been hiding.I’m having trouble coming up with specific examples of Catholics being persecuted by Protestants during the Reformation. Anyone have any examples?
Thanks,
Jeremy
I’d like to hear the specific evidence for this. I have not heard of such incidents, though there were certainly cases of sacrilege and violence (deplored by Luther, though of course his rhetoric was a contributing factor). But “massacres”? Not that I’ve heard of.Well, after watching the movie Luther, I found out that many of Luther’s followers massacred Catholics.
These are sweeping allegations with no specifics. I do not know of any Catholic executed for religious reasons on the Continent (I don’t remember the details of the Dutch Carmelites, but I think that was a massacre). Of course the Mass was abolished wherever Protestants could manage it. But actual killing (of Catholics) was quite rare on the Protestant side except in England.next move to Scotland, Netherlands, Switzerland, parts of Germany, anywhere the Covenant Reformed religion took hold (Calvinist, Presbyterian, Covenanters, Dutch Reformed etc.) for brutal treatment of Catholics, forced conversion, alienation of property, denial of civil rights, persecution and death.
The peasants were not killed for being Catholic, and most of them would have identified themselves with the Reformation. Intra-Protestant persecution (mostly of “radicals” by the “Magisterial” Protestants) is a completely different matter. Also, since the peasants were engaged in an armed uprising, their repression (horrible as it was) isn’t exactly a religious persecution, just because they were inspired by religious (not Catholic!) ideas.Next treat the history of Germany–which was not a unified nationalist state at the time of the Lutheran reformation, but a collection of duchies and other minor principalities, the ruler of which decided the religion of its subjects, and imposed his will with all the brutality including capital punishment of the State. The history of the peasant’s revolt is a good case in point, and Luther’s savage calls for reprisals on them, many of whom rose up in defense of their religion, will shed light on the matter.
Margaret Clitheroe. Her house in York is now a shrine. It is in a very old street known as the Shambles.There are of course a lot more, including one woman who was pressed to death (i.e., squashed by heavy weights) for harboring priests (and presumably refusing to plead either innocent or guilty–this was a way an accused person could avoid the confiscation of their family property). I don’t remember her name but I’m sure folks on this board can fill you in. I believe there were several hundred Catholics in all executed as traitors in England.
You might try “The Stripping of the Altars” by Duffy. But I don’t know of any single work that discusses the subject across national boundries.
*Salvation at Stake, *by Brad Gregory (a Catholic), discusses martyrdom and persecution throughout Europe in the sixteenth century (though he focuses on the earlier stuff so doesn’t talk as much as he might about the Elizabethan martyrs, if I remember rightly). He deals with all the confessional groups, so this is the best way to get an overview of who persecuted whom. However, he’s more interested in studying attitudes than in compiling statistics. As far as I know there is no comprehensive, scholarly discussion of the subject. I once dreamed of writing such a work, but I’ve gone in a different direction–and frankly it would be a huge and unpleasant task.
Edwin
There are the 40 martyrs of England and Wales, these were the most notable ones. But these were only a small number of the total who were executed: St Robert Southwell, St John Fisher, Bl Henry Walpole, Thomas Ford, John Skirt, Thomas Hemerford, John Nutter, John Munden, William Filby, Lawrance Richardson, Robert Johnson, Thomas CottomAlexander Bryant SJ, George Haydock, Bl Robert Fisher-who was still dressed in his vestments for mass when taken, imprisoned and tortured, Blessed Edmond Campion SJ and his companions, Bl Augustinian Eebster, Bl Richared Reynolds, Bl John Hale, Bl John Houghton, Bl Robert Lawrence, layman Robert Rudston. Dr Lawrence Cooke, John Prine,Adam Sedbar, Thomas Fitzgerald- 9th earl of Kildare and his 5 uncles, Bl Philip Howard- Earl of Arundel, Lord Stafford and 25-others, to name but a few.One example that immediately comes to mind is St. Thomas More, martyr in England.
Of course it was. The modern state is a blasphemous monstrosity and the Gunpowder Plotters would have done well to blow it (but not of course the human beings found in the Houses of Parliament) sky high. . .For Catholics persecuted in Elizabethan England:
Alice Hogge, GOD’S SECRET AGENTS. Queen Elizabeth’s
Forbidden Priests and the Hatching of the Gunpowder Plot.
NY: Harper Collins Publishers, 2005.
This author does a good job of documenting the anti-(Roman)
Catholicism of the period, but she paints the persecution of
Catholics as an English effort to “defend the state” against
Vatican “secret agents”, especially English Jesuits.
For Catholics persecuted in Elizabethan England:
Alice Hogge, GOD’S SECRET AGENTS. Queen Elizabeth’s
Forbidden Priests and the Hatching of the Gunpowder Plot.
NY: Harper Collins Publishers, 2005.
This author does a good job of documenting the anti-(Roman)
Catholicism of the period, but she paints the persecution of
Catholics as an English effort to “defend the state” against
Vatican “secret agents”, especially English Jesuits.
Jeremy,I’m having trouble coming up with specific examples of Catholics being persecuted by Protestants during the Reformation. Anyone have any examples?