Catholics, please help me understand

  • Thread starter Thread starter La-Petite-Fleur
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

La-Petite-Fleur

Guest
When the Catholic Church teaches that only the Trinity is worthy of worship (i.e.- all gods are false), and that Jesus is the only source of salvation, does this apply only to Christians, or is this a universal truth (non-moral-relativist) that is meant for everyone to accept?

I’m asking this because if we are instructed to proclaim the gospel (& the truths of the church), and things such as “there is only One who should be worshipped” and “Jesus is the only Savior” are part of that universal truth, then polytheists and the like will usually end up calling us bigoted just for those beliefs, because our beliefs are not of moral relativism (and they find the Church’s one-universal-truth-for-all intolerant… I guess they want us to accept that there are other sources of salvation other than Jesus, and that God doesn’t disapprove of god [little ‘g’] worship). So again that leads back to my question, despite what bad names people may call Catholics, does the church teach that only the Trinity is worthy of worship (i.e.- all gods are false), and that Jesus is the only source of salvation? And most importantly does this apply only to Christians, or is this a universal truth (non-moral-relativist) that the Catholic Church means everyone (not just Christians) ‘should’ accept?

Thanks 🙂
 
The very word “Catholic” means “Universal”. So yes we believe that the teachings of the Church apply to everyone, Christian or not.

Yes, we also believe that God is the only one worthy of worship, and that Jesus is the only source of salvation.

“No one comes to the Father except through me” John 14:6
 
The Catholic Church is here to teach the whole world the truth about Jesus. Those who reject Jesus and reject the Church may well be doing so for good and honest reasons, but ultimately, there will come a moment of clarity in their lives when they will know what it is that they are choosing or rejecting.

Let me put it another way to you: After the Judgement Day, everyone will either be a Catholic Saint, or else they will be in Hell. In the end, there will be no middle ground.
 
Two questions:

1- So it’s not wrong for me to believe or say (politely and as long as I keep in mind CC 843) that Jesus is the only source of salvation for the whole world, and therefore each and every person (no matter what their religion) needs Jesus, and that only the Trinity is worthy of worship (all other gods are false)?

2- To be precise and specific:
As a Catholic, can I proclaim to the world these Catholic truths as statements of absolute fact/universal truth, (which would, in effect, deny & refuse the polytheist claim that there’s more than one God & that Jesus’ salvation is just ‘a way’ like any other & not ‘the way’). I just want to make sure that these are universal truths that I can say as universal truths and definitive statements rather than moral reletivist ‘options’.

I just want to make sure it’s okay for me to proclaim these truths as absolute universal truths for everyone, so that I will know that when they call me a “bigot” because I don’t say these things in a moral relativist way (& thus not accept that polytheism is ‘okay’ or “another option” or “equal to Catholicism” -although I do agree in their legal religious freedom) that I’m not the one in error.
 
Two questions:

1- So it’s not wrong for me to believe or say (politely and as long as I keep in mind CC 843) that Jesus is the only source of salvation for the whole world, and therefore each and every person (no matter what their religion) needs Jesus, and that only the Trinity is worthy of worship (all other gods are false)?
That’s right. Everyone who is saved, is saved by Jesus Christ, in the Catholic Church, even if they never hear His name spoken, nor ever step foot through the door of an actual parish building, in their earthly lives.
2- To be precise and specific:
As a Catholic, can I proclaim to the world these Catholic truths as statements of absolute fact/universal truth, (which would, in effect, deny & refuse the polytheist claim that there’s more than one God & that Jesus’ salvation is just ‘a way’ like any other & not ‘the way’). I just want to make sure that these are universal truths that I can say as universal truths and definitive statements rather than moral reletivist ‘options’.
Yes, you can. Indeed, you would do well to speak in such a way as to simply assume these truths to be true, without opening any doors towards questioning them at all.
I just want to make sure it’s okay for me to proclaim these truths as absolute universal truths for everyone, so that I will know that when they call me a “bigot” because I don’t say these things in a moral relativist way (& thus not accept that polytheism is ‘okay’ or “another option” or “equal to Catholicism” -although I do agree in their legal religious freedom) that I’m not the one in error.
You can safely proclaim these and all the truths of the Catholic faith in that way, and know with certainty that you are not the one in error.

God bless you!!
 
Two questions:

1- So it’s not wrong for me to believe or say (politely and as long as I keep in mind CC 843) that Jesus is the only source of salvation for the whole world, and therefore each and every person (no matter what their religion) needs Jesus, and that only the Trinity is worthy of worship (all other gods are false)?

2- To be precise and specific:
As a Catholic, can I proclaim to the world these Catholic truths as statements of absolute fact/universal truth, (which would, in effect, deny & refuse the polytheist claim that there’s more than one God & that Jesus’ salvation is just ‘a way’ like any other & not ‘the way’). I just want to make sure that these are universal truths that I can say as universal truths and definitive statements rather than moral reletivist ‘options’.

I just want to make sure it’s okay for me to proclaim these truths as absolute universal truths for everyone, so that I will know that when they call me a “bigot” because I don’t say these things in a moral relativist way (& thus not accept that polytheism is ‘okay’ or “another option” or “equal to Catholicism” -although I do agree in their legal religious freedom) that I’m not the one in error.
Moral relativism in and of itself is relative. Once you move away from absolute truth you open up yourself for whatever shows itself as being “truth”. This refutes itself since if I say that something is true for me but not necessarily for you then how do I know it’s true at all? I am a male, a husband and a father of three. If I claim to be a female, a wife and a mother of four then I’m misrepresenting truth and because I call myself a male, a husband and a father of three does not make me a bigot. I am simply stating truth.

Many will try to define the existence of God as relative. But God does not cease to exist just because some refuse to believe that He does. So, YES, there is one God. He sent His only Son to redeem us and to be present with us in His Church. There is no need to water any of this down for ecumenical purposes. Truth is Truth. And it really is that simple, you’d think anyway…God Bless…teachccd
 
As the others have said, you would be perfectly correct in saying those things. You might want to keep in mind how you say it though. Your profile says you are a convert, so you probably know that a less blunt way of proclaiming the truth is often more effective.
 
[La-Petite-Fleur;1968799]When the Catholic Church teaches that only the Trinity is worthy of worship (i.e.- all gods are false), and that Jesus is the only source of salvation, does this apply only to Christians, or is this a universal truth (non-moral-relativist) that is meant for everyone to accept?
I’m asking this because if we are instructed to proclaim the gospel (& the truths of the church), and things such as “there is only One who should be worshipped” and “Jesus is the only Savior” are part of that universal truth, then polytheists and the like will usually end up calling us bigoted just for those beliefs, because our beliefs are not of moral relativism (and they find the Church’s one-universal-truth-for-all intolerant… I guess they want us to accept that there are other sources of salvation other than Jesus, and that God doesn’t disapprove of god [little ‘g’] worship). So again that leads back to my question, despite what bad names people may call Catholics, does the church teach that only the Trinity is worthy of worship (i.e.- all gods are false), and that Jesus is the only source of salvation? And most importantly does this apply only to Christians, or is this a universal truth (non-moral-relativist) that the Catholic Church means everyone (not just Christians) ‘should’ accept?

Thanks 🙂
It is a universal truth that only God is to be worshiped and that Jesus is the ONLY way to salvation and that He is part of a Triune God.
Whether or not a person “knows” Jesus IS the way, yet follows what he/she knows to be true about God or what they call “God” is another issue. Luke 12:48 says “Much will be required of the person entrusted with much, and still more will be demanded of the person entrusted with more.”
This implies that a person who through no fault of their own follows faithfully what they know to be true about God can still be saved; note this person and everyone else is saved soley because of the merits of Christ Jesus on the cross and that people are only culpable of what they know to be true; certainly only God knows. Only God is to be worshiped yet if a pantheist’s only knowledge of God is of many God’s yet does so in a faithful way, which doesn’t violate the universal moral law/natural law then is is possible for that person to be saved. If that pantheist attacks the Catholic Church in ignorance then God only knows whether that person is truly culpable for their actions and whether they are geniune in their pursuit of what they know of God.
 
Two questions:

1- So it’s not wrong for me to believe or say (politely and as long as I keep in mind CC 843) that Jesus is the only source of salvation for the whole world, and therefore each and every person (no matter what their religion) needs Jesus, and that only the Trinity is worthy of worship (all other gods are false)?

2- To be precise and specific:
As a Catholic, can I proclaim to the world these Catholic truths as statements of absolute fact/universal truth, (which would, in effect, deny & refuse the polytheist claim that there’s more than one God & that Jesus’ salvation is just ‘a way’ like any other & not ‘the way’). I just want to make sure that these are universal truths that I can say as universal truths and definitive statements rather than moral reletivist ‘options’.

I just want to make sure it’s okay for me to proclaim these truths as absolute universal truths for everyone, so that I will know that when they call me a “bigot” because I don’t say these things in a moral relativist way (& thus not accept that polytheism is ‘okay’ or “another option” or “equal to Catholicism” -although I do agree in their legal religious freedom) that I’m not the one in error.
Yes that Jesus is the only way to heaven, that their is ONE God and He alone is to be worshiped are universal truths whether or not a person accepts them. A caveat though, if you say this point blank in a sort of dogmatic or in-your-face approach to a non-Christian, that person may become hostile and over reactive to your statement and respond with anger even though what you’ve said IS true. Perhaps you can remember 1 Peter 3:15 “Always be ready to give an explanation to anyone who asks you for a reason for your hope, **but do it with gentleness and reverence, keeping your conscience clear, so that, when you are maligned, those who defame your good conduct in Christ may themselves be put to shame.” **

**I myself often need to live by the words of St. Peter and be more gentle and reverent in my explainations without going so far as going outside the boundaries of Catholic teaching. 🙂 **
 
La petite fleur,

another way to look at it would be to think of Jesus as TRUTH. So saying that the only way to get to Heaven is through Jesus is saying that the only way to get to Heaven is through at least some thruth. The church also teaches that the more truth you have as long as you live by that truth, the better chance you have of getting to Heaven. So the church is not necessarily saying that you have to be a Christian to get to Heaven (although it is easier b/c Christians have more truth) you just have to have and live by some truth. Thus by doing that you are going through Jesus (the TRUTH) to get to Heaven. I hope this helps you and I hope this makes sense.

Thanks and God bless,
Jacob
 
Thanks everyone. I understand now. The universal truths of God are meant for everyone (even if they don’t agree/believe) and not just for Christians. That’s basically all I needed to know. May we all continue to proclaim the truth to the world 👍.
 
Although, I’m curious: Some non-Christians are absolutely convinced that they are right to worship other gods. I’m especially talking about the ones that actually know the teachings of Christianity, but deny (for what ever reason) that God’s Truths are indeed true. Obviously moral relativism is a blinding condition. Which leads me to this:

39Jesus said, “For judgment I have come into this world, so that the blind will see and those who see will become blind.” 40Some Pharisees who were with him heard him say this and asked, “What? Are we blind too?”
41Jesus said, "If you were blind, you would not be guilty of sin; but now that you claim you can see, your guilt remains.

What’s the point of proclaiming the truth of Christ to the world if the blind are not guilty of sin, and wouldn’t be found guilty of sin, because of their ignorance (blindness)? If they can make it to heaven without knowing God’s truth, why should we proclaim the truth to them?
 
Please disregard my last post. Allow me to restate it this way:

Those who, through no fault of their own, do not know the Gospel of Christ or his Church, but who nevertheless seek God with a sincere heart, and, moved by grace, try in their actions to do his will as they know it through the dictates of their conscience - those too may achieve eternal salvation.337

So if they can achieve eternal salvation as they are, why preach the gospel to them?
 
So if they can achieve eternal salvation as they are, why preach the gospel to them?
Because it’s nice to know the truth.

What if your parents had never told you that there was no Santa Claus and you went your whole life believing in him? It wouldn’t hurt you morally, but it would make life harder for you. If you someday found out, you’d also wonder why none of your family or friends had told you.

The only reason I’m alive today and didn’t just give up hope when times got hard is because I had God. When I see these people who believe in imperfect, vengeful, uncaring gods, I wonder how they can worship someone like that. I need God’s mercy, love, forgiveness, guidance! The parts of my life that have been harder because of my faith are worth it because of everything that has been made so much easier because of my faith!

Matt5:11-12 “Blessed are you when men reproach you, and persecute you, and, speaking falsely, say all manner of evil against you for my sake. Rejoice and exult, because your reward is great in Heaven; for so did they persecute the prophets who were before you.”
❤️
 
So if they can achieve eternal salvation as they are, why preach the gospel to them?
That they can does not automatically mean that they will. Maybe all the pagans will make it to Heaven. Wonderful!

But maybe none of them will. It’s a gamble, because they are going through life “by feel,” and feelings are notoriously deceptive.

The graces we receive from Christ through His Catholic Church in our journey of life are very, very important - they’re the “lights” that show the way, so that we can be sure that we are (or are not, as the case may be) on the correct path.

To give an analogy - suppose you see someone walking along the edge of a cliff wearing a blindfold. Do you say to yourself, “Well, the path is cut into the side, and surely he will feel the edges of the path, and stay in it,” or do you run to him, help him off with the blindfold, and show him the path - and rejoice when he also starts to notice the beautiful scenery that is all around him? 🙂
 
So if they can achieve eternal salvation as they are, why preach the gospel to them?
Because the little story where Christ died on a cross for them is kinda neat. In all seriousness, this should be a no brainer. When taken in context we know that the Gospel should be proclaimed from the housetops. But in the valid chance that one never hears it they will not be held accountable. Jesus is merely stating that He loves us all. But please let everyone know what Christ did. It’s really a big and infinitely loving action…God Bless:)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top