Catholics Slamming the Church

  • Thread starter Thread starter mdstanzel
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mdstanzel

Guest
My wife is a candidate in RCIA this year. She is also participating in a book club at the parish led by the assistant pastor.

They’re supposed to be talking about a book that happens to be a little wierd. She comes form a very conservative anti-Catholic background but has seemed to find a source of truth and peac with that truth in the teachings. However, almost everyone at the table seemed to be either focused on tearing down the Church by saying the Protestants have it right with solo scriptura because they don’t have to buy all these books to learn about the teachings over and over. …etc. 15 minute rant without father stopping him. He knows us very well because of our baptisms, convalidation issues, etc. The wife is from an elder’s(bishop) non-denomination church on top of this.

Someone else ranted over the Church needing to pick up the tab for us Catholics for Catholic school costs. She complained that her friend couldn’t afford the cost for her 7th school. What a sorry bitch session. That’s $3,000 to $4,000 a head. So maybe $15,000 to $20,000 per year. I’d home school and take them to Rome once a year.

Another ranted over partially writing out one of her children from her will because of a mistake that they had made many years prior.

My wife almost had a nervous breakdown and said to herself, “Why am I setting myself up to lose my family for all of these cradle Catholics”. “They all hate the Catholic teachings and are slamming it.” I add why did Father not stop all of this non-sense.

What to do. Orthodox is looking better everyday.
 
Maybe try a different parish? Although I would have trouble not asking these people why exactly they’re calling themselves Catholics in the first place.

Unfortunately there are bad Christians in every denomination. I hope and pray you and your wife find a parish that follows God and the Church, and not merely their own selfish desires.

Orthodox is Catholic too. Go where God leads you.

Sorry I can’t help much.

God Bless
 
Sounds like a lousy group to be in. Tell her to drop out, they don’t sound like very much fun.
 
If I was you guys, I’d go to your pastor and ask for some sort of alternative, or else get him to step in. If he knows you guys have his back then he may be more comfortable responding to them.

I’d also make a point to bring up that SS is nowhere found in the Bible so there is no way that the Protestants have it right. Make 'em support their garbage with facts and scripture and when they can’t…(and they can’t!) lay the facts out for them. You can attend RCIA with your wife, so don’t let these wienies mess with her.

I love what you said about homeschooling and the trip to Rome! Brilliant! The fact is that the people saying that are too lazy and faithless to tackle that task. Can you imagine their efforts to catechize their own kids!? :eek:

Now you see why God is doing such a revival within His church. We are the RCIA teachers to come and this is why we endure the garbage that we have so far.
Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum.
 
I disagree that people not wanting to homeschool are lazy and faithless. Some people just aren’t tempermentally cut out for that task, or else both parents work fulltime. I do like the idea of saving all that money for a trip to Rome though.👍
 
Start with the priest.

If you don’t get a favorable response, try another parish and send this post to the Bishop.

I guarantee you there are many a parish where this is not typical behaviour.

Chuck
My wife is a candidate in RCIA this year. She is also participating in a book club at the parish led by the assistant pastor.

They’re supposed to be talking about a book that happens to be a little wierd. She comes form a very conservative anti-Catholic background but has seemed to find a source of truth and peac with that truth in the teachings. However, almost everyone at the table seemed to be either focused on tearing down the Church by saying the Protestants have it right with solo scriptura because they don’t have to buy all these books to learn about the teachings over and over. …etc. 15 minute rant without father stopping him. He knows us very well because of our baptisms, convalidation issues, etc. The wife is from an elder’s(bishop) non-denomination church on top of this.

Someone else ranted over the Church needing to pick up the tab for us Catholics for Catholic school costs. She complained that her friend couldn’t afford the cost for her 7th school. What a sorry bitch session. That’s $3,000 to $4,000 a head. So maybe $15,000 to $20,000 per year. I’d home school and take them to Rome once a year.

Another ranted over partially writing out one of her children from her will because of a mistake that they had made many years prior.

My wife almost had a nervous breakdown and said to herself, “Why am I setting myself up to lose my family for all of these cradle Catholics”. “They all hate the Catholic teachings and are slamming it.” I add why did Father not stop all of this non-sense.

What to do. Orthodox is looking better everyday.
 
The Pastor is great. They are both Franciscans, aka T.O.R. We like them but I still don’t know why the AP dropped the ball. The RCIA Director is really good. I know bible and the Teachings of the Church. I went to the Catholic Seminary and all of this anti-Catholicism got to me way back then. My wife’s family was great for a while until I learned the true meaning behind the solo scriptura church of Christ teachings.

I just wanted to show her that there are lots of us here that are hacked at the lame cradle Catholics that have failed to become Transformed in their faith by answering the call to continuing conversion and learning their faith. Scripture backs the chruch 100%. I can’t figure out why others don’t see that. It’s true Tradition is extremely important. It took me a long time to see what was happening over many years of seriously looking at solo scriptura from a practicing Protestant perspective. But in my error it jumped out at me that the Protestant churches have their own Traditions and Majesterium. It’s true. I married into a Protestant Elder’s/Pastor’s family with Preachers/Ministers, Deacons where women are to be silent ans subject to men. I don’t buy into that last part but it cuts a lot of confusion with who’s boss [bad joke].

This is the good parish. The assistant Pastor is fairly new (working on 3rd year). But we haven’t looked around beyond 2 parishes. And I know about Orthodox because the priesthood seems right for me. I’m limited to the permanent diaconate with Rome. But I’ll let God lead me.
 
What to do. Orthodox is looking better everyday.
Orthodox is not an option if you want to remain fully loyal to Christ and His Church. (I’m speaking of the schismatic Orthodox, not Eastern Rite Catholics.) Orthodoxy is little better than what you’re complaining about.
 
If you ever experienced a church of Christ, you’d run to the Eastern Orthodox Church with open arms. Apparenetly I deleted the part where I said to not address this issue on this thread. Thanks. Take that to another thread where they care. I’m worried about something else and I know a lot about many different religions. Orthodoxy is facinating to me for too many reasons to list here.

My agenda is not to condemn or hate other Christians - even for the those that hate us. I’m a returning Catholic and after my first experience with Catholicism it should be inspiring that I researched Orthodox along with Catholicism to conclude that Rome is my home. I’m saying that I like Orthodox - no more. It’s orthodox. It still looks like the early Church - catholic. IMHO Rome did a lot that it should not have done, historically. But that doesn’t justify all the hate from them either. JPII started trying to open the door. I would like to see the Great Reunion one day. But it will only be with a lot of work in a positive direction.

There are many Catholics that hate non-Catholics as well and would prefer to keep people like my wife out. That’s just not Christian. But I don’t want to go there on this thread. My degree is in Geography and I like to study people, history, cultures, religions and places.
 
Yeah well you should definitely not become a priest. You really aren’t fit for it. I/We can tell by the way you talk.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top