Y
yinekka
Guest
My daughter’s, soon to be, Greek Orthodox inlaws have told her that it was the Catholics who split from the Orthodox, not the other way round. What can I say to charitably refute this?
You might ask them first about the evidence for their claim. Then, based on what they say, you could present them with an article that addresses their point of view. Tell them you will investigate their claim and get back to them.My daughter’s, soon to be, Greek Orthodox inlaws have told her that it was the Catholics who split from the Orthodox, not the other way round. What can I say to charitably refute this?
I think it is probably safe to say that the split was mutual. While people tend to point at one or two incidents as being the cause of the split, the reality is that the split occured over centuries. The earliest cause of the split was the division of the Roman Empire and the eventual fall of the Western Empire. And like that fall, most people didn’t recognize it as having happened until some time after the fact.I thought the split was the result of differences of opinion that were never reconciled. I’m gonna guess that if you read up on it you’ll find that either Church has just as much claim to be the one that “split”.
Hi yinekka,My daughter’s, soon to be, Greek Orthodox inlaws have told her that it was the Catholics who split from the Orthodox, not the other way round. What can I say to charitably refute this?
Hi RNRobert,I know that in 1054 the leaders of the Catholic and Orthodox churches mutually excommunicated each other…
Hi mchale,I think it is probably safe to say that the split was mutual…
I think it is probably safe to say that the split was mutual…
Hi yinekka,
There is a difference between stating that the split was mututal and stating that both Churches are now in schism from the One True Church. Both sides have their reasons for believing that the other is in schism, but that is a religious issue, from a historical issue, the reality is that there were issues on both sides that ultimately lead to the split from each other. Ultimately, the reason why each side claims the other started the split is precisely because neither side wants to admit the possibility that they are the Church in schism.Hi mchale,
–
Bill
Yes, indeed, I think you are right. However, my mind always goes back to John 21:11: “Simon Peter went up, and drew the net to land, full of great fishes, one hundred and fifty-three. And although there were so many, the net was not broken.” According to Stephen Ray, the Greek word used here for broken translates to “schizo”, which is the root for the word schism. It is fascinating then that *Peter’s *net was not in schism (not broken) when he brought the fishes (which represent all nations) to Jesus. Of course, this is an interpretation, but for me it tips the scales in favor of the only Church that claims Peter as its first Pope. It is also interesting that there are a few examples of the early eastern Churches submitting to the authority of the Pope–why would they do that if the Pope did not have a special position of authority. The claim is now that the Pope in Rome never had any authority of the other Patriarchs, but there is evidence to the contrary. At least that is what I’ve read in “The Faith of our Fathers” by Cardinal Gibbons.There is a difference between stating that the split was mututal and stating that both Churches are now in schism from the One True Church. Both sides have their reasons for believing that the other is in schism, but that is a religious issue, from a historical issue, the reality is that there were issues on both sides that ultimately lead to the split from each other. Ultimately, the reason why each side claims the other started the split is precisely because neither side wants to admit the possibility that they are the Church in schism.
–
Bill
Please understand here, I am Catholic and am not trying to argue the Orthodox, or indeed any Theological position here. Rather I am looking at the actual historical situation. Heck, there had already been Anti-Popes before the Catholic-Orthodox Schism. Certainly it seems logical to assume that the Orthodox truely believed that the Pope at the time was in fact not acting as the true descendent of Peter, and therefore did not believe that they were being schismatic but rather preserving the Church.Yes, indeed, I think you are right. However, my mind always goes back to John 21:11: “Simon Peter went up, and drew the net to land, full of great fishes, one hundred and fifty-three. And although there were so many, the net was not broken.” According to Stephen Ray, the Greek word used here for broken translates to “schizo”, which is the root for the word schism. It is fascinating then that *Peter’s *net was not in schism (not broken) when he brought the fishes (which represent all nations) to Jesus. Of course, this is an interpretation, but for me it tips the scales in favor of the only Church that claims Peter as its first Pope. It is also interesting that there are a few examples of the early eastern Churches submitting to the authority of the Pope–why would they do that if the Pope did not have a special position of authority. The claim is now that the Pope in Rome never had any authority of the other Patriarchs, but there is evidence to the contrary. At least that is what I’ve read in “The Faith of our Fathers” by Cardinal Gibbons.